Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[Article]3 preferred over eircom for broadband plan

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭barnicles

Has the contract been signed yet?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭barnicles

It now says on aertel page 106 'ryan to sign rural broadband plan'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,806 ✭✭✭Xcellor

Yay...

http://www.rte.ie/business/2009/0122/broadband.html

Lucky 10%... heh. Deprived for so long...

Poor sods. Wait forever to get broadband and then they get 3.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Eamon Ryan is going to be on The Last Word this evening explaining his great plan to bring braodband to the masses...............I'm gearing myself up for a shouting match with my radio.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

http://www.rte.ie/news/2009/0122/broadband.html

Ireland's deepest technological disgrace: Eamon Ryan

Pointless & useless, can you think of more superlatives?

MC

Ryan shut up before you show yourself to be an even better bigger ejjit.

God he is trying to sell it big time and is sounding desperate, pity Matt isn't going to attack Today FMs comms provider openly, sad day for journalism

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

pity Matt isn't going to attack Today FMs comms provider openly, sad day for journalism

Oh, I forgot that.

That was some sham of an interview. No one with a counterpoint to argue against Ryan, not even someone from eircom, who were bidding on the contract.

So that's it, 220 million euro down the pan. But it's all fine, because there'll be no contention issues, the speeds will be 1Mbps, even at the edge of the cells, it could be up to 5Mbps even!!!!!one!1 Wow, and how lucky are we? Then, after some texter mentioned Australia, it turns out that Ryan just happened to be talking to an Australian minister recently, and the Ausies are looking to copy what we're doing here. Also, the OECD have it all wring, we're one of the fastes Internet connected countries in Europe. How silly of them to use facts, and real numbers, to make it appear that we're at the bottom.

The speeds assume ONE user and perfect signals.

The WiFi, WiMax, Fixed Wireless and LTE that Ryan waffled about are nothing to do with NBS or 3.

HSPDA/HSUPA/HSPA+ are tweeks. LTE is a completely different system, different modems, different spectrum, different licences. What Mobile users experience today is what the NBS will do.

Minimum speeds of 150k down, 45k up. latency 120ms to 2000ms. Dropped connections, no connection. Lucky people where takeup is poor or use is intermittent will see the 5Mbps but 120ms, so still rubbish for VOIP, VPN, Remote Desktops, Gaming.

He claims it works and is good because nearly 200,000 are using it and thus we are the most advanced in Europe. The reason so many are using it is because unlike elsewhere the demand is high and availability of Broadband is poor.

I'm a communication Engineer and have used Mobile HSDPA. He was describing some other system not the one 3 are rolling out.

• Advertisement

* Shakes Fist *

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,442 ✭✭✭Firetrap

Of course he wasn't going to attack 3. They sponsor shows on Today FM :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

jor el wrote: »
    it turns out that Ryan just happened to be talking to an Australian minister recently, and the Ausies are looking to copy what we're doing here.

dear god!! is stupidity contagious?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,658 ✭✭✭old boy

for one i did not expect anything better from this excuse for a goverment, no i am not dissapointed, but i am glad i have an indy to provide me with wireless broad band, i know its only 1 meg up / 1 meg down but its on 24/7, i do not expect to be changing providers, b.t.w. when i look out my front door i can see an eircom mast chugging out wireless b.b. to a select few for testing purposes only, why can they not just spew it out so any one interested can sign up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

watty wrote: »
    Minimum speeds of 150k down, 45k up. latency 120ms to 2000ms. Dropped connections, no connection. Lucky people where takeup is poor or use is intermittent will see the 5Mbps but 120ms, so still rubbish for VOIP, VPN, Remote Desktops, Gaming.

He claims it works and is good because nearly 200,000 are using it and thus we are the most advanced in Europe. The reason so many are using it is because unlike elsewhere the demand is high and availability of Broadband is poor.

I'm a communication Engineer and have used Mobile HSDPA. He was describing some other system not the one 3 are rolling out.

I wish they'd get someone on to say these things to him, and someone who won't back down at that. I've never heard them have anyone opposing Ryan on the numerous times he's been on The Last Word. Any time Matt brings up these things, Ryan just blows them off, and makes claims that Matt can't rebuff, because he just doesn't know the technical details.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Once again Eamonn did his usual spool for this Broadband rollout on the lastword this evening, think we need to get the media to start refering to it as Midband same as it is here.

Also we need the media to better highlight the fact that while the minister is advertising as it can be used for entertainment that three (and for that matter any midband provider) is next to useless for on-line gaming which alot of kids will try to use it for and get frustrated over!

I thought it was also very useful for the minister that nobody was on to counter anything he was saying, txts are fine and well but they don't replace somebody from Eircom, Smart or Ireland Off-Line, of course as already noted by another user NOBODY on Today FM will even try attack Three since they sponsor the text lines!
    Sam Vimes wrote: »
    dear god!! is stupidity contagious?

seems so, I find it amusing to see the english Broadband websites have picked this up....its worth remembering that BT have 99% ADSL coverage in the UK so lets hope they don't decide to flush money down the drain with Three or some other Midband provider to make up that 1% less who can't get cable or adsl :).

I find one of the thinkbroadband user comments amusing in relation to Three's network in the UK :D
    "will provide a minimum download speed of 1.2 meg" that can't be right! How can the guarantee that throughput won't fall below that. I Struggle to get 0.1Mbps on three's HSDPA network in the UK.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭cowboy1981

watty wrote: »

At the Press Conference today, they released this video clip showing how the NBS winnder plans to deliver rural broadband.

As you can see, they are proposing a high-fibre delivery platform to achieve the accelerated delivery schedule.

...very environmentally friendly too...No wonder Ryan liked it...;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭yoshytoshy

will this mean that it will be a monopoly in the upgraded areas ?

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭beatman91

This announcement in the radio yesterday really pi$$ed me off.

I approched the Government a year ago offering them a solution for this. It would not cost anything and you would have a choice of 4 providers.

I got told that if we even try to test out our unit they will take us to court. The Communications regulator said that its a great idea but NO. No conversation just a NO!

So as usual, someone is going to make a lot of money and this is not transparent at all.

I hate doing business here.

BTW I could have done it in 3 months and I just needed permission.

Do tell what magic technology?
    The only better rural solution than HSDPA is Fixed Wireless. It is a lot more expensive per user to install. Base stations though maybe cheaper!

The next level is a Hybrid fibre to cabinet / copper or fibre to home. That is even more expensive, but probably worth it at 2Billion.

Satellite is worse in terms of latency (no gaming, rotten VOIP, poor Remote Desktop) and the most expensive ongoing solution for bandwidth. Install cost is higher than any other solution. Due to lack of suitable satellites the dish size gets 90cm to 1.2m in some western areas when raining to maintain speed.

3G/HSDPA has been chosen as it is costing the Government peanuts (39M) and 3 has to roll out more masts anyway. However it does not remotely meet the original spec which was entry level BB. Also the formulation of NBS conditions made it totally unattractive for anyone other than 3G/HSPDA to tender. Hence only 4 entrants and the 2 non-HSDPA ones pulled out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,630 ✭✭✭Oracle

All I can think is "here we go again". Another year, another government, another nationwide broadband initiative announcement. Accompanied of course, by the usual fanfare and photo opportunity. I'm not sure about the technical details, but from most reports I've heard about mobile broadband, the performance is patchy at best. That's from users who live in the city. Probably the best way to serve remote areas with fast broadband is a community wireless network. Developing and funding a network of community WISPs around the country would be cheaper, as well as faster and more efficient.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,259 ✭✭✭Shiny

beatman91 wrote: »
    This announcement in the radio yesterday really pi$$ed me off.

I approched the Government a year ago offering them a solution for this. It would not cost anything and you would have a choice of 4 providers.

I got told that if we even try to test out our unit they will take us to court. The Communications regulator said that its a great idea but NO. No conversation just a NO!

So as usual, someone is going to make a lot of money and this is not transparent at all.

I hate doing business here.

BTW I could have done it in 3 months and I just needed permission.

Aertel 2.0 ?

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭beatman91

It was gonna be done over GSM but I'm not gonna advertise something thats illegal.

I just got back from Scotland yesterday and they have fiberoptic everywhere, and cable broadband is now going to be 50 Mbs connection. We are a third world country when it comes to infrastructure.

The law is the law, it does not have to be just!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭christophicus

It was gonna be done over GSM but I'm not gonna advertise something thats illegal.

I just got back from Scotland yesterday and they have fiberoptic everywhere, and cable broadband is now going to be 50 Mbs connection. We are a third world country when it comes to infrastructure.

The law is the law, it does not have to be just!

GSM ? Seriously ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,281 ✭✭✭Ricky91t

I'd love to see Mr.Ryan on three broadband for a few weeks,Then i'm sure his opinion would change!As 3 broadband compared to his cable(?) broadband would probably be a huge difference!

This is terrible news and i'm really pleased i'm one of the luckier people in wireless broadband reception here in Kerry,Was pm'd by a user here about my local exchange being activated by end of 2009 but will this effect it?

I'm happy with my connection but i feel sorry for other who might have to "resort" to three

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭christophicus

This really is a disgrace. I am lucky, in that I have UPC. I actually don't think I would be able to cope with 3 at all.

Agree that there needs to be a concerted push to start calling 3 ( and O2 and Vodaphone for that matter ) midband rather then Broadband, as imo calling it BB is false advertisement.

It's not possible. Even by illegal means.

I've studied GSM extensively. If you use EDGE2, turn off GPRS, turn off phone calls and get suitable release7 Modems (there are none yet) you can have an "up to" speed for 1 to 5 simultaneous users of about 2Mbps. With 20 users the speed is about 400kbps close to mast and about 100kbps near cell edge. latency is about 100ms. This is 3GPP Rel 7 ERAN version of EDGE 2

This is hypothetical. Existing GSM can't do more than 245k on EDGE and has not got that capacity. Nor do the modems exist for the better EDGE2 system described.

Even doing all that, it's only a little better than 3G/HSDPA and definitely not broadband, even though a pure IP only solution.

Kenya is doing BB rollout better than parts of Ireland. Extensive fibre to the home.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

will this announcement of three's rural midband offering affect people waiting for eircom to upgrade their exchanges so they can get broadband? surely now eircom will knock the more costly exchanges off their broadband plans and tell people their only option is three's mobile internets?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭yoshytoshy

the more you guys talk about this ,the more it sounds like some sort eamon ryan service pack 1.
    is he really kiddin himself ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,568 ✭✭✭Slutmonkey57b

yoshytoshy wrote: »
    the more you guys talk about this ,the more it sounds like some sort eamon ryan service pack 1.
    is he really kiddin himself ?

While it would be nice to believe he's kidding himself, going by previous Communications Ministers, he's probably not only deadly serious but patting himself on the back for a job well done and giving someone a raise.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement