Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[Article]3 preferred over eircom for broadband plan

12345679»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭barnicles

At least I'm supposed to be getting DSL in Q2 2009

http://www.broadbandatoz.ie

;)

• Registered Users Posts: 16 -mark-

We, the customer all know the song...3 is a magic number
    only to well.
    Well your lucky you don't have to ring customer service cos you can't get download above 30kb/sec. Your all thick as thieves you lot....enjoy your 30 pieces of silver!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 605 ✭✭✭PaddyTheNth

Sorry if this has already been addressed, but has anyone suggested contacting the minister directly about this? (well, as directly as possible)

Eg through his website - http://www.eamonryan.ie/v2/contact/ - or directly through the party channel? or minister.ryan@dcenr.gov.ie

Could it simply be that he doesn't understand the technical facts about the implementation of this, and has swallowed 3's proposal wholesale eg this is what you'll get if you're the only person in a 40-square mile area?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

Sorry if this has already been addressed, but has anyone suggested contacting the minister directly about this? (well, as directly as possible)

Eg through his website - http://www.eamonryan.ie/v2/contact/ - or directly through the party channel?

Could it simply be that he doesn't understand the technical facts about the implementation of this, and has swallowed 3's proposal wholesale eg this is what you'll get if you're the only person in a 40-square mile area?

The minister posted on this website and has an account here where he asked for people from this site to go to the discussion on this issue.

He knows all about the problem. He's just happier being a liar than fixing the problem properly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭smellslikeshoes

Eg through his website - http://www.eamonryan.ie/v2/contact/ - or directly through the party channel? or minister.ryan@dcenr.gov.ie

Even if the Minister would listen to anyone its too late now as its been official for some time that 3 are doing it.

• Advertisement

Even if the Minister would listen to anyone its too late now as its been official for some time that 3 are doing it.
    As was posted on the first page of this thread the Ozzies managed to cancel a similar contract because they couldn't deliver on the terms. - http://m.cnet.com.au/broadband/339287846.htm

I know it's outlandish to expect Irish ministers to actually admit that they made a mistake though:(

I thought Irish Rural Link's Analysis was a good contribution to the thread...

• Company Representative Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭Magnet: Rory

I thought Irish Rural Link's Analysis was a good contribution to the thread...

As do I, I especially liked the parts where they exposed the department’s flawed theory....."Businesses can operate efficiently at this speed [1.2Mbs]"

The report showed that the decision was based on foolish logic.

I think someone deleted the comment....anyway....heres the link

http://www.irishrurallink.ie/publications/IRL%20analysis%20of%20NBS.pdf

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

The 1.2Mbps is fantasy.

watty wrote: »
    The 1.2Mbps is fantasy.

So is the idea that an actual business can get by on 1.2Mb...even the wasted time waiting for docs etc to load blows this theory out of the water.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

They should have gone all out and said the speeds would be improved above normal mobile broadband speeds by magical fairies only they can see.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Rorser wrote: »
    So is the idea that an actual business can get by on 1.2Mb...even the wasted time waiting for docs etc to load blows this theory out of the water.

If 1.2Mbps was OK for business isn't relevant to the NBS as awarded as the speeds can be 50kbps to 250kbps at normal times if there is a 20% take-up of 3's NBS. Only about 25% could be sure of getting as much as 1Mbps.

Agreed the original targets for NBS are wrong, but the contract awarded can't get within 1/4 of them on average if takeup met UPC experience.

watty wrote: »
    If 1.2Mbps was OK for business isn't relevant to the NBS as awarded as the speeds can be 50kbps to 250kbps at normal times if there is a 20% take-up of 3's NBS. Only about 25% could be sure of getting as much as 1Mbps.

Agreed the original targets for NBS are wrong, but the contract awarded can't get within 1/4 of them on average if takeup met UPC experience.

I was pointing out that the theory behind the info coming from the department is...and was ...flawed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 255 ✭✭paddyb125

This 1.2Mb that everyone's talking about will definately not be the case!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,051 ✭✭✭bealtine

Rorser wrote: »

I think someone deleted the comment....anyway....heres the link

http://www.irishrurallink.ie/publications/IRL%20analysis%20of%20NBS.pdf

I deleted the original post but glad to see it's back:)

Another analysis, this time by IrelandOffline:

http://irelandoffline.org/wp-content/2009/02/irelandoffline-nbs_briefing_document.pdf

Seems to go into a lot more detail as to why the NBS won't deliver.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 gleannuirce

In a way eircom's failure to get the NBS is good news for them. The wilder parts of the country are the costliest parts, and they can direct gripers to the govt. and 3.
    For their own part, they will enable all exchanges connected by fibre and SDH radio in their own good time. The price is dropping all the time from Alcatel Lucent and others. The focus will be on upgrading DSL speeds on the back of their NGN. Soon 3's solution will start to look bad, as content providers up the features (and bandwidth requirements) in their products.

Getting PP for masts in remote parts of Ireland will not be easy or cheap.
    If 3 get PP for 10 masts down the Atlantic seaboard fair play to them.

And if they do get PP, install their gear, and provide service, eircom might be tempted to push out their fibre network and install a DSL enabled cabinet just up the road.

And all cabinets operate on at least one pair per premises so no carrier sharing problems.

Comreg were in a no-win position really, though. And I don't blame them for their decision. Eircom are not Telecom Eireann, they are owned mostly by an Australian investment bank.

I think Ireland might be discovering the hard way the meaning of the phrase 'natural monopoly'.

And yes I do work for them.

Bit necro I know, but the USA Gov has just defined broadband as "Two-way data transmission with advertised speeds of at least 768 kilobits per second (kbps) downstream and at least 200 kbps upstream to end users, or providing sufficient capacity in a middle mile project to support the provision of broadband service to end users."

768 kilobits down looks a tad better than our crowd's pathetic stab in the dark :(

http://arstechnica.com/telecom/news/2009/07/make-big-bucks-rolling-out-broadband-to-unserved-areas.ars

E: The inclusion of the word 'advertised' is a tad odd...here it would be taken to mean "we advertise speeds UP TO..."

• Registered Users Posts: 12 davyirl321

It all boils down to money. The guys making the decisions dont care about the customers, they live in areas where their broadband is fast. If you live in the country, then tough luck, thats what there basically saying....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Don't drag up ancient threads with irrelevant information.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement