Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Traffic management plans for Salthill Pearse stadium

Options
  • 25-11-2008 8:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭

Pearse Stadium had a match on Sunday 23,nov last and was to call to mates house to fine a match on and no parking in the area , Now i feel for the resident out there ... there where cars parked on double yellow lines and grass verges, obstruction of corners, footpaths and gateways forcing pedestrians, wheelchair users and people with prams onto the roadson grass area , footpaths , double yellow lines and what real gets me going is a cars and bus where parked on the Wheelchair spots with out wheelchairs permits ! there was a carpark for official Gaa heads , the place was dead few cars and and bus are two .

when i asked could park in the school so i could back and pick up my mate who live few door up , told read the sing "official Gaa parking" when i again told them need to call over and pick up my mate and that could pull across his drive way due to a car had blocked him in ( later found out ) i need to drop off few boxes that i had for him . Again told no its only for Gaa people , now you could parked 200 more cars in the school , this was at 3 15 pm the match was near over at this stage i have learned , and guy on the gay you where rude and can called the cops any time on me

now if i parked in galway city you get ticketed are clamped are towed away

whats going on there ? any one know , think garda would ticket car parked wrong in the area

? any one know whats going on out there

ice

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭extraice

TV PLEASE wrote: »
    suck it up you should have been at the match

leave the gaa alone dam right he should'nt have let you park there its for officials only ... stop crying and grow a pair

go on the gaa

thought that would be the answers for a Gaa head , so what the loacl two do ?

again the carpark was empty what about my mates blocked drive way , person went to the match left there car across his right of way , he was blocked in for two hours are more , say he need drive to work , are to A&E whats he to do wait .... an befor you say to get a bus , there was none that cont get past the hilltop shop with parking , taxis wont come near place as Imposable , now aday people just come for the match and leve to head home to drink there only loacl pubs

Inconsistent people at the matchs cars parked on double yellow lines and grass verges, obstruction of corners, footpaths and gateways forcing pedestrians, wheelchair users and people with prams onto the roadson grass area , footpaths , double yellow lines and what real gets me going is a cars and bus where parked on the Wheelchair spots with out wheelchairs permits ! there was a carpark for official Gaa heads , the place was dead few cars and and bus are two .

Gaa are making Millions off euros and wont even help the loacls , mmmmm

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

What can I tell ya? It's the same at every GAA park I've been to all over the country. Never enough spaces so people just park wherever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

did you not get the memo? the government declared traffic management illegal years ago. best be careful, i hear Willie O Dea is planning punishment beatings for mere mention of the words 'management', 'planning', 'foresight', 'strategy' or 'long term' in relation to any government or public activity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 985 ✭✭✭spadder

Ye can't be at that lads...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j8k1d8uX9Gw

"PJ will be down there Sunday"

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

An Garda used to publish ads (1997?) in the newspapers about parking in Pearse outlining the roads closed & the designated carparks. They also mentioned that any cars causing an obstruction would be towed away.

The school is private property so the GAA guy can tell you to get lost.
    If you have a problem with illegally parked motorcars, make a complaint to An Garda and take photographs of your driveway if need be. The reason you'd want to do this is because people pay money to park in Galway or get tickets for not doing so

• Advertisement

there 2 thinks i found why looking in G and here it is http://www.pearsestadium.blogspot.com/

and this show you how bad thinks are out beside the Stadium

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xg3KGz-yQ-Q

take a look whats going on

my mates had rang the Garda to betold 1 it would cost him two get it towed 2. and that cont get the truch to him due all the cars blocking the area , now that joke

• Registered Users Posts: 1,540 ✭✭✭sgthighway

extraice - if you have a problem with the parking I'd suggest you contact the local Garda Station because nobody here can help. I didn't see any problem with the video on YouTube either. I couldn't help noticing it was taken by somebody who likes recording protests. Nothing better to do.

If I won the EuroMillions I would buy Pearse Stadium and build a big Halting Site there instead. I'd call it the Lonely Loom Halting Site. I'd also invite the Rockbarton Road and Rockbarton Green Residents Assoc to the official opening.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

sgthighway wrote: »
    extraice - if you have a problem with the parking I'd suggest you contact the local Garda Station because nobody here can help. I didn't see any problem with the video on YouTube either. I couldn't help noticing it was taken by somebody who likes recording protests. Nothing better to do.

I think it was the non-enforcement of parking laws by An Garda that is part of the problem.

Have not seen that video before, very interesting.
    The Garda instruct the Council to switch off the traffic lights (& the pedestrian lights) but don't give direction to pedestrians to cross the road.
    Pedestrians are discriminated against by the non-removal of abandoned cars on footpaths and also by the removal and not providing any method to safely cross the road.

well that's my take on it!

• Registered Users Posts: 25,965 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

I didn't see any problem with the video on YouTube either. I couldn't help noticing it was taken by somebody who likes recording protests. Nothing better to do.

Shoulda gone to Specsavers.

The comment posted with the video on U-tube explains it quite well, IMHO:

"When GAA matches of any significance are played at Pearse Stadium in Galway, there is always major traffic congestion. Illegal parking on footpaths is the norm, and is routinely ignored by the Gardai and GAA officials (and by Traffic Wardens, in the unlikely event that any are present). This video shows two Gardai on traffic duty immediately after a game on 5th October 2008. Clearly their priority is "traffic flow", with the safety and convenience of pedestrians being of no importance. Watch how the two Gardai direct a constant stream of traffic at this crossroads, completely ignoring the pedestrians, some of them children, who are trying to cross the road. Is this what they're taught at Garda College in Templemore? "

The fact that it was made by someone with previous experience making videos of public events is irrelevant.

I'm not sure how correct the entry at the top of the blog is - but I haven't seen any reubuttal since it was printed as a letter in the Advertiser a few weeks back, which makes me think it's on the mark.

IMHO, only residents should be allowed into the surrounding streets when there's a game on. Everyone else, officials included, should have to use a park and ride from points outside town. But clearly this isn't an approach that the GAA have taken.

well this is a board where you can chat are make point here , YES just sayying that the local residents are getting the short end the stick there and not been looked after . park and ride was part off the Planning back where it was been builted in 2000s . City Council turn Blind Eye to GAA’s flouting of Planning

reading the blog and going back over paper cuttings , galway skyline is going to be have 4 big masts of four floodlight masts 44 metres high that see all over galway ,

just making point here

• Advertisement

Its all part of our culture and we all know how hard that is to change. The Crimestoppers clip has it in one.

I saw one off duty cop pull up one day in his own car; he got out removed two no parking cones and put them on top of two other cones and parked up in what was now a good spot and headed into the match.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,579 ✭✭✭Sconsey

Part of the problem is that the Guards do little or nothing when you ring them, are they afraid of the GAA?, if you want evidence check out that blogspot. And as a resident you would not believe some of the **** I have seen: the guards put out 'no parking' bollards, one day a pr*ck in a big 4x4 pulled up outside a house, picked up the bollard and threw it into the garden of the house, then proceeded to park on the footpath. The cops didn't do a thing! ...that's just one of many examples.

If I won the EuroMillions I would buy Pearse Stadium and build a big Halting Site there instead. I'd call it the Lonely Loom Halting Site. I'd also invite the Rockbarton Road and Rockbarton Green Residents Assoc to the official opening.

Why? do you have a problem with people trying protect/maintain their neighbourhood? do you condone constant breaking of planning conditions? do you agree with ignorant people parking where they like without any consideration for others?
    I don't understand why you have a problem, I think you would have a different attitude if this crap was happening outside your home.

Sorry I'm ignorant :rolleyes:

Sconsey wrote: »
    Part of the problem is that the Guards do little or nothing when you ring them, are they afraid of the GAA?

Either that, or they're part of the GAA (wonder how many play themselves) - or perhaps they've just realised the futility of acting against someone who will just pull some strings and get the whole thing to disappear, or perhaps they really are vastly overworked (the population of Galway doubled in ten years, did the number of gardi also double?).

Or maybe a bit of all three.

I don't think there should be floodlights installed into Pearce Stadium. And I think that issue should be enough to make the GAA find an alternative venue.

But I've not a lot of sympathy for the residents otherwise: they knew the stadium was there when they purchased in the neighbourhood.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,048 ✭✭✭SimpleSam06

Sconsey wrote: »
    one day a pr*ck in a big 4x4 pulled up outside a house, picked up the bollard and threw it into the garden of the house, then proceeded to park on the footpath. The cops didn't do a thing!
    FCBQA5PYYOEQ6T20RP.MEDIUM.jpg

Yes indeed.

I don't know if it was the GAA's idea, but finally one of the elements of the alleged traffic management plan for Pearse Stadium is being implemented - years later:

http://news.galwaytransport.info/2013/05/park-n-ride-to-connacht-gaa-championships-pearce-stadium-salthill.html

Yes, this is a necro thread. But I kinda figured it was appropriate - and it's one of the less contentious ones that we've seen on the topic.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,268 ✭✭✭ratracer

First the old night clubs in Salthill, now traffic management in Pearse std. Is there a secret party in Salthill that I'm unaware of un the near future?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,711 ✭✭✭Redhairedguy

It ain't secret! 25th of May, dude! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 739 ✭✭✭flynnlives

oh here we go! the looney locals from rockbarton are up in arms once again because for a few hours on one day of the year someone might park in front of their gafs!!

heres a news flash! the stadium was there long before ye snobs!

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭pdiddy

It ain't secret! 25th of May, dude! ;)

thats my birtday party how did you find out it was supposed to be secret:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Please don't drag up old threads. The views and input from 2008 may not be valid any more.
    You could start a new one and refer to the old one, that way people would know.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement