Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

98 down a DJ.......

• 25-11-2008 7:06pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 944 ✭✭✭

Rumour has it a key daytime jock walked today..............

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,575 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

No kiddin' I didn't feel any earthquake!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 lampydoo

marty miller gone from the website.... very odd

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

lampydoo wrote:
    marty miller gone from the website.... very odd
    Not odd at all - he's gone from the station.

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭Singer73

Thses guys are 10 a PENNY, with their faux mid atlantic accents, their low intellect and their 'affable' idiocy...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 944 ✭✭✭Big Balls

Go away, troll.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭Enda Caldwell

Singer73 wrote: »
    Thses guys are 10 a PENNY, with their faux mid atlantic accents, their low intellect and their 'affable' idiocy...

I Don't know what you are talking about. Marty is one of the best music radio professionals in Ireland. I remember him being one of thee most focused,intelligent, sharp witty and professional people in our class of '93 in College. I am sure he is off to bigger and better things, furthermore, if they are "10 a penny" then why do you not have a go? Sure! Marty is a mover and shaker in the industry - and he never lets the grass grow under his feet. There is a lot to be said for moving onwards and upwards both in life and in radio. The culture in the states and indeed the UK is for jocks to spend a year, maybe 2 in a gig average, then move on to something else or if they are happy there to stay. In the Irish market that sort of career progression is frowned upon. Get real, people have goals and they want to achieve things. So what if someone stays only 6 months in a gig? If they move on of their own choice who should question that? Nobody, is the answer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭Culture2007

There is a lot to be said for moving onwards and upwards both in life and in radio. The culture in the states and indeed the UK is for jocks to spend a year, maybe 2 in a gig average, then move on to something else or if they are happy there to stay. In the Irish market that sort of career progression is frowned upon. Get real, people have goals and they want to achieve things. So what if someone stays only 6 months in a gig? If they move on of their own choice who should question that? Nobody, is the answer.

You say in the US/UK presenters stay in a gig if they're happy, but if not, they move on after the first year. Isn't that the same in any industry? People move jobs for many different reasons. If you think Ireland is different then perhaps it's because more presenters are actually happy doing their show or there may be no suitable opportunities available for them to move to.

Who frowns upon career progression in the Irish market?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,768 ✭✭✭GSF

If it takes 12-18 months to make an impression on a show & on the JNLR's, it doesnt make much sense to employ someone only for 6 months.

You say in the US/UK presenters stay in a gig if they're happy, but if not, they move on after the first year. Isn't that the same in any industry? People move jobs for many different reasons. If you think Ireland is different then perhaps it's because more presenters are actually happy doing their show or there may be no suitable opportunities available for them to move to.

Who frowns upon career progression in the Irish market?

You have said a lot in your answer there - and in a sense answered yourself in doing so. Who frowns? The industry frowns, that's who! I think the case is more of there being no suitable opportunities for people to move to.

Take some examples:

Say Eamonn Andrews, Terry Wogan or Pierce Brosnan stayed in Ireland.. or Dermot Morgan.. or The Corrs? Or U2? Where had these famous people actually to go to make it? In radio it's the same.

You reach a certain level in Ireland and that's it!

Gerry Ryan is doing much the same airshift now on the same station he was on 20 years ago when I was 13, I am now 33! And his opposition was playing with puppets on TV back then..

At least we know that in 2 years Simon Mayo is taking over BBC Radio 2 midmornings.. and that is going to happen.

In Ireland there is a saying and it is.. " shir,,, ya know yaself the way it izzz, sure someone would either have to die in there or ( insert option as ridiculous as first one here ) before ya'd get a gig there.." :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,293 ✭✭✭Fuzzy Clam

Take some examples:

Say Eamonn Andrews, Terry Wogan or Pierce Brosnan stayed in Ireland.. or Dermot Morgan.. or The Corrs? Or U2? Where had these famous people actually to go to make it? In radio it's the same.

Gerry Ryan is doing much the same airshift now on the same station he was on 20 years ago when I was 13, I am now 33! And his opposition was playing with puppets on TV back then..
    Jeez, you're clutchin' at straws now Enda. Eamonn and Terry left when there weren't the opportunities there are here now and when they did leave it was to build a career with a major broadcaster in the UK. Pierce was barely out of nappies when he went. As for the Corrs, well don't start. As for U2, they quite convienently still "reside" in Ireland for Tax purposes, don't they?

Still, you never stayed in one job long enough to reach the heady heights like Gerry or Ray, did you? Why is that?

• Advertisement

Who frowns? The industry frowns

Can you give some examples of the radio industry in Ireland frowning upon someone who has moved to a better gig on a different station?

The examples you gave don't back up your argument. Nobody frowns at seeing Pierce Brosnan in a Hollywood blockbuster. Nobody frowns at seeing U2 sell out world wide. Where is this hostility at someone bettering themselves in radio?

The only issue I would have with a presenter leaving after a few months is if they didn't give his/her show time to develop and find it's audience. I'd worry the presenter could be making a mistake by leaving a possible successful radio gig.

What level is that?

People have different goals in their career. You seem to believe that having a successful radio career in Ireland is not enough. I disagree. Perhaps for you it's a goal to work overseas, but for many it has no appeal whatsoever. There are presenters who have been doing the same show on commercial radio for years. That doesn't mean they haven't achieved something. They could be quite happy in their job. I would think that's more important.

As for Gerry Ryan, I'm sure he's very happy he didn't walk out of RTE after 6 months.

Fuzzy Clam wrote: »
    Jeez, you're clutchin' at straws now Enda. Eamonn and Terry left when there weren't the opportunities there are here now and when they did leave it was to build a career with a major broadcaster in the UK. Pierce was barely out of nappies when he went. As for the Corrs, well don't start. As for U2, they quite convienently still "reside" in Ireland for Tax purposes, don't they?

Still, you never stayed in one job long enough to reach the heady heights like Gerry or Ray, did you? Why is that?

What opportunities in Ireland Fuzzy Clam?

Sorry, err, I was in Atlantic 252 fulltime until it's very last day when it closed down, and it is not my fault the DRM Project of Radio Luxembourg ran out of money! I have letters to say I would STILL be in both those jobs IF the stations still existed so I'd like to point that out to you. Those were my 2 biggest stations, bigger than anything in Ireland. I was headhunted to work in other jobs. If things are not right in the job and what is promised on a contract is not honoured in reality then of course there can be issues - especially if a person is being exploited.
    Simon Bates once made a good comment about being " a firm believer in saying bye-bye:), before the management gets the opportunity to do it".

So for all your pointing out that you do and asking questions you do you cannot answer my question - why is it so difficult to make it in Irish radio?

Do you not think that it is a bit rich that a middle aged man who once was hip and cool is now STILL doing the same gig 20 years on - on a station that was intended to be for the youth of Ireland?

And that on the other channel - the person REJECTED by the station of the middle aged man for being no-good is bringing a new form of "eejitry" to the dizzy heights (and now receeding JNLRS) to the nation?

As for Pierce Brosnan - he says he was bullied in school in Navan and has not that many great memories to share of Navan, or Ireland for that matter. Can't say I blame the guy.

Can you give some examples of the radio industry in Ireland frowning upon someone who has moved to a better gig on a different station?

The examples you gave don't back up your argument. Nobody frowns at seeing Pierce Brosnan in a Hollywood blockbuster. Nobody frowns at seeing U2 sell out world wide. Where is this hostility at someone bettering themselves in radio?

The only issue I would have with a presenter leaving after a few months is if they didn't give his/her show time to develop and find it's audience. I'd worry the presenter could be making a mistake by leaving a possible successful radio gig.

What level is that?

People have different goals in their career. You seem to believe that having a successful radio career in Ireland is not enough. I disagree. Perhaps for you it's a goal to work overseas, but for many it has no appeal whatsoever. There are presenters who have been doing the same show on commercial radio for years. That doesn't mean they haven't achieved something. They could be quite happy in their job. I would think that's more important.

As for Gerry Ryan, I'm sure he's very happy he didn't walk out of RTE after 6 months.

You have made some very very good points there Culture and I would agree wholeheartedly with you.

So should they do a survey of WHO is actually happy in their gig in Ireland?
    No matter how LONG they are in the gig, or what show they are doing or how MUCH money that they earn or how many "brownie points" they earned from the bosses for "hole-licking" they got over the years, let's ask them! Let's do a "Happiness survey" And I am SURE there will be some interesting results! I could tell you from speaking to people perhaps at a guess what some of the answers would be!

There is an awful lot of lip-biting going on here and there. Let's open the whole can of worms and show the thing in ALL it's glory!!

So should they do a survey of WHO is actually happy in their gig in Ireland?

I'm not sure who "they" are, but happiness and job satisfaction can be measured on many levels, so your survey might be quite complicated.

At the moment, I think actually having a job is a blessing to many people. Of course people will have some issues with the stations they work in, but most presenters worked hard to get to the position they're in and do their job because they love it. Nobody decided to do radio because it's a high paid job but thankfully things have improved in recent years and presenters have bonuses, VHI, pension plans etc.

People love to moan and bitch about their work. We all do it. However, people are paid to do a job. It's not a holiday camp and people are free to leave a job if they are unhappy. Personally, any station I've worked in has had a good fun atmosphere. I suppose it comes down to how you view things in life.

Just to bring the thread back again.. Marty was great in 98 and did a great job. He was a breath of fresh air. He is a jock's jock.. the DJ's DJ so to speak and I'd like to wish him well where-'er he may roam. At the tail end of his time at South East we worked together,then again in the 00s at Today FM and so on.. this was just before he headed off to Spin. He has moved around - and nobody raised an eyebrow! Fair play , I'd love to say the same. If I go to the loo or leave the room for 5 minutes there are questions raised!! lol

I once had Spyder Harrison of SIRIUS/XM talk me right through his 30 year radio career over a coffee and a biscotti in his apartment in Miami, he took quite a LOoooNG time as he often was only in some of the stations 6 months or moved on elsewhere.. or sometimes had to work a contract out til he could move on. Some jobs he HAAAATED and nasty bosses who fired him who were worse sounding employers than even some of the drongo bosses I have had the displeasure of working for in a few stations down through the years..! , others he loved like WMYQ in Miami.. The main thing is he got 2 years on Z100 as The Jammer. In 30 or MORE years in radio he has one 2 year gig that people remember him best for inside the radio industry and outside the radio industry. ONE TWO YEAR GIG where he made his trademark. So that is why I have no fear of all these moves I have made over the years and admire Marty's moves too. I can say I worked on Atlantic 252 the same way that Spyder was on Z100 NYC, nobody can take that from you when YOU achieve your dreams, nobody.No matter how many hateful things you write on a radio discussion board or how many lies you tell about someone.

For me, I'll best remember when Marty was filling in for Rick in '95 on The Funny Farm on FM 104 - he was really getting a great break back then... and from there went to Southeast and so on and so forth.. here we all are nearly a decade on talking about one of the top jocks in the country.. So we all have nice memories there.. see.

The opportunity to get a prime time gig on a number of National stations rather than the only one that we had

why is it so difficult to make it in Irish radio?

Ah. Your not licking the right holes (methaphorically speaking, well possibly)

Do you not think that it is a bit rich that a middle aged man who once was hip and cool is now STILL doing the same gig 20 years on - on a station that was intended to be for the youth of Ireland?

If you mean G Ryan, he was never "hip and cool". EVER. He's just grown too fat to be prised from his chair in Donnybrook. And on his wage, would you blame him.

And that on the other channel - the person REJECTED by the station of the middle aged man for being no-good is bringing a new form of "eejitry" to the dizzy heights (and now receeding JNLRS) to the nation?

****, can't disagree with you there.

As for Pierce Brosnan - he says he was bullied in school in Navan and has not that many great memories to share of Navan, or Ireland for that matter. Can't say I blame the guy.

Has anybody got any good memories of Navan?:confused: Even so, he hardly tried for a career here before leaving the Emerald Isle.

I'm almost agreeing with you here Enda.

I'm almost agreeing with you here Enda.

Well as Brandy and Monica sang ... almost doesn't count! But in this case it's nice to see that you see my point in some way. Sure, there are plenty of memories good from Navan.. and the girls names are as follow..... S.... lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭bbability

Any idea where Marty is off to? No doubt 98 is turning into the B team from Hume House bit by bit.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭Preset No.3

What b team would that be now? I wasnt aware that dermot dave siobhan barry louise robbie or loads of others worked in fm104?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭Preset No.3

If things are not right in the job and what is promised on a contract is not honoured in reality then of course there can be issues.
    So what you should do is send a txt to your boss and say youre quitting an hour before you due to start your show!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 35 fatladysang

I can say I worked on Atlantic 252 the same way that Spyder was on Z100 NYC, nobody can take that from you when YOU achieve your dreams, nobody.No matter how many hateful things you write on a radio discussion board or how many lies you tell about someone.

For me, I'll best remember when Marty was filling in for Rick in '95 on The Funny Farm on FM 104 - he was really getting a great break back then... and from there went to Southeast and so on and so forth.. here we all are nearly a decade on talking about one of the top jocks in the country.. So we all have nice memories there.. see.

Is the post about Marty Millar or Enda Caldwell ?

Im confused ?

Is the post about Marty Millar or Enda Caldwell ?

Im confused ?

:)
    I'd love to say the same. If I go to the loo or leave the room for 5 minutes there are questions raised!! lol

Enda no disrespect but would you keep it on topic for the love of God.

Your bowel movements are actually not what the thread is about.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 129 ✭✭djsupreme

People in the industry don't frown upon people who move on or move about. They may question why someone has to keep moving on from station to station. Can they not get on with colleagues? Do they believe the grass is always greener?

The majority of jocks I know are very happy with their gigs. But I'm a firm believer that you get back what you put in. So, if you work hard for two years and the JNLRs are going up all the time, that's a buzz. Building a strong rapport with your listeners is great too. Constantly moving about and never sticking long enough at a gig to achieve anything would be soul destroying for me.

This isn't a dig at Enda or Marty or anyone in particular. Just a response to Enda's comments. Re: Marty - I think he's a wonderful jock, and will be missed on 98. Good luck to him wherever he ends up.

bbability wrote: »
    Any idea where Marty is off to? No doubt 98 is turning into the B team from Hume House bit by bit.

The reality is that the A team left Hume House long ago! The (real) strawberries, Declan, Joan.

djsupreme wrote: »
    The reality is that the A team left Hume House long ago! The (real) strawberries, Declan, Joan.

That's funny because bar C & J, the stations market share and reach actually went UP since the mass exodus. Have you seen Andy Preston's figures recently Supreme? You go and look for any music station in Dublin that has that type of audience in that daypart and come back to me.

Now I'm not one to believe that any music DJ has a large effect on ratings. Yes, if they're sh1t they will but for a listener to 104 or 98 its about the music, competitions and the breakfast show.

The current Strawberries are about 14,000 listeners off the figure that C & J peaked at, apart from that, I think you should go through 104s last 5 years of books and find a negative in them when comparing them to 98.

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭Manimal

Sorry, err, I was in Atlantic 252 fulltime until it's very last day when it closed down, and it is not my fault the DRM Project of Radio Luxembourg ran out of money! I have letters to say I would STILL be in both those jobs IF the stations still existed so I'd like to point that out to you. Those were my 2 biggest stations, bigger than anything in Ireland. .

Enda not trying to get at you mate (as I said I think you're a good broadcaster) but Atlantic 252 WAS in Ireland. In Trim. About twenty minutes away from Navan!

As for the 'new Radio Luxembourg'? I know you're trying to big yourself up here but lets be honest; it had more staff than listeners. KCLR in Kilkenny has more audience than the late digital 208

Anyway. Hope its warmer in Monaco than it is here in Dublin!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭bbability

djsupreme wrote: »

Joan Lee did spend a number of years on the Strawberry Alarm Clock but as for the other lad he's just a blow in;)

Big Balls (as usual) is right and its credit to Fm104. If you have a look around most of the Dublin stations today have ex-employees of 104. For example in the afternoon slot in Dublin today 3 former jocks are on other stations in Dublin.
    Steve K on Spin
    Declan Pierce on 98
    Steven Cooper on Q102

Its a credit to 104 for producing such wonderful talent.

What was behind Marty's sudden departure anyway? Anything to do with his voiceover work for 949 The Rock?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 Bum Boy

Who's covering for Dec at night these days on 98?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,429 ✭✭✭brettmirl

Bum Boy wrote: »
    Who's covering for Dec at night these days on 98?

You are I assume! :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭Manimal

Joan Lee did spend a number of years on the Strawberry Alarm Clock but as for the other lad he's just a blow in;)

Big Balls (as usual) is right and its credit to Fm104. If you have a look around most of the Dublin stations today have ex-employees of 104. For example in the afternoon slot in Dublin today 3 former jocks are on other stations in Dublin.
    Steve K on Spin
    Declan Pierce on 98
    Steven Cooper on Q102

What was behind Marty's sudden departure anyway? Anything to do with his voiceover work for 949 The Rock?

they fired Steve K and Cooper. Anyway Cooper had previous in 252 so 104 can't take the credit there...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 131 ✭✭Slicklink

Manimal wrote: »
    they fired Steve K and Cooper. Anyway Cooper had previous in 252 so 104 can't take the credit there...

And both Steve and Dec worked in Pulse103, so 104 cant take the credit either!

Steve K on Spin
    Declan Pierce on 98
    Steven Cooper on Q102

I wasn't trying to have a dig at 104 in my previous post. I just didn't feel it was fair to refer to talented people like Declan Pierce, Joan Lea, etc as the B team.

Your argument above doesn't really wash with me though. There is so much movement in the Dublin market - you could trace loads of jocks back to loads of stations. For example, South East Radio should get the real credit for giving breaks to Barry Dunne, Rick O'Shea, Steve K (way before FM104) etc.

Breakfast on Dublin radio is dominated by former 98 Breakfast people - Debbie on Q, Jim on 104, etc.

I for one anyway was not claiming 104 should take the credit for the jocks I just found it funny that someone was making out that it's now a second rate station because a few people left/were fired.

98 are playing catch up, let's face facts here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,559 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

I would agree. Gay Byrne was turned down by RTE in the 60's when they wanted TV presenters because, and I quote from his autobiography "he was too good".

Perhaps that's the reason Granada TV headhunted him initially in the early 60's.

Same goes for Derek Mooney who last week said on air that he failed his initial presenter interview with RTE.

It's hard to get any level of media success in this country because the industry, like the general populace, are begrudgers. There's a deep mistrust of talent and mediocrity will always be king.

Same goes for Derek Mooney who last week said on air that he failed his initial presenter interview with RTE.

It's hard to get any level of media success in this country because the industry, like the general populace, are begrudgers. There's a deep mistrust of talent and mediocrity will always be king.

I would agree and disagree. You're right in that RTE have always shied away from taking a risk on real raw talent, and instead, have relied on mediocre "safe" hands who they use ubiquitously on tv and radio.

However, I think Derek Mooney is the epitome of this. No obvious discernible talent, just safe tv and radio. Even considering this, I don't find it a shock that he failed his initial interview. I would expect any national broadcaster to have very high recruitment standards, and most people starting out in broadcasting expect knockbacks and constructive criticism to learn from.

Put it this way.....aside from people headhunted, how many broadcasters working in the BBC got in first time?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,726 ✭✭✭✭DMC

Jonathan Ross, Russell Brand....

koff. /gets coat.

Steve K on Spin
    Declan Pierce on 98
    Steven Cooper on Q102

I presume the last sentence is tongue in cheek.

These guys have been round a long time and have learnt the trade the hard way. IE for many years they did it for the love of radio and had to as there was no money involved. In many cases through persistence they improved over time.

104 can take credit for nothing as all they have done is bided their time whilst the pirate stations like pulse103 trained up their future staff! 3 ex pulse103 staff are still on 104, 2 work on 98, 4 work in Spin, and quite a few did or now work behind the scenes in RTE/2FM and a few other work on ILRs around the country and in the UK.

Cooper has been around years too and was in the original Q102 back in the late 80s, if I am not mistaken.

If you look at the line-up on Q102 now it bears more of a resemblance to how 104 was at the start. That’s changing times - inevitable in such a small country. Infact in some cases some of the Q staff now go back to Q102 of the 80s!

The thread itself does raise one interesting point though. What happens in 10/15 years time though ? Where are the training grounds these days ? Will PDs actually have to go out and seek raw talent and do actual training! It'll be more difficult than just hiring "ready to go" jocks. This will certainly be an issue with the stations aimed at the younger to middle age group of the market

Sure.... one toth promo !

Slicklink wrote: »
    The thread itself does raise one interesting point though. What happens in 10/15 years time though ? Where are the training grounds these days ? Will PDs actually have to go out and seek raw talent and do actual training! It'll be more difficult than just hiring "ready to go" jocks. This will certainly be an issue with the stations aimed at the younger to middle age group of the market

I think you'll find this is already happening outside Dublin. Stations like Beat, Red, Spin SW and the two I stations are giving young broadcasters a break, and training them up just like the old pirates. These stations will now be the hunting grounds for the big Dublin stations.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 148 ✭✭landmonster

Slicklink wrote: »
    Cooper has been around years too and was in the original Q102 back in the late 80s, if I am not mistaken.

I think you are mistaken. He started off in Kiss, didn't he?

Wasn't he on air when Kiss were raided?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 375 ✭✭MILF

98 is my favourite station but I always found Marty Miller a little rude to callers and sometimes a little patronising. He had a slightly weird manner for someone who's meant to be a DJ. Just my opinion....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,931 ✭✭✭patrickc

heard Marty miller on todayfm yesterday, so himself and Brian Mccaul are fill in jocks there now it seems.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭MaltHouse Mouse

Wasn't he on air when Kiss were raided?

He was caught out the back with the link tx one day by the lovely folk in the O.D.T.R.! The memories of Kiss 103!

Yes possibly was with KBs Kiss. It was Stephen Keogh that was in Q!. Boy wonder and all that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 148 ✭✭landmonster

He was caught out the back with the link tx one day by the lovely folk in the O.D.T.R.! The memories of Kiss 103!

There are some funny stories about those raids.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,271 ✭✭✭irish_bob

ive a question , are lisa heggarty from 98 and ruth scott one and the same person , bear in mind ive never seen lisa heggarty in the flesh , i have seen the FLESHY ruth scott

Advertisement