Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Student Number = CAO Number?

Options
  • 25-11-2008 9:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 993 ✭✭✭

Can any one remember if my old student number = my CAO number?

I'm a mature student and need to fill out some grant paper work and its asking me for my Cao number and its been a while ;)

Do I just drop the 'C'?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,683 ✭✭✭Kensington

Think your student number is:
    Cxxyyyyyy - where xx is the year you started college and yyyyyy, or the last 6 digits, is your CAO number.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭BC

Your student number is C + your CAO number

So if your CAO number is 98123456 then your student number is C98124356

• Registered Users Posts: 993 ✭✭✭ditpaintball

Thank you

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭BaRcOe

BC wrote: »

Wow I never knew that!
    ;):eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

BC wrote: »

Yep - the frst two digits after C will reference the year though. My student number changed cos i reapplied, last year was C07XXXXXX, this year it's C08XXXXXX.

• Advertisement

sdonn_1 wrote: »
    Yep - the frst two digits after C will reference the year though. My student number changed cos i reapplied, last year was C07XXXXXX, this year it's C08XXXXXX.

How do you re-apply? Im thinkn of doing so. Did u just work for the year/?

BaRcOe wrote: »
    How do you re-apply? Im thinkn of doing so. Did u just work for the year/?

Yup, was doing DT315 and just hated it from the off. Stopped bothering with it in mid-october and made it official in mid-December. Just worked till September.

Re-applying is the same thing over again, just redo the CAO. By 1st Febuary as with your first time round.

Two pieces of advice:

Make sure you know what you're doing. I left because I was certain I was going back to college even if it was Basket Weaving. You do NOT want to be left without a qualification in this climate unless you know a lot of wealthy people.

If you're coming out of a course, remember that fees and grants may both be affected next year.
    For me, I only paid capitation this year but I may end up paying full or half fees as well. Leave after Xmas/January and I'm told you pay full fees next year.

Don't dump a college degree for quick cash. You will deeply regret it later.

Yup, was doing DT315 and just hated it from the off. Stopped bothering with it in mid-october and made it official in mid-December. Just worked till September.

Re-applying is the same thing over again, just redo the CAO. By 1st Febuary as with your first time round.

Two pieces of advice:

Make sure you know what you're doing. I left because I was certain I was going back to college even if it was Basket Weaving. You do NOT want to be left without a qualification in this climate unless you know a lot of wealthy people.

If you're coming out of a course, remember that fees and grants may both be affected next year.
    For me, I only paid capitation this year but I may end up paying full or half fees as well. Leave after Xmas/January and I'm told you pay full fees next year.

Don't dump a college degree for quick cash. You will deeply regret it later.

Ye I understand. My situation is basically that I only got offered my No.1 choice in October after I got 2 subjects re-checked. I came into computer science late and Its a pretty fast paced course so I would like to start it next year from the start and get all the basics this time.
    Maybe find some sort of job in the meantime. Nothing is official yet, Im gna c a counselor in aungier street and see what advise I get from people.

BaRcOe wrote: »
    Ye I understand. My situation is basically that I only got offered my No.1 choice in October after I got 2 subjects re-checked. I came into computer science late and Its a pretty fast paced course so I would like to start it next year from the start and get all the basics this time.
    Maybe find some sort of job in the meantime. Nothing is official yet, Im gna c a counselor in aungier street and see what advise I get from people.

Ahh OK. If you think you can catch up just stick at it, if not and you're happy being a year older than the rest next year go ahead and make some cash if you can.

Be aware though, work is getting very thin on the ground. Might be better to stick it out or you could be quite poor come next September :D

Ahh OK. If you think you can catch up just stick at it, if not and you're happy being a year older than the rest next year go ahead and make some cash if you can.

Be aware though, work is getting very thin on the ground. Might be better to stick it out or you could be quite poor come next September :D

Yup thats true. I dont like catch up work, its not nice and theres a lot to do so as I said before I would prefer to get some work, not just for the money but for that little bit of extra work experince, whatever it may be.;)
    If needs be, I dread having to go through the CAO again, especially after last year!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭Peadar06

I had to repeat last year, and now I am finding it very difficult to understand the course in 2nd Year, my advice is to stick with 1st Year.

Peter

Peadar06 wrote: »
    I had to repeat last year, and now I am finding it very difficult to understand the course in 2nd Year, my advice is to stick with 1st Year.

Peter

So you repeated and are finding 2nd year hard because of that?
    You would have re-covered the basics repeating so how are you finding 2nd year harder? If anything, it should be easier?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭miss no stars

From my experience, first year is easy. Second year is a whole different ball game. *overloaded* :(

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,015 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

From my experience, first year is easy. Second year is a whole different ball game. *overloaded* :(
    So true lol, tis a killer

Nick

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 needtokno

Hey guys, sorry for bringing up this old thread but my query is very relevant.

Basically my situation is that I did a year in a course in 07/08, stuck the year out until I fully realised it wasn't for me, but by the time I went back in to ask about my options I couldn't get in a course I'd like. Probably a good thing, as I didn't want to rush anything, so I took the year to work(what a time I picked!), and consider my options.

Now, I haven't applied to the CAO yet for this year, but I want to go back into college(I'll be going back to DIT), and go through a few things with someone in the college. Now the problem here is that I'm out of the country and will be until the middle of February, well after the deadline for applications. I just want to know what, if any differences there are between that late application and applying now, like will it affect the competition for places(working against me) or anything like that? I've fairly good points but maybe that won't matter either way if I apply late, as I could be bottom of the pile already?

Now, as far as I'm aware I can apply late, but basically I was just wondering was there any catch with this and will it come back to haunt me later on down the line? I know there'll be a late fee but I don't mind in the slightest paying €50/100 if it means I have peace of mind over what I'm doing by talking to someone face-to-face in the college, which obviously I can't do til next month.

Another thing is, I was reading through the CAO handbook online and it says in my case(having been in third-level before), I'll have to supply attendance records and other such things, any of you who have been in a similar situation to myself, can you elaborate on what this is exactly? I'd imagine I'd have to go into the college and enquire, which brings me back to my oringinal problem regarding the closing date for the CAO. Now, I know I could apply online now and edit it later but basically I don't want to mess anything up with regard to these attendance records etc. I apparently have to show.

Maybe I'm worrying about nothing but any help would be greatly appreciated, anything to clear my mind!
    Thanks alot.

Hey,

To address things individually -
    needtokno wrote: »
    Now, as far as I'm aware I can apply late, but basically I was just wondering was there any catch with this and will it come back to haunt me later on down the line? I know there'll be a late fee but I don't mind in the slightest paying €50/100 if it means I have peace of mind over what I'm doing by talking to someone face-to-face in the college, which obviously I can't do til next month.

You can apply and put down whatever course choice you like before 1st February - you can change the top ten for either level at any time and avoid paying any extra fees at all. The charge is only there to wean out lazy people and get everyone into the database as early as possible. In fact I put down the course code I took in 2007 on my 2008 application because it was the only thing I could think of at the time, and I was in a rush :rolleyes:
    Another thing is, I was reading through the CAO handbook online and it says in my case(having been in third-level before), I'll have to supply attendance records and other such things, any of you who have been in a similar situation to myself, can you elaborate on what this is exactly? I'd imagine I'd have to go into the college and enquire, which brings me back to my oringinal problem regarding the closing date for the CAO. Now, I know I could apply online now and edit it later but basically I don't want to mess anything up with regard to these attendance records etc. I apparently have to show.

I did the same thing last year, as I said above, and was never asked for any records other than filling in the name of the course and the date I dropped otu on a "fee assessment form". I dropped out of my first course just before christmas though, rather than completing the year.

By rights I should have to pay something extra (I heard €1500?) because of this, but I've never been asked for anything more than the capitation fee. Whether by finishing the entire year you've made yourself liable for an extra charge (I was led to believe that if you drop out by 1st Jan, you pay half fees next year, otherwise full fees or something along those liens) I can't say - but in my experience to date I haven't had to pay what I was told I might.

:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭miss no stars

By rights I should have to pay something extra (I heard €1500?) because of this, but I've never been asked for anything more than the capitation fee. Whether by finishing the entire year you've made yourself liable for an extra charge (I was led to believe that if you drop out by 1st Jan, you pay half fees next year, otherwise full fees or something along those liens) I can't say - but in my experience to date I haven't had to pay what I was told I might.

:)

Don't worry! You'll be made pay!!! I was in your situation last year and they sent an invoice out around this time of year saying they'd withhold exam results if the fees were unpaid.

needtokno - there shouldn't be a problem.just apply with SOMETHING and change it whenever before the final date. you can apply online so don't worry about being out of the country just get an application in.

Hey guys thanks for the replies. As you did the same sdonn 1, it seems the extra information they were asking for isn't too much, so I shouldn't have any problems applying. I was just a bit cautious as it said something like, if you don't give the full information you may not get the place in the end, it seems maybe that's not true. Sure I'll just apply anyway and go into the college next month or whenever to talk over a few things with the guidance counsellor in there and see if everythings grand with the application, I've heard they're very helpful, I hope they are anyway!

Thanks alot again guys.

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭maninblack

The C is for CAO.

Other student no.'s will start with D for Direct Entry

Hey guys, just one more question. Was just filling out the CAO there and in the section for giving exam details, it asks for the year of my leaving cert and exam number. Now I'm just wondering, that's hardly the CAO no. they're asking is it? I'm sure its not, but it's so long since my leaving that how am I supposed to remember the exam no? Guess I'll just have to look through old books for it if that's the case but I thought all I'd have to do is give my CAO no.

• Advertisement

Hey guys, just one more question. Was just filling out the CAO there and in the section for giving exam details, it asks for the year of my leaving cert and exam number. Now I'm just wondering, that's hardly the CAO no. they're asking is it? I'm sure its not, but it's so long since my leaving that how am I supposed to remember the exam no? Guess I'll just have to look through old books for it if that's the case but I thought all I'd have to do is give my CAO no.

Correct, it's the six-digit number you wrote on the front of each of your exam answer books that they're after.

Oh that's grand then, got my mother to look through some old books last night and luckily enough she found it! Thought I was in a bit of trouble there! Didn't remember I'd need that number at all, very lucky I even had a record of it! Thought I'd just need the old CAO no. but it's grand now thanks!

So I applied and all that, but got an e-mail yesterday telling me to post on all relevant documents and records I may have to regarding being in college before, within 7 days. Anyone who has reapplied before, any need to do this? I gave a description of my previous course and how I dropped out in the space provided in the application, and I don't exactly have a record of when I dropped out? :confused: Not gonna be able to do this for a couple of weeks regardless but was just wondering was this neccesary.

^^^^^

Any thoughts on this? Is it a neccessity at all? I know a few who've been in a similar situation an don't think they sent anything on, but I just don't want to be caught out later on down the line.

Thanks again, and sorry for sounding like a broken record!!:p

Advertisement