Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Laptop - €500 Max price

• 25-11-2008 8:34pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭

The mother wants to buy a laptop for my younger brothers, I know a bit about computers but not great on laptops so I'm wondering where's the best place to go and whats a good value laptop for €500, preferably less (recession and all that :p).

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭ASTRACLUB

The best deal

Acer 3Gb Ram, 150Gb, Core2duo, all other included, 15" screen, USB, blue tooth, webcam inbuilt, 4 USB, DVD writer, Mike inbuilt speaker, Great look 499Euro
    I bought 2 last month but with 550 each,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭daftdave

i bought this myself, there is a thread in the bargain alerts area on this one, if you do buy it, use the google checkout option , they are a uk site so it can be quite awkward to use the normal checkout , google checkout got me there in one !!! ......super laptop for 510 delivered (euro)

http://www.ebuyer.com/product/149335

ASTRACLUB wrote: »
    The best deal

Acer 3Gb Ram, 150Gb, Core2duo, all other included, 15" screen, USB, blue tooth, webcam inbuilt, 4 USB, DVD writer, Mike inbuilt speaker, Great look 499Euro
    I bought 2 last month but with 550 each,

link ?

by the way, if your bros are thinking of playing the latest games, a laptop might not be the best idea unless ye get a desktop with a decent graphics card/RAM/processor etc

Make sure you buy Core2duo (intel)
    thats ht best processor,
    http://www.currys.co.uk/martprd/store/cur_page.jsp?BV_SessionID=@@@@0641546902.1227692757@@@@&BV_EngineID=ccekadefkhmijdkcflgceggdhhmdfnn.0&page=Product&sku=322255

Just go to any currys, even 4 GB memery now
    wow!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭Julez

daftdave wrote: »
    by the way, if your bros are thinking of playing the latest games, a laptop might not be the best idea unless ye get a desktop with a decent graphics card/RAM/processor etc

Yeah, no they won't be using it for too much of that, I've a good gaming PC here anyway that they can use.

Thanks for the replys lads, might go with that HP one!

HP has AMD processor, are you sure? Burning issue, hang issue,
    I would recommend goiing any laptop but with Intel prcoessor

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭Julez

I have an AMD processor in my home PC and I'm never had any problems with it, should there be a difference with the laptop? Are you suggesting I go with Acer over HP?

go any module brand (Hp or Acer)
    But component wise Intel processors especially Core2due is a hit and thats the reason It has captured more than 90% of the market,
    heating issue is most common in AMD
    go for Acer or HP with a look, whichever look sleek and good desing
    HP at my workplace look sh*** and thats why i went for acer

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,135 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

• Advertisement

AMD..avoid

good one, i bought 2 in july for €550, good look
    this one is slightly over, but a great performer
    http://www.laptopsdirect.ie/Acer_Asp...11/version.asp

The best
    this ones pretty bang on your max budget
    http://www.laptopsdirect.ie/ASUS_F5R...5C/version.asp

2GB only (fading) will be no use in enxt 8 months or so due to low memory

Not sure on how much they charge for delivery but same thing can be bought in PCworld or currys for same price, brand new..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 288 ✭✭Publin

i bought this myself, there is a thread in the bargain alerts area on this one, if you do buy it, use the google checkout option , they are a uk site so it can be quite awkward to use the normal checkout , google checkout got me there in one !!! ......super laptop for 510 delivered (euro)

http://www.ebuyer.com/product/149335

Been trying to order this laptop with no joy. Ordered yesterday via google checkout. It got cancelled and the money refunded. No explanation as to why. I rang them and was told that I should just go through their own checkout.

So I hung up, tried that and it would'nt let me enter an Irish address, wanted a UK post code, wouldn't accept an Irish credit card.
    Rang them again and they gave me a post code to enter and a telephone number it would accept and placed the order.

It's now just been cancelled AGAIN, because it's a non-UK (i.e. Irish) registered credit card.

Can you please tell me how you actually managed to order from these jokers??

Thanks in advance!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,748 ✭✭✭Do-more

Saw this Sony Vaio for €469 mentioned on the laptops forum, might be worth checking out.

invest4deepvalue.com

Do-more wrote: »
    Saw this Sony Vaio for €469 mentioned on the laptops forum, might be worth checking out.

Thanks for that link mate! Having awful hassle with ordering from ebuyer, I'm gonna ring them in the morning and after that if they give me an ounce of trouble they can forget it.

The one you posted looks really good for the money from the little I know about computers. Anyone else who know a bit more care to share their thoughts on the best laptops mentioned in this thread?
    How good are this crowd about fast delivery ?

Publin wrote: »
    Been trying to order this laptop with no joy. Ordered yesterday via google checkout. It got cancelled and the money refunded. No explanation as to why. I rang them and was told that I should just go through their own checkout.

So I hung up, tried that and it would'nt let me enter an Irish address, wanted a UK post code, wouldn't accept an Irish credit card.
    Rang them again and they gave me a post code to enter and a telephone number it would accept and placed the order.

It's now just been cancelled AGAIN, because it's a non-UK (i.e. Irish) registered credit card.

Can you please tell me how you actually managed to order from these jokers??

Thanks in advance!

if they change yours from an order to a quote, log into your account on ebuyer and change from quote back to an order, thats what a girl working there told me on the phone, have you tried to order over the phone instead of the internet, their site does not make it easy to order online, as for the vaio, beautiful laptop with a great spec for the price, i hear that company can be a pain regarding after sales customer service , do a quick google search to see oter peoples problems.

if they change yours from an order to a quote, log into your account on ebuyer and change from quote back to an order, thats what a girl working there told me on the phone, have you tried to order over the phone instead of the internet, their site does not make it easy to order online, as for the vaio, beautiful laptop with a great spec for the price, i hear that company can be a pain regarding after sales customer service , do a quick google search to see oter peoples problems.

That's just what I've done now, thanks fore the advice :).
    I tried to order over the phone too but they asked me to do it online (I was on to Customer support as opposed to sales though as their number was engaged).
    Was going to order the Vaio this morning after spending 15mins on the phone with no answer from ebuyer. Then the Vaio is out of stock!!

Was looking at this one:
    http://www.laptopsdirect.ie/asp/versions.asp?rewrite=ASUS_X50GL_AP008E_Laptop_X50GL-AP008E&pagetype=version&page=
    Anyone know if it's much good??
    And does double memory offer mean 4GB RAM?

Advertisement