Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Permanet Broadband - Your views sought

Options
  • 25-11-2008 8:53pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

Am thinking of subscribing to Permanet in Wexford. Wonder if any of you have experience of this and what you think of the service. Does it live up to what is offered? How far are you from the transmitter? Which bundle are you using and what speeds are you getting? Do speeds vary between day and night? Have you ever been penalised for using too much? Any other things I should know about, any problems and if so how have these been dealt with? :confused:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭barnicles

I don't have permanet.
    I've used it before tho and it seems a good service.
    It appears tho that all customers come from the one IP and this means that If one permanet customer gets banned, the whole network gets banned,

Also your IP is registered to the UK. Btw. All this IP stuff is for non static IP users only.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Wexford gal

Thanks for response. Sorry but I don't understand IP and 'static' IP. Can you explain please for me?

Your IP is like your online identifier. It is used to track you down. When all the users of one ISP are on the one IP things start to go pear shaped sometimes. Its like having everyone in the one town having the same phone number.

A static IP never changes.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Wexford gal

Ta! That was probably what techie guy meant when he said there was a limit of 24 to each. And if everyone on at same time would depend on fair usage. But not that likely to affect speed according to him.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭smellslikeshoes

Ta! That was probably what techie guy meant when he said there was a limit of 24 to each. And if everyone on at same time would depend on fair usage. But not that likely to affect speed according to him.

Thats the contention ratio he was talking about. There is a certain amount of speed available which is shared between many users, in this case its 24 users I'm guessing. It basically just means its possible that you're speeds could slow down in peak times because of many other people using it, but like he said it shouldn't really effect you that much and its generally just to cover themselves and is the way all broadband works.

Advertisement