Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boards.ie - The Song.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,817 ✭✭✭✭Dord

SDooM wrote: »
    Idea.

We could use some old classical piece of music out of copyright. That way all the guitarists would know what to practice, then we could join up different riffs from their different versions. Also a few different people could work on some of their own lyrics and vocal hooks, and we could come up with some great gelatinous amorphous super song.

It'd probably end up sounding like a dogs dinner though. :P
    But I get what you're saying, use the melody from an old song. The Horslips did that a lot, used really old Irish jigs as the basis for their songs.

The Master wrote: »
    Maybe we could have a thread/forum where people could post up a song they think we could do and get people to collaborate with them on the music/lyrics.
    Then when there a few songs finished we could have a vote on what song to record and all the musicians involved could learn it before the recording date.

Oh and I play guitar,bass,vocals,keyboards,harmonica,mandolin if needed for the record

Maybe a sub-forum off SSF? I guess it's up to the admins tho... :)

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

Dord wrote: »
    It'd probably end up sounding like a dogs dinner though. :P
    But I get what you're saying, use the melody from an old song. The Horslips did that a lot, used really old Irish jigs as the basis for their songs.

Obviously we'd have to unify them into some kind of coherent sound. :)

and you've got me exactly right, but we'd need to pick some song which we are 100% sure is out of copyright.

Earthhorse wrote: »
    Aw, cheers! That was me but the song might be a little too politically incorrect (that's right, I said it) to represent boards.

I could write a new song though and am happy to participate in any way I can.

I actually had you in mind when I was thinking up this project.

There could be a rap too, along the lines of the Christy Brown rap. Ha.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,790 ✭✭✭PaulBrewer

Count me in!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

Do it, but for the love of God and for the well-being of the site, do not mention AH.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,714 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

I actually had you in mind when I was thinking up this project.

There could be a rap too, along the lines of the Christy Brown rap. Ha.

Aw cheers, I think. My one wasn't a rap buh.

My friends got me an eight track for my 30th. I've yet to mike it but when I do I'll have a play around and see what I can come up with.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

My friends got me an eight track for my 30th. I've yet to mike it but when I do I'll have a play around and see what I can come up with.

8 track!!! So old school!

I know, but it was in the same thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,714 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

SDooM wrote: »
    8 track!!! So old school!

I only have one string on my guitar too. And it's only attached at one end.
    I know, but it was in the same thread.

Ah, cool. Just wasn't sure there for a sec.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,866 ✭✭✭Adam

this will be win, and i'm in. play guitar and bass, and generally have a very good knowledge of all things music and the recording and production process. i also would suggest that boneyarsebogman has a right-hand (wo)man who is also a musician, if he's taking the charge in organising this.

great idea dude :D

also, dibs on being the first to illegally download it! :P

• Registered Users Posts: 6,424 ✭✭✭440Hz

Nice idea! Id certainly help out on the singing and recording side of things.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

We're sending our love down the well?

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

I think this would be amazing...

Another idea might be to showcase decent Irish talent and release an album of songs created through collaboration of artists here. I'm pretty sure if the photography forum can pull together a book, we could make an album (not for this year but for next year for sure!).

DeV.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

DeVore wrote: »

Another idea might be to showcase decent Irish talent and release an album of songs created through collaboration of artists here. I'm pretty sure if the photography forum can pull together a book, we could make an album (not for this year but for next year for sure!).

DeV.

Talent? Does this mean that myself and Boneyarsebogman can't play the triangle?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

Would it not be better to do the worst drunken sing along possible? No matter how **** the song is if it caught on here it'd get to number 1 and I like the idea of a little kid recording the Irish top 40 on her tape recorder only to be bamboozled by a bunch of loats shouting into her oversized tape recorder

What? you want talent?

Jeez, that's this thing out the window then! :p;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

DeVore wrote: »

DeV.
    Now Thats What I Call Boardsie?

Now Thats What I Call Boardsie?

Now Ye're Singing.

Hm. Possible name for album cover?

Boards.ie

Now Ye're Singing

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

• Registered Users Posts: 38 red_hot_nirvana

This is a super idea! I think that everyone should send some sample tracks around and pick what works!
    But SUPER IDEA!!! GO for it!

Oooh oooh oooh I has idea.

We could get people to submit songs. And then we could vote on it. Like the eurovision, only slightly more camp!

And we could have a thread to mock it, like the real eurovision!

No? Ok.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,632 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Someone wrote a song about Tallaght01's Christy Brown moment and put it up on youtube. Cant find the thread, but it was class!

original songs ftw, fcuk doing covers!

faceman wrote: »
    Someone wrote a song about Tallaght01's Christy Brown moment and put it up on youtube. Cant find the thread, but it was class!

original songs ftw, fcuk doing covers!

Yeah I said that earlier but he said it wasn't suitable really. I thought it could be good!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,632 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

janeybabe wrote: »
    Yeah I said that earlier but he said it wasn't suitable really. I thought it could be good!

oops, duh @ me! :o

faceman wrote: »
    oops, duh @ me! :o

Yeah but if two of us combine we can use peer pressure to make him hand the song over!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,097 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

i'll buy this, even when it turns out crap :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

Terry wrote: »
    Do it, but for the love of God and for the well-being of the site, do not mention AH.
    Hmm ... what rhymes with Terry? :pac:
    janeybabe wrote: »
    We could get people to submit songs. And then we could vote on it. Like the eurovision, only slightly more camp!
    Wait ... how is it possible to be more camp than Eurovision?! :confused:

I have a sense of a rolling stone gathering momentum.

Iz good!! :)

Advertisement