Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[Article]3 preferred over eircom for broadband plan

• 25-11-2008 7:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭

from www.rte.ie/news

Communications Minister Eamon Ryan has announced that mobile company 3 has been selected as the preferred tenderer for the National Broadband Scheme.

The scheme is aimed at delivering broadband to those areas of the country currently unserved. 3 was up against Eircom for the contract.

The Department of Communications says that work will be finalised on the contract in the coming weeks, with a final announcement expected next month.
    Advertisement

'It is imperative that we have universal broadband coverage in Ireland, for foreign investment, for competitiveness and for our own businesses and householders,' said Minister Ryan.

The department estimates that about 10% of the country remains without a broadband service. It says the scheme, which involves a Government subsidy, will ensure that all reasonable requests for broadband in these areas are met.

3, owned by conglomerate Hutchison Whampoa, launched on the Irish market in 2005. It operates one of Ireland's 3G mobile phone licences under the 3 brand and has 300,000 customers, including 105,000 mobile broadband users.

Eircom said it was 'extremely disappointed' not to be awarded the contract, but remained committed to delivering broadband to as many parts of the country as possible. It said it would continue to support the Government in whatever way it could to deliver broadband

Good, bad or indifferent?

Mike

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭barnicles

Absolutly total bullsh*t

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 338 ✭✭faoile@n

Absolutely ridiculous :eek:

Eamon Ryan should be banned from this forum.

Edit: It might not be such a bad thing that Eircom didn't get it but 3 ffs.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,087 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Complete and utter joke. I can't believe the goverment are going to be subsidising 3 for this shoddy "broadband" service.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 mike76

http://m.cnet.com.au/broadband/339287846.htm

In Oz a crowd of micky mouse operators got it, couldn't do it and the new govt took it away;

When it happens here all of the top Com reg and dept guys have to go

For the love of god just look at the megathread you moron ryan - they can't provide a decent service in balbriggan, never mind bohola!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Three is NOT broadband. IDSN is just as fast. Thank God I have choice of DSL and FWA. Pity the poor hoors that will only get this glorified ISDN service. I feel sorry for you as I am only 3 years old in the broadband way of life. Rural Ireland has truely died a death today.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

I'm actually shocked at this, given that Eamon is actually registered on boards.ie and has actually posted on the broadband forum I find it shocking that he allowed this to be awarded to Three over eircom or anyone else given the sheer bad service three have been showen to offer to many of its users.

In addition to this Three Mobile Broadband is NOT proper Broadband and is totally unsuitable for such uses as on-line gaming and VoIP which is what makes Broadband so much fun and makes it useable in both a home and business enviroment (VoIP, video chats, conferencing etc)

Given that Eamon has so nicely posted on this forum in the past looking for views on Next Gen Broadband I'd suggest some people might want to drop him a kinda e-mail about there views on the outcome of this, his details are here - http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=57361539&postcount=1

I would remind everyone to remain civil however when dealing with Eamon or anyone else on this board, while I can understand that the inability to get Broadband can be VERY frustrating it helps nobody if you get irate with people, remain civil and use a logical argument :)

Given Eircom's history I would be curious if they'll somehow appeal this, as much as I personally dislike Eircom as a company (history of problems getting DSL/PSTN lines installed on 4 different occasions over the years) I would rather the people of Ireland get Broadband via dsl then "mobile broadband" for the reasons outlined above and as discussed in so many other threads here on the Broadband froum,.

Finally I remind everyone that general boards rules apply here, Eamon is a user on boards and atleast he took the time to post here I don;'t want to see people slinging personal abuse at him, you can still obviously dislike whats happened

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 mike76

enough lets be nice just cause he posts here....this is a TERRIBLE and APPALLING Decision,

if it was mobile bb by O2 or Vodafone i might understand but 3 Ireland?!?!?!

It's like awarding the contract for Metro North to O'Casey "No job too big or small" Construction Drumcondra.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Eamon Ryan............I'm awaiting your resignation

The people of Ireland need REAL broadband

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

No HSDPA service can ever be Broadband.

Now we know the 8% max Sat users is CAP to limit costs. They'll be the ones with a better service, fixed 800ms latency and always connected, vs maybe connect and 120ms to 2000ms variable latency and possibly worse speed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭Nick_oliveri

"With this small piece of hardware you can get connected to a crap network, and if that crap network doesn't have a good signal it will automatically switch over to the many inferior sub networks that can be sometimes compared to 56k and yes my friends, we shall call it broadband!"

GWAN IRELAND!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

Words cannot express my disappointment at this decision. It actually blows my mind that the government could award this to 3.

I will never be voting for the greens or FF after this much delayed NBS project that has proven to be seen as a joke by these political parties.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Jesus wept upon hearing the news.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,945 ✭✭✭long_b

I'm disgusted and very sickened by this decision.
    I can't understand such a dreadful choice.
    I would rather do without than to think that 3 will be being paid my hard earned tax money to deliver a woegeous service.

it's been all over the media -even the dog on the street can tell you how bad 3's service is.

Absolutely inept.

brim4brim wrote: »
    Words cannot express my disappointment at this decision. It actually blows my mind that the government could award this to 3.

I will never be voting for the greens or FF after this much delayed NBS project that has proven to be seen as a joke by these political parties.

Right, when are we going on Joe Duffy.:)
    No, seriously this is one of the funniest jokes i've ever heard.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

O M F G!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Minister Ryan, GTFO!

faoile@n wrote: »
    Eamon Ryan should be banned from this forum.

He should be banned from this country and planet. He'd be shot If i had my way. I'm currently typing this on a mobile as I've no proper bb connection and dialup is just too slow.
    Rant continuing in background.

Get your angry mob supplies and take them over here!
    http://boards.ie/vbulletin/member.php?u=182424

barnicles wrote: »
    Get your angry mob supplies and take them over here!
    http://boards.ie/vbulletin/member.php?u=182424

Dne

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

This country never ceases to amaze me. If Ryan ever used a phone on 3 he'd realise they can't get their own network in order, let alone provide a broadband service to people around the country.

I'm no advocate of Eircom's, but they'd do a better job then the "dead horse" of the Irish mobiles market.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

Maybe its time to help complete this so the NBS isn't left ot he idi0ts in 3

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055427255

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,945 ✭✭✭long_b

Dear Minister Ryan,

I was extremely saddened to hear that you have awarded the contract for the NBS to Hutchison 3G.

As one of the many people who live outside the major towns I was forced to use their service when it was launched.

In my experience I have found that their service deteriorated to below dial up speeds in my area due to overloading of their network.

Despite criticism in the media and thousands of posts on forums 3 continue to make false claims as to the quality of their coverage and service and continue to show contempt for their Irish users.

I find it very hard to believe that you would choose to invest taxpayer's money with a company with 3's track record in Ireland, given that you yourself have posted on the boards.ie forum where the extent of the problem with their service came to light.

I urge you to reconsider your decision - if there is no viable alternative please consider funding the Irish owned and operated FWA operators.

At least we can let him know that we know that he's made a big mistake.

I posted my discust on Eamon Ryans profile, its been removed and I have recieved an infraction :mad:

PogMoThoin wrote: »
    I posted my discust on Eamon Ryans profile, its been removed and I have recieved an infraction :mad:

Same here:mad:
    Drop your pitchforks and run!:)

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Maybe this is a big joke? Maybe FF and the Greens will turn around over the next few days and say "Ha, lads did you HONESTLY think we would get these guys to do it?! We may have made poor decissions with the budget but we aint going to make the mistakes with the National Broadband Scheme! God lads, cant believe ye felt for it!".

If not... I am shocked and appaled at this most god awful decission. Was it all politics Eamonn came here looking for our opinion? Whatever respect I had for this shower has now gone down a lot further since hearing that 3 - a provider who is struggling offering decent service as it is according to reports online - has been given the go ahead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭Skatedude

I cannot possibly imagine what prompted his decision to offer the contract to 3, They are probably the worst posssible company to do this, the service they provide simply isnt broadband, no matter how much they like to think so.

However i do believe i know how they got the contract, he was giving a list of of possibles and picked 3 because the list was alphabetical, we could have had o2 excpet they used o instead of zero when typing it.

Mind you, i bet 3 said they could do it a lot cheaper then eircom,even if it dosent work

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

This is some sort of sick joke, right? I mean, as utterly inept as Ryan has proved himself to be, time and again, I refuse to believe that a man who can make it to the position that he has, can't even read. I knew he was obsessed with 3G mobile "broadband" as he has constantly referred to it as the way forward, and future of broadband in Ireland, but it has been pointed out to him numerous times that it just simply isn't a feasible solution.

I'm off to email him now, not that he actually reads them. He probably gets his internet access from 3, so hasn't received an email in the last two years. minister@dcmnr.gov.ie is one address you can use.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,051 ✭✭✭bealtine

Skatedude wrote: »

Mind you, i bet 3 said they could do it a lot cheaper then eircom,even if it dosent work

And there you have it..."doesn't work". I wonder will they enforce minimum requirements and what penalties will follow for non performance?

The DCENR says :
    "The final product that consumers will receive from the NBS will be an always on service of at least 1Mbit/s down and 128kbits/s up. The minimum download capacity per connection will be 10 gigabits per month and the service must support Virtual Private Networks (VPN) for businesses and VoIP applications and devices for home business purposes. Latency must be sufficient in order to allow standard applications such as VoIP and online gaming to be run"

Will this be guaranteed for every single consumer that tries to connect?

I wonder if 3 can possibly deliver anything remotely like this based on the current capabilities of HSDPA, only time will tell.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

But if you accept it as broadband it makes our penetration figures look good and any real broadband is much more expensive. There isn't any NBS money for a real rollout.

HSDPA inherently can't deliver. It's not "3"s fault.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭Skatedude

bealtine wrote: »
    The DCENR says :
    "The final product that consumers will receive from the NBS will be an always on service of at least 1Mbit/s down and 128kbits/s up. The minimum download capacity per connection will be 10 gigabits per month and the service must support Virtual Private Networks (VPN) for businesses and VoIP applications and devices for home business purposes. Latency must be sufficient in order to allow standard applications such as VoIP and online gaming to be run"

Will this be guaranteed for every single consumer that tries to connect?

I wonder if 3 can possibly deliver anything remotely like this based on the current capabilities of HSDPA, only time will tell.

10 gigabit cap? so 1.25 gigabytes? actually, if 3 are involved, then i doubt you will be able to reach that cap

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭97i9y3941

its the usual ****e lads unfortantly,pass the buck to someone else,probably same reason we dont have speed cameras in this country

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement