Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom Home Advanced (7mb) not up to par

Options
  • 25-11-2008 7:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,366 ✭✭✭

362063424.png

362083123.png

this is typical for my (up to) 7mb line - Dublin server i rarely exceed 4.5mb... it can trickle over it. but rare

..could others post theirs for comparison sake - and open to recommendations or is this typical? and will it improve or should i go back to NTL. i changed and would like to stay Eircom for the wireless NAT1 on PS3 but this is recockulous

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Looks like it could just be contention, you share your internet connection with others, (contention ratio is 24:1 on this package) therefore you would get slower speeds at peak times (5.46 and 6.51 being peak times). Also you'll never get the full speed, I'm on the same package with Eircom and am only 200m from the exchange and the most I get is 6.5Mbit, think of it as the overheads of the copper (was probably near 7.6Mbit in the exchange)

Log in2 your router on 192.168.1.254 and under Connection Information tell us what speed your synced at? Also do a speedtest at an off-peak time, either after 12 or first thing in the morning.

This is what I'm getting at the moment
    362093847.png

362094957.png

That's around my typical speed, but, I live in a relatively rural area, and pretty close to the Eircom exchange.

P.S. It say's I'm with Imagine, which I am. But, afterall they just re-sell the Eircom line. So, I assume if I were with Eircom I'd still achieve the same speed.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,366 ✭✭✭Star Bingo

- thanks for the assistance Pogmothoin. JD too - homepage speed says 7168/384 (kbps); D/L speed will NOT exceed 4600kbps on or off-peak.
    most envious of yer 6.5mb... whats your ping btw? desperate to get something similar or leave this crummy service.

don't wanna lose my NAT1 though :(

Scuse PMH. thats a better ping - but not great - would love to see that 6.5mb... or just better than mine. post back when it exceeds 4.6 if you can

Advertisement