Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[Article]3 preferred over eircom for broadband plan

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

Your A real live champion of the Consumer, your second name isn't hobbs by any chance?
    Your comment don't make my job or a lot of other people in the industrys Jobs any easier. I've had customers coming in having rants at me over unfounded comments from posters like you on boards.ie.
    Your not a customer, you hate 3, you know very little about how Eircom has been funded to roll out broadband.
    tbh, you said you work for a website, i'd be very surprised if it's not Eircom.net..

I don't want to make your life of selling an over subscribed product easier.

You get people coming in complaining because the service isn't up to scratch, it has fook all to do with me buddy and my posts aren't unfounded.

Again I have used the service because you know I visit my parents and use their connection. My little brother lives at home and is still on the service and I'm regularly in contact with him and ask him about the service which he says hasn't improved.

Exactly which part of my comments are unfounded? Oh yeah that's right, you have a good service so everyone on 3 has a good service and everybody who thinks otherwise should shut up to make your job easier :rolleyes:
    watty wrote: »
    eircom's Meteor has started rolling out HSDPA, I got the impression that due to Spectrum problems (look at how small some white areas are on map), eircom was discussing using Meteor HSDPA rather than FWA. For sure almost none of it would have been DSL.

Unless you are prepared to scrap current NBS and start again (awkward politically), they were actually between a rock and hard place due to the lack of any of the established major Wireless operators or providers having any interest, that in turn due to the fine print of tender TOC. The winner is blocked (I think) from alternate commercial exploitation in those areas and has everything audited.

It don't think it would be that awkward politically to state that no candidate was willing to meet the high standards the government required. If that was the case, it would actually make the government look good because they aren't going ahead with it for the sake of doing it because they said it would.

They could then consider the other options for rolling this out such as a state body and if commercial operators complain they can say the tried to get them to roll it out but they refused to provide the quality of service the public needed.

I'm just against throwing money at it in a half-arsed way. The NBS is a waste of taxpayers money in its current form in my opinion since it won't really achieve anything. So many areas that don't have access to BB aren't included and even if you are included you end up with an improper solution.

I think it would be better to either spend the money or cancel the whole thing and have a rethink. If it is worth doing something, it is worth doing it well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭godskitchen

Children, pack it in, your messages are getting lost in your rants, I had a hard time reading what has been posted this morning, and to be honest it most of it has nothing to do with what the issue is at hand.

Put aside your personal specific problems with Three, as valid as they are its just one story.

We do not need that one story to make a good case for Three being let no where are NBS............the technology they use (if indeed it is to be used for NBS) is not up to standard to meet the spec of the original call of the project.....

That is the point we need to hammer home......it is enough on its own to make a difference I believe once poeple know......

The rest is just noise, I hope that this message does not get lost because of it.

• Company Representative Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭Magnet: Rory

Children, pack it in, your messages are getting lost in your rants, I had a hard time reading what has been posted this morning, and to be honest it most of it has nothing to do with what the issue is at hand.

Put aside your personal specific problems with Three, as valid as they are its just one story.

We do not need that one story to make a good case for Three being let no where are NBS............the technology they use (if indeed it is to be used for NBS) is not up to standard to meet the spec of the original call of the project.....

That is the point we need to hammer home......it is enough on its own to make a difference I believe once poeple know......

The rest is just noise, I hope that this message does not get lost because of it.

good point.......whoever has press contacts has to get this out.....how in gods name is the next generation of students/businesses/society in general going to download big files for work/college/fun if they are working with what is essentially a pair of bunny ears that need to be waved around and jerked to get any reception.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,442 ✭✭✭Firetrap

Yes. It's clearly an effort to roll out broadband on the cheap. I use mobile internet - I refuse to call it broadband because it isn't any such a thing - and I also use DSL. There is no comparison whatsoever.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,283 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

brim4brim wrote: »
    Oh yeah that's right, you have a good service so everyone on 3 has a good service and everybody who thinks otherwise should shut up to make your job easier :rolleyes:

That's easy to say when your sitting up on the fence, it's a little different down here on the front line.
    I supply more than 3 broadband, I recommend what ever is the best for the user, if I know 3 is crap in an area I will no sell it to them, i'll recommend 02, Eircom, Digiweb or Voda etc. It's all the one to me which someone buys but I'd rather make a good recommendation than have an upset customer come back into me....look i've hooked up a couple of thousand people, Maybe 5% aren't happy but have little choice other than to put up with it, that's not as bad as you imagine...considering there all rural customers...

Just noticed your sig......see you in the Annex boy O:)

• Advertisement

blam i'm not makin up these speedtest...

363614547.png

That's easy to say when your sitting up on the fence, it's a little different down here on the front line.
    I supply more than 3 broadband, I recommend what ever is the best for the user, if I know 3 is crap in an area I will no sell it to them, i'll recommend 02, Eircom, Digiweb or Voda etc. It's all the one to me which someone buys but I'd rather make a good recommendation than have an upset customer come back into me....look i've hooked up a couple of thousand people, Maybe 5% aren't happy but have little choice other than to put up with it, that's not as bad as you imagine...considering there all rural customers...

Just noticed your sig......see you in the Annex boy O:)

lads....getting off message again....what are we going to do about this thing......anyone any other suggestions other than the ones already said?

363614547.png

case in point....look at that upload.....how in hell would you even upload a photo to bebo......never mind maintain any kind of buisness app.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭barnicles

The problem here (to all who disagree) is giving the "National Broadband Scheme", which is to provide fixed broadband to homes and business, to a company who operates a mobile broadband service.

There is a company called Munster Joinery about 8 miles from me and I'm pretty sure what would happen if they had to rely on 3 mobile broadband.

The point me, watty, spongebob, PogMoThoin etc. are trying to prove is 3 broadband is mobile broadband, not fixed broadband. If I used the local 3 mast for torrents etc. I'm sure the rest of the village/area would be happy.

Also mobile broadband was not meant for people that use VoIP only, heavy gamers, heavy torrenters as the Irish mobile networks weren't made for this.

I use O2 mobile internet and at peak times all I do is torrent. I try to make other users so angry that they'll cancel the service and then one less user screwing up the network for the rest of us. At the moment it works quite well. I have used a permaNET service at 512kBps and there is no comparison.

3 is not broadband as it has been said many times before. It is a cheap way to use the net on the move. Awarding this contract to 3 is like awarding the contract to build the M50 to a company who plan to build the road out of ashes.

Also is 3 going to have to buy more IPs?

Rorser wrote: »
    lads....getting off message again....what are we going to do about this thing......anyone any other suggestions other than the ones already said?

What do you propose? We could lobby the Government, Get onto Joe Duffy etc but will this really help the people with no access to internet. It won't, this 3 / BT solution is a lifeline to rural communities that it is otherwise uneconmical to provide access for. I'm taking about communities with maybe 200 residents. 3 have not won a licence to boost there network where it really needs it, they have won a contract to provide acces to currently disagvantaged communities. We need to get behind this and get these people on line as quickly and as cheaply as possible..

• Advertisement

363614547.png
    Try a Skype call on that.

The upload 100 8 megapixel photos.

363614547.png
    Try a Skype call on that.

The upload 100 8 megapixel photos.

case in point....look at that upload.....how in hell would you even upload a photo to bebo......never mind maintain any kind of buisness app.

you could upload to bebo with this...;)

363618543.png

What do you propose? We could lobby the Government, Get onto Joe Duffy etc but will this really help the people with no access to internet. It won't, this 3 / BT solution is a lifeline to rural communities that it is otherwise uneconmical to provide access for. I'm taking about communities with maybe 200 residents. 3 have not won a licence to boost there network where it really needs it, they have won a contract to provide acces to currently disagvantaged communities. We need to get behind this and get these people on line as quickly and as cheaply as possible..
    They have won a contract to make the server space required on boards.ie for the Three Megathread bigger.

363618543.png
    OK get 30 other people in the same area to upload those photo's

Then come back to us. :)

363618543.png

oh dear......ur going off point again......stop.....the fact that the speed is fluctuating that much should sound alarm bells.

look has anyone any ideas about how to get this out....anyone know what irelandoffline plan to do here.

Ok Drunkmonkey. So you think 3 is fine. OK - you're entitled to your opinion. Please stop hammering that point home. You're taking this thread off-message.

The problem is that the minister is taking the cheap way out by going for the mobile internet option. It was designed for people on the move - not as a replacement for DSL etc.

The big problem in this country is that when the powers that be try to do things on the cheap or half-do them, it comes back to bite them. Think of the M50 for example. This is yet another example. How come other countries have better broadband than we do? It's not as if we're the size of China :mad:

How do you propose we get DSL to isolated communities, Can it provided by the ESB through their existing network?

How do you propose we get DSL to isolated communities, Can it provided by the ESB through their existing network?

good point..id kill to see what Eircom were planning....probably some upgrades on their exiting lines. The ESB network is very limited and i dont know if it would creep into deeply rural areas, anyone anymore info on this...or on irelandofflines plans?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Can't be done with DSL, it can't manage the distance. You do need Wireless. Just a better Wireless scheme than HSDPA. Though if there is NO copper, 100Mbps home fibre is a similar price to lay and will do 20km.

AFAIK, eircom was going to do a mix of HSDPA, FWALA, tiny bit of DSL and some Satellite. maybe marginally better.

If all these people had sewage or water mains, then fibre is relatively cheap, use the water or sewer pipe as a conduit. Except that's the OTHER Irish infrastructure problem, we are 20 years behind on getting rid of Septic Tanks and individual wells. However if there was the will, maybe a 3rd of those with no DSL or Wireless could get fibre via sewer. Since the NBS doesn't cover those that are in Wireless, Cable or DSL areas but fail connection, that 1/3rd could be more people than HSDPA would cover.

Forget Broadband over Powerlines (ESB). ESB fibre to feed the Wireless or Home Sewer Fibre is good though.

• Advertisement

watty wrote: »
    Can't be done with DSL, it can't manage the distance. You do need Wireless. Just a better Wireless scheme than HSDPA. Though if there is NO copper, 100Mbps home fibre is a similar price to lay and will do 20km.

AFAIK, eircom was going to do a mix of HSDPA, FWALA, tiny bit of DSL and some Satellite. maybe marginally better.

If all these people had sewage or water mains, then fibre is relatively cheap, use the water or sewer pipe as a conduit. Except that's the OTHER Irish infrastructure problem, we are 20 years behind on getting rid of Septic Tanks and individual wells. However if there was the will, maybe a 3rd of those with no DSL or Wireless could get fibre via sewer. Since the NBS doesn't cover those that are in Wireless, Cable or DSL areas but fail connection, that 1/3rd could be more people than HSDPA would cover.

Forget Broadband over Powerlines (ESB). ESB fibre to feed the Wireless or Home Sewer Fibre is good though.

hmmmm...dont know...are there really enough sewer systems? we're talking really small villages here?

hmmmm...dont know...are there really enough sewer systems? we're talking really small villages here?

everywhere around where I live is septic tanks, there are no sewers....but there is loads of tunnels dug from the black and tan era...we could probably run the fiber through them if anyone is brave enough to walk down them...

Could we run the fiber down the water pipes, didn't the esb used to use eels to run cables through the pipes if i'm not mistaken....

Just for the record hers's my BT 3MB at home...

Granted the ping is lower than 3 but it's still ****e all the same....Eircom told me it would improve if I moved back to them...I fail to see how as it's their phone line in the first place...

363671761.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

shocking news.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

Just for the record hers's my BT 3MB at home...

Granted the ping is lower than 3 but it's still ****e all the same....Eircom told me it would improve if I moved back to them...I fail to see how as it's their phone line in the first place...

363671761.png

Looks like something is wrong with your line.

I have an 8Mbps connection with 1Mbps upload and it works very well all the time over fixed wireles from Digiweb even if the cap is a bit low for my liking. We need at least something as good as my connection or its a big waste of time as even if it was set at my connection, we'd still be behind the rest of Europe.

I have an 8Mbps connection with 1Mbps upload and it works very well all the time over fixed wireles from Digiweb even if the cap is a bit low for my liking. We need at least something as good as my connection or its a big waste of time as even if it was set at my connection, we'd still be behind the rest of Europe.

8 meg fixed wireless...thats pretty good, how the devil are they doing that? Ping speed any good?

Ya there is, eircom own it, they've narrowed the problem down to an eletric fence, microwave, or train...:(

363775150.png

eircom can fluctuate as much as three....eircom win on the pings, Digiweb sounds awsome but could they really be bothered sticking a mast on the Devils Mother :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭smellslikeshoes

Ya there is, eircom own it, they've narrowed the problem down to an eletric fence, microwave, or train...:(

363775150.png

eircom can fluctuate as much as three....eircom win on the pings, Digiweb sounds awsome but could they really be bothered sticking a mast on the Devils Mother :rolleyes:

Unless there is a specific problem with the line Eircom doesn't fluctuate near as much as 3, the speed fluctuation in inherent in HSPDA.

Eircom doesn't fluctuate near as much as 3, the speed fluctuation in inherent in HSPDA.

agree, in fairness it's pretty reliable, what's the evolution of HSDPA?

• Advertisement

Try also going online with HSDPA when it's bucketing rain outside. You'd be praying for dial-up speeds at that stage.

I use mobile internet. It's OK during the daytime when there aren't many people online but come the evening...now that's a different story. An internet service stands or falls on the speeds a user gets at peak times. I was with 3 for a year and it was fcking awful. I'm now with O2 and it's a bit better at peak times but not much. HSDPA goes horribly downhill once contention shoots up.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement