Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

agoraphobia

• 25-11-2008 10:14pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 230 ✭✭

hi guys

its dara95

i suffer from really bag agoraphobia!
    does anyone else duffer from this??
    i would be interested to hear your stories!!

i do not get agoraphobic nose bleeds but i get severe head aches!

if u have agorophobia please tell me your symptoms!!!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,122 ✭✭✭LadyJ

I used to have this in some shape or form. There was a trigger for mine though. I didn't always have it and I don't have it now. I went through a spell of having really bad panic attacks when I was in public places. I felt overly self-conscious and eventually got so panicked that I'd have to go home.

After seeing a therapist and discussing this and other phobias whith him, I started to get a picture of why I was feeling so panicked and I eventually I started to feel a lot better.

Like any phobia, it is important to uncover what triggered it and discuss your feelings about it. The more you understand, the more you'll learn how to deal with it and hopefully get rid of it altogether.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 230 ✭✭dara95

thank you lady jane!

i am too young to see the therapist!!

what do you recommend??

No one is too young to see a therapist. Do you mean you're under 18 or something? You can still go to one you know. And believe me, it is the best way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,487 ✭✭✭banquo

I got agorophobia. Pretty bad too.

S'up LadyJ! Long time no talkie. You a mod here? You're and excellent choice :)

But yeah, I know how you feel. I've lost jobs over it, no joke. Get to the front door in the morning, hesitate, then go back into the kitchen and sit down. It sucks ass and I haven't been able to find any help for it.

Take last Saturday. I only work one day a week in a school of music, teaching kids theory. A week's salary for just one day and I still couldn't go. Was up on time, washed, dressed and then sat on my bed for most of the day. As I speak, the guy who runs the school is trying to phone me, but my phone is on silent and I'm not answering it. Just can't. It's an anxiety thing.

You get real good at lying to peoples' faces as to why you were late or didn't turn up at all. You spend a fortune on sick notes. You have a reputation as 'that totally unreliable guy'

I've never found an agoraphobic who got help from counseling either. All the agoraphobic forums are seem to be full of users comparing anxiety drugs and their doses. ''Oh, you're on 500mg of such and such, that's interesting''. I don't want to be one of those drugged-up losers. Not cool.

What I *have* been able to do is work mostly from home. Wonderful thing, the internet.

How old are you, Dara95?

banquo wrote: »
    I got agorophobia. Pretty bad too.

Well..... This explains a lot.....
    You a mod here? You're and excellent choice :)

Ha, I'm taking this to mean I'm the biggest bag of nerves you know!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,487 ✭✭✭banquo

Ha! Actually I meant because you've always taken an interest in this line of things.

And yes, I knew I would explain a lot :D

Advertisement