Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Xbox adds on the telly.

Options
  • 25-11-2008 8:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,332 ✭✭✭

Right ,everyone must have seen one of the adds for the xbox by now ?

Is the fan on the xbox still very loud or have they sorted it out.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

Heh, "telly".

• Registered Users Posts: 10,245 ✭✭✭✭Fanny Cradock

Like a hair-drier in an adjacent room.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

Like a hair-drier in an adjacent room.

It's more like a hair-dryer sellotaped to your face...

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭Rochie IRL

It is still noisey but with the new NXE you can save your game to the HD and then you wont hear a peep out of the console.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,427 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Rochie IRL wrote: »
    It is still noisey but with the new NXE you can save your game to the HD and then you wont hear a peep out of the console.

Yep it's a much better experience and tbh it wasn;t that big a deal in the first place.

• Advertisement

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Yep it's a much better experience and tbh it wasn;t that big a deal in the first place.

Couldn't disagree more. My 360 elite sits on the floor and the vibration is unbelievable. My gaming PC rig sits on the floor and doesn't create nearly as much noise, as well as the PS3.

As for installing, apparently some games (Halo3) don't fare out too well performance-wise with installation because they were designed to be streamed from the disk

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,332 ✭✭✭311

Thanks for the replies ,I was seriously considering buying a 360 at the current price.
    But the noise would stop me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 194 ✭✭pipeliner

does downloading the games effect their performance in any way. The fans dont bother me that much so i would rather a noisy console over a slow one

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,427 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

As for installing, apparently some games (Halo3) don't fare out too well performance-wise with installation because they were designed to be streamed from the disk

It doesn't affect their performance at all. The only thing is that there is no improvement in loading times or maybe they are a second slower. For example in Halo 3's case if you have a hard disk the game used to cache to the hard disk from the disk. When playing from the hard disk the game is both reading from the disk and caching to the hard disk slowing things down. In game is fine though. Most games have much better loading times and the reduction in noise is well worth it.

As for playing from the disk, it's noisy but when I'm playing a game I don't notice it.

I haven't a clue about how the online system works on the xbox ,what way do the downloadable movies work ?

• Advertisement

311 wrote: »
    I haven't a clue about how the online system works on the xbox ,what way do the downloadable movies work ?

You need to have a credit card or buy a points card in game, xtra-vision, gamestop, etc. worth the value of the movie you want, or more (usually the latter). Then you go to the marketplace on your xbox 360 dashboard, select the film you want to buy/rent and proceed with the transaction. If you rent, the content will automagically disappear after the allocated amount of time!

Thanks projectmayhem.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,980 ✭✭✭✭GBX

Rochie IRL wrote: »

Complete newb here .... How do you go about saving to the HD? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

Download the new "Xbox Experience" interface.

I installed GOW2 to the HDD, makes such a difference, I can now play at night with the volume on low so I don't wake people up and STILL be able to enjoy the game's atmosphere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,400 ✭✭✭Vyse

The only time I ever notice the fan noise is during a quiet section of a film. Has never bothered me during a game but theh again I wouldn't have the volume turned that low down either:)

Advertisement