Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Richmond Asylum, GrangeGorman, Co Dublin, 22/11/2008

• 25-11-2008 10:20pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 10

Has anybody here explored Richmond Asylum????

Explored it on Saturday it was amazing, such a shame its gone to waste.

The location was used to film Michael Collins.

asylum.jpg

www.barelythereireland.com/forum/index.php

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,642 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

The whole area is currently being developed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 IrelandsEye2009

Mellor wrote: »
    The whole area is currently being developed

Well the Ground is empty at the Moment nothing is going on, im sure it will be demolished within the next 2 years. infact St Brendans Hospital beside it is currently empy and is used for administration.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,642 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Alot of buildings are used for admin, including the laundry building, they are seriously deglected due to the lack of funds, but all are protected structures.
    And when DIT move out there, along with new HSE buildings, there will be conditions that thse will have to be looked after (unless they are in very bad nick, and a danger)

Mellor wrote: »
    Alot of buildings are used for admin, including the laundry building, they are seriously deglected due to the lack of funds, but all are protected structures.
    And when DIT move out there, along with new HSE buildings, there will be conditions that thse will have to be looked after (unless they are in very bad nick, and a danger)

Very True, altho i cannot see DIT moving in there, HSE Possibly but they will need to demolished the houses on the street beside it too, to make some space because the grounds to which the asylum is built is very small and is surrounded by the Bus Depot and Residential Areas.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭AnCatDubh

I appreciate the legalities of land rights etc.. and everyone should stay within the law but I think that many of these types of neglected buildings should be preserved at least through the medium of photography should the physical structure need to be removed. They can make for extremely powerful photographic sets. Another one that was posted here recently (from Cork I think) was really something to view.

• Advertisement

AnCatDubh wrote: »
    I appreciate the legalities of land rights etc.. and everyone should stay within the law but I think that many of these types of neglected buildings should be preserved at least through the medium of photography should the physical structure need to be removed. They can make for extremely powerful photographic sets. Another one that was posted here recently (from Cork I think) was really something to view.

Well its the same problem with Bolands Flour Mill and Dun laoighre Baths, both Beautiful Buildings and people want them destroyed. such a shame. and the asylum being almost 150 years old should be a historical site too!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 marielouise

Hi BArely There
    Just wondering how you were able to gain access to that old part is it open? I was there recently and couldn't find that part

Advertisement