Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sub 3 or bust!

13»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭Slogger Jogger

Good running Supercell. You're a lucky (weather)man with your running routes :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,470 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Felt well hardcore this evening running. Was icy cold outside with snow swirling in the wind and snow covered fields and hills around me. Very beautiful..very cold!
    My head was frozen off me for the first few KM The Garmin was flat so wasn't able to time the run however felt pretty fast as had to keep the pace up or freeze!
    Still glad i did it was was a right nancy over the weekend and didn't head out in the wind and rain..

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

Similar conditions to yesterday but today wore a hat and my bonce was very thankful for it!!
    Ran 21:48 for 5km without going all out which is my second best time ever. Legs really felt strong and was a spring in my step right to the end and zero knee or shin pain so very happy about that. Gorgeous out with the mountains and higher fields around me looking positively alpine in the snow, really really nice.
    Think I might increase my long run this week from 11km to maybe 13 or 14km depending on the route if i feel as strong tomorrow.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

Was going to do a 15k on a route suggested to me by a boardsie so set out in the car to drive the route first to familiarise myself with it. However was very steep in parts and half was along a very busy road so decided it wasn't for me.
    I didn't want to go looking up new routes so decided i'd just lap the Vartry lakes twice taking a road route on the muddy side of the lakes, which is pretty hilly but little traffic so fine for running.

Total distance 16.09KM in 1:25:55 which is a new long distance for me. Previous long distance was 12km in a "Milk Run" about 22 years ago!
    Needless to say I'm a bit tired now but not too bad, probably will hurt more tomorrow morning.
    Took it easy around the run as I wasn't sure I'd be able for the distance as its a fair step from my previous recent long distance (11km). At 12K hit a hill and hit a bit of a personal wall, felt a bit wobbly and slightly ill but pushed through that and was OK from there on albeit at a reduced pace even if my legs felt like lead weights at times :D

As usual my right knee was a little sore near the finish but nothing major and will be fine as long as i take tomorrow off which I will.

Not going to increase the long distance run now for a couple of weeks until this distance starts to become comfortable, then it will be time to push it out a little further again.
    I think I need to get an mp3 player, despite the lovely scenery 1:25:55 of just my brain for company can be a bit much :D

Its great to reflect on the progress being made, a few months ago I couldn't make it around a 5K course without having to stop and walk multiple times. Legs were sore for about a week afterwards and my knees were killing me for about a month.
    If I knew I'd shortly be running 16k without major pains and be back out again a couple of days later I'd have thought it was incredible progress or even impossible.
    So yep, today is a good day .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,531 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Well done on breaking the new barrier. If you're doing repeated loops, why not stash a bottle of water/sports drink, and take a quick drink between loops. Get some tight knee supports for the knees and put them on after the run (for compression). A radio is great entertainment, if you're not trying to push too hard and just want to enjoy the run.

• Advertisement

Well done on breaking the new barrier. If you're doing repeated loops, why not stash a bottle of water/sports drink, and take a quick drink between loops. Get some tight knee supports for the knees and put them on after the run (for compression). A radio is great entertainment, if you're not trying to push too hard and just want to enjoy the run.

Good idea, I think I do need to get something for the right knee alright, its not bad and distances that left it bits in the past don't give the slightest twinge now.
    Regarding the laps and hydration, funny thing is I did have a bottle of miwadi orange in the car and passed it on the way. I was a bit afraid to to stop in case I didn't start again but in retrospect that's a good idea especially as I polished off two bottles of vino last night and had to make a pit stop half way :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,531 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Some marathon training program (Hal Higdon for example) suggest that you walk through all of the drink stations, so you get a momentary rest, and also avoid spilling the much needed drink! I tried this for the first marathon, forcing myself to walk through each drink station, and didn't bother for the second marathon (around 8 weeks later). Interestingly, the times weren't all that different!

So stopping for a minute to take a drink is perfectly ok. Keep moving though, if you're worried about seizing up!

Super little run this evening.
    Legs were a little stiff after my long run two days ago and first few kilometres were very slow, then my legs seemd to get warmed up and got right back up to pace. Really enjoyed it, run was only 7.85km according to the Garmin but was a new track and pretty hilly and had great fun on one part ,which is a dirt track, bounding over streams and puddles. Even the pouring rain during a shower seemed enjoyable as it cooled me down nicely. Overall a really enjoyable run and one i think I use for my short runs for the next couple of weeks or so. Time was irrelvant (41:34), new run, stiff legs, just getting to know the road.

Ran a little further to make sure i got the 8k in today. Think my Garmin is dying :(
    Has been taking longer and longer to get a signal, this evening felt like a good five minutes to get a signal which it then lost about 20 seconds into my run and only picked it up for the last few kilometres. Really quite annoyed about that especially as I'm heading off to China in a couple of weeks and wanted to keep it to record my exotic runs :(
    I may just bin it and get a 305 which while looking like something out of a 70's sci-fi flick it does apparently seem to be less buggy.
    Regarding the run, pleasnat enough, legs pretty tired, will take a break after tomorrows 8k, may even cut that one tothe 5k route depending on how the legs feel. No risk of injury i think as no joits pain just musles a littly crampy feeling now and again during the during the run but nothing to stop me heading out.
    Must see if there is a firmware update for the watch, though the fact that its gps signal finding time seems to be progressive than simply intermittant, i fear its dying.

Nice run today did 15.12km in 1:21:05 from Annamoe to Glendalough and back.
    Slow enough time but not bothered about that. First time in a long run that my knees didn't give me any trouble at all. Tendons at the back of my ankles feel a little sore but thats normal, nothing worse than usual, hope that that wil go like the knee pain appears to have.
    Felt like the ever ready bunny today. While I am tired I could probably have pushed another few KM if I had to so next week I think I'll give an 18km run a go and see if I can do it.

What's more pleasing is that its fairly hilly between Annamoe and Glendalough (over 700 metres of climb according to the Garmin overall) compared to the Vartry lakes long runs I've been doing lately which are pretty flat.
    So looks like the day of rest yesterday (though I hated not getting out in the wilds) was good for me overall.

Tomorrow will probably just do a short 5k recovery run or maybe 8km depending on how the legs feel.

• Advertisement

Temporary break in the pouring rain here so went out for a run.
    Very windy and wild out. Went out without a hat and my head was seriously cold for the first couple of kilometres but warmed up after that.

Cloud base is just above me here so for a few km was literally running in the clouds which was pretty cool in more ways than one!
    On the way back I was virtually blown home.

Was surprised how comfortable the 8km was today given my 15km yesterday, fitness is really improving. Surprisingly little muscle pain and no doubt will be fine by tomorrow, my recovery time seems to have hugely sped up also.
    Think i'll see how 9km feels tomorrow and make that my daily run for the next week or so if it feels comfortable. 10km will be a significant daily mark for me, but that's probably about three weeks away.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭Slogger Jogger

Good going Supercell. A dodgey road for running along through ?

Will you make an appearance at the imra runs? The one in Trooperstown is right up your 'street'?

Thanks Slogger Jogger.
    My daily run is on a back road with maybe three cars in 40 minutes of running passing me so pretty safe.
    The road from Annamoe to Laragh is pretty busy though, ran on that for the 15k before, not sure if I want to do that too often. The daily run back road does lead down to Laragh though is extremely steep at the end and I'm not comfortable running down that kind of incline yet.
    Same goes for the IRMA races, I'll definately be running those eventually but don't think I'm near fit enough to survive running up and down mountains just yet!
    If I can get my runs in when on holidays in China then might be at a good fitness level, I seem to be increasing distance rapidly at the moment which is a good place to be :)

Think i'm loosing the plot, I had planned to do 9km but after checking Woddle's infernal league table worked out that if I did an extra .2km I would move a place higher afterwards.....
    Problem is that the extra is down a really really steep road..I felt close to pukking by the time I made it back up hehe, still, what doesnt kill you makes you stronger as they say :)

Not updated this in a while, doing so today cos i need somewhere to vent!!!

Training had been going great up to about two weeks ago..
    Then I introduced weights into my routine and its all gone pearshaped since then :(

I was doing deadlifts about two weeks ago and my left knee and left calf felt a little tender afterwards but nothing major..

I went out running and my knee felt a little sore after a standard 10k run..next day I could barely walk :(

So cue one week later..knee feeling better so i head out on a run, way too hard way too soon, calf muscle exploded in pain about 4 km in..... So for the last week have been doing cycling. I far far far far prefer running to cycling but at least it keeps me active.

So today calf muscle feels good enough to give it a little try out with a slow pace..so I decide on a 8k run with no major hills and a slow and steady 12kmph pace
    I get to 7.95km..literally my front door is in sight, calf feels a bit tight but not sore..so far so good, birds are singing, sun is shining I am feeling just fine, all is good with the world..

Then a f"£$"!£%"£!$%£$!%£$!%£$!£$!&^%^*ing insect flies right into my left ear and buzzes in there, the shock of it makes me literally jump...you know what's coming........my f"£%^$%&ing calf muscle goes again..I hope to my front door utterly dejected and pissed f£$$%"£$^"£$^"£$^"£$^"£$^ing off.
    That another week down the drain and another week i have to bloody cycle again and no doubt the muscle will be even more prone to going again now until its completely 100%, this is ruining my marathon preparation.

Therapeutic rant over, one day I hope to be running injury free again, right now that seems a long way off . I'm just going to leave any weight training that hits my legs hard completely out in future, or maybe just keep it light.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 541 ✭✭✭another world

bad luck there.

Don´t forget you need to warm up well for any weight lifting session and start out on the lower weights. I wouldn´t leave them out altogether, they have their place and can help to keep some injuries away.

Advertisement