Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boards.ie - The Song.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

Dord wrote: »
    Rent a big hall somewhere and then get as many boardsies as possible there to record the chorus. :cool: :cool:
    Enlist one of the colleges who offer music, get the hall and probably most of the recording gear etc. free of charge if you give the college a bit of positive PR out of it ...

And given the number of students on boards.ie, any college you pick will have members, and likely enough ones doing music ...
    orestes wrote: »
    Would it be very wrong for us to do Rick Astley?! :D
    Well, we have our very own boards.ie Spitting Image version of Rick to front it! :D

(He can't sing though ...!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,972 ✭✭✭orestes

Enlist one of the colleges who offer music, get the hall and probably most of the recording gear etc. free of charge if you give the college a bit of positive PR out of it ...

And given the number of students on boards.ie, any college you pick will have members, and likely enough ones doing music ...

That's a bloody great idea! Would a college really go for it though?
    Well, we have our very own boards.ie Spitting Image version of Rick to front it! :D

(He can't sing though ...!)

Whozzat then? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,375 ✭✭✭fonpokno

Well we have at least 3 DIT music students that i know of on boards! Although DIT aren't known for their organisational skills.

Can we please do this? Please please please? It would be so very amazing.

I can sing! and play piano!

Pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeaaasssse??

That's a bloody great idea! Would a college really go for it though?
    Well, I couldn't guarantee it, but I'd be 90% confident, tbh.

Enlist some boardsies from that college, preferably from the Music Soc (which there would certainly be one in the bigger colleges offering music). Get the society involved as a partner, get them to mediate with department, bring one or two faculty on board (you could easily turn up a boardsie fac. member, for that matter!). Gets around a lot of issues like insurance, security, etc. as to all intents and purposes it's an internal event.

Offer a nice photo with Prof. / Pres. / senior bod which they can use for PR, give them a mention in your own blurb etc., and you would be likely to smooth the way even more.

I would be genuinely surprised if you didn't have at least one willing college, maybe more ...
    fonpokno wrote: »
    Well we have at least 3 DIT music students that i know of on boards! Although DIT aren't known for their organisational skills.
    PLeaaaase don't shoot me, and I honestly have had little or no interaction with DIT, but in my experience Unis tend to be more open to students organising mad events, especially when outsiders are involved as well.

That may just be my experience though ...
    Whozzat then? :confused:
    Challengemaster ... walks into LANs and they automatically blast "Never gonna ... " at him! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,375 ✭✭✭fonpokno

PLeaaaase don't shoot me, and I honestly have had little or no interaction with DIT, but in my experience Unis tend to be more open to students organising mad events, especially when outsiders are involved as well.

Ahahaha no trust me I know, DIT are useless and the Conservatory of Music is snobby as bejeezus! For some reason i reckon UCD might be the best bet!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,972 ✭✭✭orestes

Can we please do this? Please please please? It would be so very amazing.

I can sing! and play piano!

Pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeaaasssse??

Oh we're doing this, I guarantee it :D
    Well, I couldn't guarantee it, but I'd be 90% confident, tbh.

Enlist some boardsies from that college, preferably from the Music Soc (which there would certainly be one in the bigger colleges offering music). Get the society involved as a partner, get them to mediate with department, bring one or two faculty on board (you could easily turn up a boardsie fac. member, for that matter!). Gets around a lot of issues like insurance, security, etc. as to all intents and purposes it's an internal event.

Offer a nice photo with Prof. / Pres. / senior bod which they can use for PR, give them a mention in your own blurb etc., and you would be likely to smooth the way even more.

I would be genuinely surprised if you didn't have at least one willing college, maybe more ...

Sounds promising, good stuff dude!

When you aren't making cock-jokes you make a lot of sense! :D
    Ahahaha no trust me I know, DIT are useless and the Conservatory of Music is snobby as bejeezus! For some reason i reckon UCD might be the best bet!

Trinity could be worth a shot too imo

When you aren't making cock-jokes you make a lot of sense! :D
    I know, that's why I make so many ... I've discovered years ago that the world can only cope with a certain amount of sense, and that the balance must be maintained!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,919 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

SDooM wrote: »
    LOL.

I just so happen to have a lesbian seagull based song already written, by huge coincidence!

Lads this be the song. It just screams boards.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 8,011 ✭✭✭cHaTbOx

Tosses hat in

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,504 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

I support this Product and or Service

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭One Cold Hand

An adaption of We Didn't Start the Fire, ftw.

Literally every boardsie could be listed in the verses.
    And the chorus could be good too:
    'We didn't start the flaming' (or trolling, or whatever)

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

Didn't someone on here write a song about Christy Brown before? We could do that one. It was quite good.

I assume there will be cowbell.

We need more cowbell.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

An adaption of We Didn't Start the Fire, ftw.

Literally every boardsie could be listed in the verses.
    And the chorus could be good too:
    'We didn't start the flaming' (or trolling, or whatever)

Great idea. Would we get away with it under copyright law thingies as a parody? Or is that just the states?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

This is the winner, get rehearsing.

Oh we might need some well endowed wimmin to front the band, anime style. ;)

Credit to Stevec for finding the clip.

If anything I would prefer it to be an original song, just because there's such an incredible source of talent here, it would be a shame for it to be wasted on doing covers.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,247 ✭✭✭✭6th

I'm in and I'm pretty sure we could do something along the lines of this:

Great idea. Would we get away with it under copyright law thingies as a parody? Or is that just the states?

No. I've already copyrighted the idea, and if ye use if I get 50% of the profits!

Mmwahahaha!

Seriously, I've no idea. People rip off songs the whole time (ex. Weird Al), but I don't know if they pay royalties or whatever.

• Advertisement

No. I've already copyrighted the idea, and if ye use if I get 50% of the profits!

Mmwahahaha!

Seriously, I've no idea. People rip off songs the whole time (ex. Weird Al), but I don't know if they pay royalties or whatever.

I think they would have to pay some amount of royalties to whoever did the song first.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,819 ✭✭✭✭g'em

This has major Epic potential.

I can't sing & I can't play an instrument but I'm more than happy to help out with the organisation and whatnot. And of course the lifting of heavy stuff if required.

I think they would have to pay some amount of royalties to whoever did the song first.

Maybe they'd let us away with it if it's for Charitayyy.

But thinking again I actaully do like the idea of writing an original song. Only if it was good of course!

If anything I would prefer it to be an original song, just because there's such an incredible source of talent here, it would be a shame for it to be wasted on doing covers.

Yeah, there's alot of talent on boards, it'd be great to do something thats truly unique. I can see the kharn/ karl hungus duelling guitar solo from here.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

Hagar wrote: »
    Oh we might need some well endowed wimmin to front the band, anime style. ;)
    LOL, The selection process could be interesting..;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,817 ✭✭✭✭Dord

Maybe they'd let us away with it if it's for Charitayyy.

But thinking again I actaully do like the idea of writing an original song. Only if it was good of course!

They wouldn't, business is business.

A much better idea would be to write a song. It would have to be something that would appeal to people outside boards as it would need to sell to raise funds for SSF. It could have a few "insider" jokes obviously! :D

To keep the budget down I think we could find someone for almost everything to help out on boards. A release this time next year would be perfect. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,817 ✭✭✭✭Dord

Yeah, there's alot of talent on boards, it'd be great to do something thats truly unique. I can see the kharn/ karl hungus duelling guitar solo from here.

Nah, do some big epic guitar solo with like 10 guitarists or something. :cool:

Dord wrote: »
    Nah, do some big epic guitar solo with like 10 guitarists or something. :cool:

Idea.

We could use some old classical piece of music out of copyright. That way all the guitarists would know what to practice, then we could join up different riffs from their different versions. Also a few different people could work on some of their own lyrics and vocal hooks, and we could come up with some great gelatinous amorphous super song.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,714 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

janeybabe wrote: »
    Didn't someone on here write a song about Christy Brown before? We could do that one. It was quite good.

Aw, cheers! That was me but the song might be a little too politically incorrect (that's right, I said it) to represent boards.

I could write a new song though and am happy to participate in any way I can.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,316 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Master

Maybe we could have a thread/forum where people could post up a song they think we could do and get people to collaborate with them on the music/lyrics.
    Then when there a few songs finished we could have a vote on what song to record and all the musicians involved could learn it before the recording date.

Oh and I play guitar,bass,vocals,keyboards,harmonica,mandolin if needed for the record

Advertisement