Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

how long until the esb cut your supply off??

Options
  • 25-11-2008 8:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,682 ✭✭✭

hi. this might be the wrong section for this
    mods please move if it is..

my esb bill is 1 month overdue... how long do i have untill they cut me off??????

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Not sure where is best, but moved to Consumer Issues.

dudara

• Registered Users Posts: 1,682 ✭✭✭monty_python

where is consumer issues??? i cant find it!!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,992 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

hi. this might be the wrong section for this
    mods please move if it is..

my esb bill is 1 month overdue... how long do i have untill they cut me off??????

AFAIK they have to get a court order to disonnect ESB or water. 1 month overdue isn't too bad, we've missed paying the odd bill all they do is add it onto the next one.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

You're in it right now. I've moved the thread there for you.

dudara wrote: »
    You're in it right now. I've moved the thread there for you.
    cool

• Advertisement

Del2005 wrote: »
    AFAIK they have to get a court order to disonnect ESB or water. 1 month overdue isn't too bad, we've missed paying the odd bill all they do is add it onto the next one.
    even cooler!!
    ill pay them in janurary so!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Same here. I have missed paying ESB bills simply because I have lost the bill through my own stupidity and I was too lazy and tired to contact ESB to get them to resend it.

They add the previous amount on to your next bill.
    After that if you still won't pay up given enough time, they start getting more serious.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭amcalester

i was told a few years ago about telecom eireann that because it was deemed an essential utility in the house and they were a state company even if they did disconnect you theu have to reconnect you when you ask them to. Assume the same would be true for ESB.

Could have been bullsh1t though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭dh0661

AFAIK if you are disconnected there is a hefty reconnection fee.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Don't think they need a court order for it. Some friends of mine were cut off a few years back, after they hadn't paid the bill for about 2 months.

If it's due, pay it now. Reconnection is subject to a fee of several hundred euro. Not something you want to do.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,582 ✭✭✭✭TheZohanS

You'll be grand. I went aw to Australia for 5 months and completely forgot about the ESB bill.

I came home to a few letters saying the bill was overdue but they didn't cut me off.

I rang them up and asked them to send me out an up to date bill so I could pay the lot, they said it was ok just pay the next one that was due in a few days.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,834 ✭✭✭Welease

My recommendation to you would be to speak to them. Most companies are pretty good about working out payment terms if there is an issue, and you may find they offer more suitable payment plans for your current circumstances.. They only tend to push for disconnection if you appear to be ignorning them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭gerrycollins

ill take it you cant/wont pay this months?

thats grand they will add it to next periods and even of you only pay off next periods and leave the original unpaid they will continue to add it to subsequent bills.

if you leave a few outstanding they will call you and are very obliging asking that you only pay an increased(not the full) amount to start working into the outstanding amount.

beware if you are supplied by some one outside ESB they are not so forgiving.

amcalester wrote: »
    i was told a few years ago about telecom eireann that because it was deemed an essential utility in the house and they were a state company even if they did disconnect you theu have to reconnect you when you ask them to. Assume the same would be true for ESB.

Could have been bullsh1t though.

Phones can be cut off without warning and even after only missing payment by a few days, happened us when I was young. They used to block outgoing calls for a few days then incoming also. This was back in the day when the goverment owned it, with private owners I'd say they'd disconnect you quicker.

beware if you are supplied by some one outside ESB they are not so forgiving.

Electricity and water can't be cut off without a court order, everything else can be, doesn't mater who supplies it. Non ESB providers may not be as easy going as ESB with missed payments but they can't just cut you off.

• Registered Users Posts: 636 ✭✭✭cute_cow

If you're findsing it hard to pay for your ESB bill, they do have an EasyPay card. Means you can go into the post office or shop and pay some off every week.

Most weeks put a few bob on it, and come bill time, its either very little or I am in credit. You just call up ESB and ask them to send you out one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

Phones can be cut off without warning and even after only missing payment by a few days, happened us when I was young. They used to block outgoing calls for a few days then incoming also. This was back in the day when the goverment owned it, with private owners I'd say they'd disconnect you quicker.

Electricity and water can't be cut off without a court order, everything else can be, doesn't mater who supplies it. Non ESB providers may not be as easy going as ESB with missed payments but they can't just cut you off.
    https://www.esb.ie/esbcustomersupply/residential/your_account/disconnection_policy.jsp
    according to the E.S.B. website they can cut supply for non payment(they make no mention of court orders)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭Kat1170

EasyPay in the post office and on line are the easiest ways to pay. Just put a little off your bill whenever you can, surprising how it adds up.

foggy_lad wrote: »
    https://www.esb.ie/esbcustomersupply/residential/your_account/disconnection_policy.jsp
    according to the E.S.B. website they can cut supply for non payment(they make no mention of court orders)

Of course their not going to tell you they can't cut you off without a court order, why would anyone pay.

cute_cow wrote: »
    If you're findsing it hard to pay for your ESB bill, they do have an EasyPay card. Means you can go into the post office or shop and pay some off every week.

Most weeks put a few bob on it, and come bill time, its either very little or I am in credit. You just call up ESB and ask them to send you out one.
    Kat1170 wrote: »
    EasyPay in the post office and on line are the easiest ways to pay. Just put a little off your bill whenever you can, surprising how it adds up.

Are you still on the standard ESB rates with this or do you pay more? Only interested because of the recent UK report where people on pay meters where paying the most.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭gerrycollins

Of course their not going to tell you they can't cut you off without a court order, why would anyone pay.

from personal experience they dont need a court order.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Completely wrong. ESB does not need a court order to disconnect, however it is the final action following many attempts to collect or make arrangements for phased payments if the customer is in trouble. If this is the first bill which is late being paid and does not includen any arrears then there will be no action but I'd recommend clearing it before the next one comes out as you would be on strike one if you have a bill in arrears and it affects credit rating and future follow up procedures if you miss paying a bill.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭Fiona24

Hi All,

How do you get an Easypay card

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Fiona24 wrote: »
    Hi All,

How do you get an Easypay card

Phone 1850 372 372 (1850 ESB ESB)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭AARRRGH

A moronic ex-flatmate (and ex-friend) of mine asked can she keep the ESB bill in my name. I assumed she wouldn't take the piss.

Well, over one year later in her place (my old flat) I discover she hadn't paid the bill in over one year... The latest bill was about €1,500.

(This was the girl who used to sleep with random homeless guys if anyone has read my previous posts about her!)

Anyway, her ESB supply hadn't been cut off yet.

EDIT: After thinking about this, she also screwed me over on the phone bill and NTL bill. This girl used to be in a relationship for about three years with another boards.ie user who I know. She must have cheated on him at least 300 times in those three years (she used to go out to the street at night by herself and bring home strangers.) She told me she never used condoms as she was "getting revenge" on men. To this day I still contemplate whether I should tell the boards.ie user about this. He thinks she was an innocent thing. :(

EDIT2: I had to get that off my chest. Sorry!!

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 9,948 ✭✭✭mik_da_man

I can also confirm that the ESB do not need a court odrer of any kind to cut your supply.
    How long it takes would depend on your payment history.
    You'll get a few calls/letters advising to pay by a certain date or be cut off.
    Then one day a ESB van will pull up outside and Bang - you're cut off!

Do us all a favour and add an EDIT3 to delete all that tripe!:mad:

I've just read some of your previous posts and being rude appears to be your common method of communication!

Chill. :pac:

Monty P asked a civil question and I gave a factual civil answer, as was the case with Fiona's question; so I don't know where you're coming from!
    You're the one who, totally off topic, is casting aspersions on somebody.

(Apologies Mods for Off Topic but had to reply. Will delete after allowing time to be read.)

I'm talking about your posts in previous topics. Click your username followed by "Find more posts by Riley Scary Kitty"...

Anyway, take it to PM or a mod if you have an issue with my posts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 439 ✭✭Emerald Lass

TheZohan wrote: »
    You'll be grand. I went aw to Australia for 5 months and completely forgot about the ESB bill.

I came home to a few letters saying the bill was overdue but they didn't cut me off.

I rang them up and asked them to send me out an up to date bill so I could pay the lot, they said it was ok just pay the next one that was due in a few days.

the reason they didn't disconnect you is probably because although there was an o/s bill, there were not new additional charges cos no one was using the leccie. If you owed them money, and then the bill continued getting bigger each month then I am sure they would cut you off.

also I suppose it depends on how much you are overdue by - if its €100 you will probably get more grace period than if you owe €500!

tenants of mine moved out owing €780 to ESB - I rang them when the bill came and advised them that the tenant was no longer in the house. Girl on the end of the phone said it was lucky I rang as they were ready to disconnect! They then give you 7 days after they disconnect the supply, after this if you still don't pay they come and put a lock on the meter, meaning that you have to pay €100 to have the lock removed and get reconnected, plus any monies outstanding.

My advice is give them what you can manage - ring them and let them know, and even if you can only manage €5 or €10 each week chip away at the bill - once they see you are paying them regularly and trying to clear the arrears you have a better chance that they will not cut you off.

As for the not being legally able to cut you off - not so sure about that, as I know of a few people who have been cut off. They need a court order to pursue the money, but as you are pnly paying for a service, I assume a service can be withdrawn by the provider if you are not paying for it??? I may be wrong, I honestly don't know the legalities of it, so just making an observation. but I do know of people who have been cut off, so it does happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭angelfire9

This is NOT TRUE
    I used to pay all my bills by direct debit when i switched banks the DD's should have switched with me, all but one did.. the ESB i missed 2 payments and was cut off (NO COURT ORDER NECCESSARY), to be fair they did send letters to warn me but i didn't open them cos i assumed it was either spam or bills that were being paid by DD
    The reconnect fee is €75+ VAT

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

also you do not need an easypay card to pay off in smaller amounts just go into any post office with the bill and they can use that to pay any amount off your bill and staple your receipt to it so you know how much is paid and remaining.

Advertisement