Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

99 clio?

Options
  • 25-11-2008 8:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭

Hi guys,

I'm thinking about getting a 99 clio I've seen for my other half. it's in good condition has a few months nct left, but I just have 2 questions.

First, is there anything in particular I should look out for? (It's a 1.2 rn model)

Secondly, I've read reports that the timing belt/water pump should be done every 36000 miles. I'm fairly certain this wasn't in the original service plan, so basically, how dangerous is it to run past the 36000 mark? I realise thats a bit of an open ended question, but an opinion would be appreciated.

This car has 81000 miles on it and the belt/pump were done at 51

thanks!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 112 ✭✭sammy657

How much is it going for mate?

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭natnif

sammy657 wrote: »
    How much is it going for mate?

€1500

Not tooooo shabby for that price plus the nct for a few months. Well it depends usually you start to hear the tensioner making a noise before it goes. Only replace things if they start to go or have gone dont touch what dont need doing mate. Tho if the belt snaps your looking at a few car. Not a bad buy tho it totally up to you

Not tooooo shabby for that price plus the nct for a few months. Well it depends usually you start to hear the tensioner making a noise before it goes. Only replace things if they start to go or have gone dont touch what dont need doing mate. Tho if the belt snaps your looking at a few car. Not a bad buy tho it totally up to you

Thats pretty much my thinking on it too, I guess I'm just wondering if many of them do fail. Is it generally the tensioner that goes? IN which case fitting a spurious one would possibly be better?

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

36000 seems very low. Cant remember off hand but I think mine was done at 60k, definately havent heard of it needing doing at 36k before.

• Advertisement

Usually cos the belt is glazed or cracked mate. If you know it was done at 51k i would leave it untill 90k should be fine mate just when you get it change the oil filters spark plugs and air filter

Stekelly wrote: »
    36000 seems very low. Cant remember off hand but I thonk mine was done at 60k, definately havent heard of it needing doing at 36k before.

Depends on the car

Stekelly wrote: »
    36000 seems very low. Cant remember off hand but I thonk mine was done at 60k, definately havent heard of it needing doing at 36k before.

Have you still got yours? what sort of miles are on it now?

Usually cos the belt is glazed or cracked mate. If you know it was done at 51k i would leave it untill 90k should be fine mate just when you get it change the oil filters spark plugs and air filter

plugs and filters were only done 4000 miles ago which is handy enough! Thanks mate, I'll have a decent look at the belt when I go back out. I know it's tricky to tell from looking but I might be able to see some wear on it

Im not a mechanic mate but ive learnt alot from having to do things to my car the past year so yeah. If its not cracked or glazed its fine. Would be good just to change the oil anyway mate even at 4k as you dont know how long its been in there espically after the weather were having at the moment

• Advertisement

Depends on the car

Well I assume we are still talking about the 99 clio in the op, no? Unless something changed before my post?

natnif wrote: »
    Have you still got yours? what sort of miles are on it now?

The mother drives it now. Think its somewhere in the mid 80's. Never missed a beat. It's a 00 but the Clio wasnt facelifted till 02 I think so it's the same car as your looking at.

Sorry mate my bad was just saying mileage on a belt depends on the car can range from 40k to even 100k

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,097 ✭✭✭Darragh29

For 1500 yo yo's ye can't go wrong there. The only thing I've seen go on them is anti-roll bar bushings but they are very cheap to sort out. Wouldn't worry about the timing belt until 100K...

Advertisement