Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

how long until the esb cut your supply off??

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

dh0661 wrote: »
    AFAIK if you are disconnected there is a hefty reconnection fee.

Reconnection Fee ex vat €86.00 inc vat €97.61
    Disconnection Fee ex vat €84.00 inc vat €95.34

• Registered Users Posts: 4,384 ✭✭✭pred racer

Del2005 wrote: »
    AFAIK they have to get a court order to disonnect ESB or water. 1 month overdue isn't too bad, we've missed paying the odd bill all they do is add it onto the next one.

dunno about water, but the esb can disconnect you for non payment without recourse to the courts.(believe me i know:o ) my esb bills are small now, so i normally only pay them every second bill. i wouldnt worry about it

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭josh59

mik_da_man wrote: »
    I can also confirm that the ESB do not need a court odrer of any kind to cut your supply.
    How long it takes would depend on your payment history.
    You'll get a few calls/letters advising to pay by a certain date or be cut off.
    Then one day a ESB van will pull up outside and Bang - you're cut off!

They don't need a court order - a relative of mine sent in overstated readings in error (included the fractions wheel on the meter in the reading) and the bill went up to a few grand. There was a direct debit set up to pay the bill which of course hopped a few times. For one reason or another which I wont go into here the power was cut off to the house despite letters being sent.

However once a corrected reading was given to them and the bill was then MUCH less than they had been billed power was restored - had to pay the re-connection fee all the same

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭DannyKing

AARRRGH wrote: »
    A moronic ex-flatmate (and ex-friend) of mine asked can she keep the ESB bill in my name. I assumed she wouldn't take the piss.

Well, over one year later in her place (my old flat) I discover she hadn't paid the bill in over one year... The latest bill was about €1,500.

(This was the girl who used to sleep with random homeless guys if anyone has read my previous posts about her!)

Anyway, her ESB supply hadn't been cut off yet.

EDIT: After thinking about this, she also screwed me over on the phone bill and NTL bill. This girl used to be in a relationship for about three years with another boards.ie user who I know. She must have cheated on him at least 300 times in those three years (she used to go out to the street at night by herself and bring home strangers.) She told me she never used condoms as she was "getting revenge" on men. To this day I still contemplate whether I should tell the boards.ie user about this. He thinks she was an innocent thing. :(

EDIT2: I had to get that off my chest. Sorry!!

Have you got her phone number?

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭Fnergg

Just to confirm: neither ESB nor any other supplier requires a Court Order to disconnect supply for non-payment.

Easypay cards have been mentioned as a convenient way of paying towards your ESB bill but an even better way in my view is the new Laser online service from ESB Customer Supply:

https://www.esb.ie/esbcustomersupply/residential/your_account/pay/startPayInit.do

A useful budgeting method is to divide your average bill by 8 (there are 8 weeks in the average bill) and make an online payment of that amount every week. When the bill issues it will have been substatially paid off or even in credit.

Regards,

Fnergg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭pierrot

What about if you don`t pay for 6 months then move out?:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 ditchdigger

Pay something like ten euro off if aren't going to pay it all. You can do this at the post office. Do anything possible not to get cut off. If you get put on one of those card meter yokes you will be paying more for each unit of electricity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Smartiesxxx

Del2005 wrote: »
    Phones can be cut off without warning and even after only missing payment by a few days, happened us when I was young. They used to block outgoing calls for a few days then incoming also. This was back in the day when the goverment owned it, with private owners I'd say they'd disconnect you quicker.

Electricity and water can't be cut off without a court order, everything else can be, doesn't mater who supplies it. Non ESB providers may not be as easy going as ESB with missed payments but they can't just cut you off.

ESB do not require a court order to cut you off, however they are more understanding than most utilitiy companies. Their credit terms indicate that payment is due within 14 days from the issue date of a bill but in the current economic climate I have found them to be one of the more accomodating companies to deal with. Having read their terms and conditions of supply which are available for viewing on esb.ie, they can cut you off once you breach the fourteen day credit terms-that said they tend to allow room for manouerve. I recently found myself in arrears due to sheer neglect and they were kind enough to contact me via a phone call to advise that my bill was overdue. I wasn't in a position to pay on the spot so they agreed to accept payment in a weeks times. Outstanding customer service and I look forward to the day the CER releases the chain and allows them to compete price wise now that the domestic market is properly open. Cheap prices do not compensate for the poor service provided by the likes of Bord Gais.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 600 ✭✭✭Rev. BlueJeans

Spot on, and kudos for actually taking the time to understand the way the market structure has been forced upon some of the energy providers in it.

I deal with all of the energy providers daily, and ESBCS are by far the most accommodating. The others will and have issued disconnection orders on foot of one unpaid bill. Business customers get even less latitude (strange given that they were strategically targeted by the new suppliers initially).

It's worth noting too that there is little difference overall in electricity charges in the medium term, when standing charges ,and the fact that the guarantee runs out in just over six months time are taken into account.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

ESB is like your phone line, your paying a utility company for the service if you don't pay they can cut it off...they don't need any court order to do this.

Its perfectly legal for them to cut off a non-paying customer :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭PANADOL

what happens if you go up on a pole and reconnect yourself one thing is you save 1780 but what are the legal implications?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭Ste.phen

PANADOL wrote: »
    what happens if you go up on a pole and reconnect yourself one thing is you save 1780 but what are the legal implications?
    Well, it's theft for a start, and dangerous, and probably illegal under the heading of tampering with ESB equipment?

Ste.phen wrote: »
    Well, it's theft for a start, and dangerous, and probably illegal under the heading of tampering with ESB equipment?

yes all the above is obivious but from the point of what would actually happen from a legal point of view could you be more specific, ie do you go to prison , fines etc. The esb are looking for 2k from me house is just 30 ft from the esb pole ,how can they charge that much?they disconnected me for a bill of 60 pounds 12 years ago,so i got the house rewired 3 years ago And what makes it worse they wont except stage payments,money up front, not much options here

• Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

If the house has been disconnected all this time, it will be treated as a new connection so its probably going to be a underground cable rather than overhead.

If you did manage to reconnect the service at the pole, you would also have to disconnect the tails at the meter, or it will catch up with you eventually, so that's 2 illegal acts.

I remember hearing you can get 2 years in prison for fiddling the meter but i haven't heard of anyone going to prison for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭Shelflife

i recently opened a new business, we dug the holes , laid the cables, all the esb had to do was hook up both ends .

cost €5200. go figure

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Shelflife wrote: »
    i recently opened a new business, we dug the holes , laid the cables, all the esb had to do was hook up both ends .

cost €5200. go figure

Relevance to topic? :confused: If it was a business connection then load factors involving station cubicles and line transformer uprates were probably involved but you won't see it. Not that I think you want to see it - just rant. :P
    Panadol wrote:
    Fined for theft (and there have been prison sentences) plus you will also have to pay for the charges for electricity that they have estimated you have used that has not been recorded.
    A really stupid and dangerous idea.

Relevance to topic? :confused: If it was a business connection then load factors involving station cubicles and line transformer uprates were probably involved but you won't see it. Not that I think you want to see it - just rant. :P

Relevant to the previous 3 or 4 posts, load factors not an issue as we moved into a new building 10 ft infront of an existing building which was going to be removed from the network.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Relevant to the previous 3 or 4 posts,

Irrelevant, since a business cannot be a consumer, and the experience is not comparable.

Relevant to the previous 3 or 4 posts, load factors not an issue as we moved into a new building 10 ft infront of an existing building which was going to be removed from the network.

Still irrelevant to "How long until the ESB cut your supply off??".
    You had the exact load requirements as a derelict building? The CER sets the Standard Connection Fee so maybe start a thread on Regulation of the Energy Market!

fair enough, but why answer panadols question which was also irrelevant to the ops question?

who said the building was derelict? as it happens it was a functioning business. so it was a transfer one off the network and one on the network.

• Advertisement

jor el wrote: »
    Irrelevant, since a business cannot be a consumer, and the experience is not comparable.

Jor el while i accept its different situations betwwen a business and a private individual i would also say that you are wrong in thinking that a business cant be a consumer.

where the service is not resold or used in manufacturing (ingredients) then i would be deemed to be a consumer of that product.

and while it may not fall under the general theme of the forum (private user) its not a million miles away.

Jor el while i accept its different situations betwwen a business and a private individual i would also say that you are wrong in thinking that a business cant be a consumer.

A business is not a consumer, and never will be. If you are operating as a business, then you are not a consumer, no matter what you do with the products you buy. Costs for businesses are not comparable to consumer costs.

A business is not a consumer, and never will be. If you are operating as a business, then you are not a consumer, no matter what you do with the products you buy. Costs for businesses are not comparable to consumer costs.

how can you say that a business cant be a consumer, while they may not be covered under consumer legislation which is geared towards the private individual to say that a business cant be a consumer is utter tripe.

what exactly do i do with my electricity??? i consume it, therefore im a consumer. im the end user of a service, therefore im a consumer.

A consumer and a business are two different entities, and are always treated as such. The experiences of a business cannot be compared to the experiences of a consumer. That is the difference. A business passes the costs on to a consumer, the end user, the business is not the end user.

A consumer and a business are two different entities, and are always treated as such. The experiences of a business cannot be compared to the experiences of a consumer. That is the difference. A business passes the costs on to a consumer, the end user, the business is not the end user.

A private individual and a business are two different entities, they are both consumers.

granted the experiences are difficult to compare.

even though the costs may be passed on they are still the end user of the service and therefore a consumer.

Shellife is perfectly right. As far as ESB is concerned all business customers are consumers. Indeed they use the term internally rather than "Customers".

Fined for theft (and there have been prison sentences) plus you will also have to pay for the charges for electricity that they have estimated you have used that has not been recorded.
    A really stupid and dangerous idea.

reconnecting is not dangerous nly two wires live and earth ,all ya need couple of cable joiners and pair off gloves , and to make sure ur internal mcb board is switched off . i regard the diy approach as victory for the people, 2k to turn your light on crazy for a company which has a monopolly managed by a man who earns more than obama. only reason its so expensive usually a load of guys standing around watching one guy working big fat semi state protected by unions

PANADOL wrote: »
    reconnecting is not dangerous nly two wires live and earth ,all ya need couple of cable joiners and pair off gloves , and to make sure ur internal mcb board is switched off . i regard the diy approach as victory for the people, 2k to turn your light on crazy for a company which has a monopolly managed by a man who earns more than obama. only reason its so expensive usually a load of guys standing around watching one guy working big fat semi state protected by unions

That has to be the greatest piece of misinformation I've read here in a long time. It most certainly is dangerous. I'm not going into it all here but the records speak for themselves. Despite all this the "diy approach" is illegal. It's plain theft. Some argue that the major supermarkets are ripping off the customers but would you condone shopliffing as a result? As for the "fat semi state" statement it's a bit worn out nowadays when charges are determined by the CER and the supply market is open.
    Anyway, we're way off topic, so I'm out until it's back to "how long before ESB cut your suppy off".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 313 ✭✭LordDorington

foggy_lad wrote: »
    also you do not need an easypay card to pay off in smaller amounts just go into any post office with the bill and they can use that to pay any amount off your bill and staple your receipt to it so you know how much is paid and remaining.

where do esb actually carry out the disconnection/ is it where you read the meter? We ahve an outstanding bill and have paid 300 this weeka nd agreed to ay the same again next weeka nd the bastards are still threatening to disconnect us! Our meter reading thing is around the back with no access - can they disconnect us elsewhere?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 652 ✭✭✭jeckle

where do esb actually carry out the disconnection/ is it where you read the meter? We ahve an outstanding bill and have paid 300 this weeka nd agreed to ay the same again next weeka nd the bastards are still threatening to disconnect us! Our meter reading thing is around the back with no access - can they disconnect us elsewhere?
    If you have made a payment arrangement with them & are sticking to it they won't cut you off. You are probably getting automated letters. If worried you should ring them to confirm this.

Advertisement