Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any Cod about?

Options
  • 25-11-2008 7:24pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 49

Has any of you guys caught any Cod yet? I was hoping to get out to wet the line over the weekend and I was hoping to hook a Codling. Is it wishful thinking?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 49 Fauldy Banny

Obviously not :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

From reading other forums they seem to be on the move in-shore. They're been caught around Killiney and Bray, good size too.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

Any being caught northside?I wouldnt know how to get to those far-flung places you mentioned.;)

Degsy wrote: »
    Any being caught northside?I wouldnt know how to get to those far-flung places you mentioned.;)

I haven't heard of any TBH. Why don't you jump on the Dart, that will bring practically onto the beach at Killiney and Bray is nearly the same.

You bloody northsiders! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭mawk

I was down in monkstown during the week and there didnt seem to be much in the way of specimen cod flying around. a few codling but that was all. plenty of whiting though, but most very very small

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

I'm off to dollymount tonight,if i catch anything i'll let yas know.

Edit
    Caught nothing except near-pneumonia.Plenty of small bites but no fish,i suspect it may have been eels.
    I was disgusted with myself as well as i'd left it to late to dig bait and the bloke i went to had no rag.he charged me 23 quid for 30 frozen lugworm!
    Not worth a toss.

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭disco biscuit

I am thinking about trying out shore angling.Could I go down to Monkstown sometime to get a bit of advice from you and see you in action.I didn't get a rod yet.I would like to have a look first before I make a move.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 452 ✭✭Welsh Wizard

Most shore codling fishing should pick up now with the cold snap we've had...

Pesky small whiting will take smaller hooks and you'll spend most of your time un-hooking and baiting up, (numb fingers) so make sure you use a larger hook like a size 3 Aberdeen.. Any decent Codling will engulf the hook no problem..

Will be heading out to Greystones beach next week, so will give you an update when i get back.. ;)

Most shore codling fishing should pick up now with the cold snap we've had...

Pesky small whiting will take smaller hooks and you'll spend most of your time un-hooking and baiting up, (numb fingers) so make sure you use a larger hook like a size 3 Aberdeen.. Any decent Codling will engulf the hook no problem..

Will be heading out to Greystones beach next week, so will give you an update when i get back.. ;)

I had a pin Whiting take a 5/0 a while ago. I use a 5/0 3/0 Pennell with a huge bait to try entice the ever elusive Codling. I'll be out over the weekend in Arklow so I'll let you know how I get on.

Spent three hours in Arklow today, plenty of Whiting but no Codling.
    I was using a 5/0 3/0 Pennell with Lug and Mackerel on one rod. I managed to fowl hook a tiny Whiting with the 5/0 while retrieving :D
    On the other rod I was using a three hook flapper with lug tipped with Mackerel. I had a take on the Pennell but lost it on the way in, it felt like a Doggie TBH but it was nice to see a take on the big bait, got the heart racing for a few minutes. :D

• Advertisement
Advertisement