Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Battling systems

Options
  • 25-11-2008 8:45pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 524 ✭✭✭

hey folks. does anyone else think the final fantasy series went a bit downhill since the introduction of the live action combat system in ffxii. personally i prefered the combats up to ffx. ffxii is still a brilliant game but still felt like you never get time to enjoy the battles or sit back and puzzle out how to beat a boss!!

Bring back ATB.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

I by far preferred the CTB system in FFX - very tactical, loved it. Way better than the ATB systems that came before it in III - IX. (I presume I and II were ATB).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 524 ✭✭✭Penis Eye

SofaK wrote: »
    I by far preferred the CTB system in FFX - very tactical, loved it. Way better than the ATB systems that came before it in III - IX. (I presume I and II were ATB).

yeah I and II were both ATB. FFX was defo the best. i liked the way you had the character pics up the side and you had to score as many hits as possible before dark magus sisters or wotever get an attack in!

in my opinion the battles were both stressfull and relaxing with the ATB system! might email squaresoft and tell em i want it changed back!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,428 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I think ATB is absolutely dreadful. I much prefer turn based systems in games. FFX's turn based battle system was absolutely brilliant, a work of genius. It's was tactical and made you think about your actions in battle. I liked FFV's system but only because it activelt asked you to abuse the hell out of it in clever ways and even that was improved upon immensley by the turn based Final Fantasy Tactics.

For both of your information ATB was introducted in FFIV and the aTB bars in FFV. FFI-III were turn based but very simplistic.

I thought the combat system of FFXII was absolutely appalling. They tried to make it like an MMO but nobody told them that if you take the social aspect of an MMO away the game underneath is dreadful and repetitive. The story was dreadful and nearly non-existant and instead most of the game was wandering around samey copy and paste built levels watching your characters fight and heal each other with no input from the player. It managed to work quite well for bosses I must admit but in the field it was boring as hell. Why they changed to a western type RPG is beyond me. I buy FF games because I like Japanese RPGs andwestern RPGs like Knights of the Old Republic bore me to tears. Level 9 will be getting my money from now on.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭animaX

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Level 9 will be getting my money from now on.

I take it you mean level 5?! Didn't level 9 create atari games in the 80's? But I agree, level 5 all the way

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,428 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Oops, I stand corrected, I meant Level 9 :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15 dbarcari

The one thing that bugged me about FFXII's B.System was the fact that they moved SO GOD DAMN SLOW.
    If they were going towards ATB, they should've modeled it closer to KH2's system, except maybe put a bit more detail in i.e. model an AP system like they did in BOF5, except have it a bit more flexible.
    It would've been an awesome departure, I think

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,421 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

I would like to see a battle system in ff similar to grandia,never gonna happen though.

I think square enix have absorbed Game Arts considering the Sylpheed and Grandia 3 were Game Arts IP and the last 2 games in both series were released and developed by Square. Pity they kind of made a mess of Grandia 3.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

yeah FFX deffo had the best battle system imo. quite tactical and it flowed nicely.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 764 ✭✭✭xbox36016

ya ff12 was so bad it made me hate ff for a while

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

I did'nt mind the battle system in FF12 although it was chaotic during boss battles.

The ATB is grand but the random battles popping up constantly can get annoying.

I'm not a big fan of FF10 but the battle system was very good.

Advertisement