Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Remapping Normal Cars?

Options
  • 25-11-2008 8:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,044 ✭✭✭

Any advantage or is at a waste of money on a normal car?

I have a 00 lancer 1.3, which is running great, long nct, great tyres, service history etc and I want something with a bit more power, but with the car market the way it is, I think I will keep it.

There is a place in limerick that will remap my car for about €275.

http://www.tunemyecu.com/index.html

Is it worth it or should I sell the car and get a 1.8 alfa or something for 2.5k?

I´d say I could get around 2200 for the lancer?

Its white, 00, 110k miles, nct 04-10, tax 04-09, serviced 3 weeks ago and regular in the past.

What do you think?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭Philush

chipping is great,it does up the power on your car etc etc and in fact works best on diesel cars. but tbh if your cars only a 1.3(dont mean to sound offensive or condescending: chippings betterr on bigger engines) and its running fine i wouldnt bother,and as you said car markets in a state so you nearly better off keeping what ya have if its running as good as you say,keep the money you'd spend chipping it in your pocket, and come january if you still want a new car go grab yourself a bargain, reposessions etc are gonna go through the roof after christmas so it'll be good time to grab yourself a bargain

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,719 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Chipping or remapping only has any real gains on turbo charged cars.

p.s. The used car market is in an awful state. €2200 for a Lancer nearly 9 years old might be impossible.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,044 ✭✭✭Sqaull20

Chipping or remapping only has any real gains on turbo charged cars.

p.s. The used car market is in an awful state. €2200 for a Lancer nearly 9 years old might be impossible.

Yeah that could be difficult.

So remapping/chipping (same thing?) is perfectly safe and wouldnt cause damage to the engine in the long term?

I will try to sell the lancer for as much as I can and have about 5k max to spend.

Im thinking 1.9 Renault Laguna which are going for nothing, Focus 1.6 110bhp model or 306.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,590 ✭✭✭tossy

Philush wrote: »
    works best on diesel cars. but tbh if your cars only a 1.3(dont mean to sound offensive or condescending: chippings betterr on bigger engines)

Common misconception that,chipping works best on turbo/supercharged cars,doesn't matter if its diesel or petrol,the reason for this is boost is a big adjustable,but remapping isn't just a matter of turning the boost up to full whack,its a fine art.

Also remapping doesn't work better on bigger engines but obviously the overall gain is a percentage of the current output so it will seem to give higher yields.

Pretty much all engines can be remapped but it comes down to bang for buck,and the gains on a small NA engine (i'm guessing 5-10hp) wouldn't be worth the 400 euro (approx) payout.generally the gains on any NA engine aren't worth it,i have a NA engine with a fairly hefty displacement and a remap will only give me 15bhp so not worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭draycottgirlz

try chippedireland.ie but wait think you change to something bigger

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,367 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Dont dream of it. You might gain 5bhp. A set of plugs might give ya that

• Registered Users Posts: 667 ✭✭✭Altreab

try chippedireland.ie but wait think you change to something bigger

the correct link is http://www.chippedire.com
    Has anyone here used them? Happy with the results?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,590 ✭✭✭tossy

I used thm on my last car and know countless others who have too,particularly with TDI vag engnies and the new 2.0 TFSI vag engnie.

Advertisement