Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recession Galway

Options
  • 25-11-2008 10:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭

Just wondering has anyone really noticed the recession in Galway?
    Shop street is always busy, pubs and clubs are packed (weekends anyways) and I don't know many people that have lost their job (besides the over-extravagant builder!)
    I initially thought as a personal trainer that my job would be affected but it seems it has not with business still good. Sure one or two of my clients has the odd complaint but nothing they can't put their head down and work thru.
    So my question, is it all a bit hyped for the average person?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

The way the banks are behaving, they will make sure that anybody not experiencing the recession yet will do so very soon.:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

Well, a recession isn't exactly an instant thing, it's not as if the shops and pubs were going to be deserted overnight, it's something that'll take a long time to feel the effects of.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

Haven't noticed this 'resession' in Galway at all tbh. I was asking myself this very question only a few weeks ago when I was in various pub's/clubs over weekends and couldn't move it was so busy! Resession my hole

Personally hasn't affected me tbh. (Either work wise or living wise) - Then again, my simple ethos is I never buy luxury items on credit and have to date never had a loan from a bank (Obviously when it comes mortgage time etc. things will change) so no sweat pumping from me atm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,199 ✭✭✭Shryke

I've noticed it. It hasn't affected my earnings though. This time of year is pretty good for money where I am but when new year rolls round who knows.

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭extraice

fuel price are the hightest in Ireland and drink hotels rip off , your all rich there in Galway , recession pub packed shop tills ring at the weekend i was there ,

God i love to have money that the west has . :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

I saw a load of it outside Tuam and some washed up on silver strand last week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,066 ✭✭✭Sea Devils

TBH haven't noticed it at all

• Closed Accounts Posts: 174 ✭✭futura123

shop street is busy but are people spending?? i think from the new year we will see the effects of recession on our spending habits. compared to this time last year ive tightened the purse strings and lookin where savings can be made.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

We'll probably see more of the effects by next march when credit card payments for the Xmas period start to go into arrears.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 25,957 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Just to buck the trend, I have.

The multi-national I was working for didn't renew contracts for a number of fixed-term people (including me) at the end of their financial year (31 October). While officially it's because there was no budget for the specific projects, the economic issues in the US had a lot to do with this.

There are very few actual job vacancies. Some temporary McJobs/Chirstmas fillins etc yes (though my perception is fewer than last year), but very very few "career" type jobs. Many of the larger IT-ish companies have hiring-freezes on, at least officially. Some that are doing a little hiring despite the freezes, but nothing like as usual. (Yes, the recruitment sites are full of listings, but these aren't "live", they're just to get CVs in, just in case.)

Cafes where I was buying coffee and pubs where I was drinking may not have specifically noticed that I'm either not going at all, or only having one of the cheapest drink they have. I'm sure that the restaurants where I was taking my partner for a nice meal every payday haven't missed me specifically, 'cos we went somewhere different every month. But I'm sure I'm not the only one who's made cuts like this, and put together they must hurt.

The pubs may be busy when most boards.ie folks are there, but they're a lot quieter during the day and early evening. This is confirmed by figures (eg number of kegs arriving) I've heard from friends who work in a couple of pubs.

The free concerts that were popping up in St Nicholas's church last year (mainly touring American college groups) aren't happening.

There are a lot more Irish people shopping in Lidl and Aldi than there were 12 months ago.

The friars from the Augustinian church live opposite the dole office. Their newsletter last weekend commented that the size of the queue is visibly growing week by week (and that's with new claims having to "sign-on" weekly at local post offices instead of the welfare office).

A friend who's working in a multi-national said that their big-boss has given very dire warnings that things will be a lot, lot worse next year, when the effects of the overall slow-down have impacted new projects (that would be buying gear next year, for example). The word was "you may think it's bad now, but you ain't seen nothing yet".

A few weeks ago, a driving instructor picked me up from the city centre at 7am. He commented that two years ago, the streets were buzzing at that time of day with builders picking up their labourers from all over the place. Almost none of that now.

... enough already! IMHO very important that we don't talk things down too much ... the modern economy is based mainly on confidence!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

anyone who hasn't noticed anything yet must have a serious vision impairment. if you're a driver, you'd best head down to the local optician and get them tested.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 174 ✭✭futura123

anyone who hasn't noticed anything yet must have a serious vision impairment. if you're a driver, you'd best head down to the local optician and get them tested.
    i wholeheartedly agree, galway is a shadow of its 2006 self

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭m83

In terms of manufacturing, Galway has been hit very hard and it's only going to get worse in the new year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,048 ✭✭✭SimpleSam06

JustMary wrote: »
    There are very few actual job vacancies.
    Bingo, there are now two or three employed people for every one signing the dole in this city. Countrywide, 100,000 people have joined the dole in the last year, or three hundred people a day. Lots of these "wut recession" threads are students who have yet to look for a job.
    JustMary wrote: »
    ... enough already! IMHO very important that we don't talk things down too much ... the modern economy is based mainly on confidence!
    The modern economy is based on a strong domestic manufacturing base which exports out of the country, see for reference the largest exporter on earth, Germany, or the fourth largest, Japan. Confidence is only important when you are trying to sell people fresh air, as in a "knowledge economy", a mostly English-speaking world phenomenon, with a few notable exceptions, see for reference Iceland.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭galwaybabe

The main thing I've noticed is there is much less traffic, in particular builder's vans and lackagh cement lorrys.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

A big difference I've noticed is the reluctance people have to let go of their jobs. A couple of years ago a lot of my friends wouldn't think twice about packing in the job, whether to go travelling or to find another job somewhere down the line. Now a decent job is something to hold onto, if you know what I mean. I sound like my grandparents :(

Apparently pubs actually tend to do better during recessions, or so I heard.

• Registered Users Posts: 812 ✭✭✭cuculainn

It will be this time next year before the full effects ofn the recession are felt

• Registered Users Posts: 3,110 ✭✭✭KevR

Although I don't personally know anyone who has lost their job because of the recession, I do have a friend who just came finished college last May and he hasn't been able to find a job to date.

As for pubs being busy still - the pub that I sometimes go to for a drink is still always packed, which maybe explains why the people running the pub were able to justify a price increase in a pint from 4.50euro to 4.60euro. For me personally, 4.60euro is pushing it a bit and I might end up taking my custom elsewhere.

I would say a lot of people in Galway are being a bit more careful with how they spend their money and to be honest I don't think that's any harm because some people had lost the run of themselves altogether..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭galah

One thing I noticed is a lot more Irish people working jobs that were previously done by mostly Eastern Europeans - cashiers in Aldi and Lidl and other shops, bar staff, restaurant staff - it's interesting!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 315 ✭✭galvianlord

Jeez for a while there I thought people lived in a completely different place! Galway has been hit badly by the recession so far and as things get worse it is in prime place to be one of hardest hit cities in the country.

I totally agree with some of the anecdotal comments earlier, particularly with regard to the queue at the social welfare office. Walk by there every morning and it is getting longer and bigger anytime they are opening for business.

Discretionary spending is definitely on the decline. I have a few friends who work in a salon in town. They have been put on three day weeks and their more lucrative offers, laser treatment and **** like that are no longer been used. I guess there is only so long you can survive on nails and fake tan.

Small business owners that i would know are also in the merde, for a variety of reasons. they may have overextended themselves and now find it hard to access credit and the banks arent exactly the samaritans at times like this.

Charities are also being hard hit. Events are poorly subscribed to now and the old faithful auction is nearly a thing of the past as all the flash harrys dont have the cash to throw around anymore.

Hotels are finding it harder to survive, the domestic leisure market has collapsed so they are limited in the guests they can expect. Despite the more outlandish rumours you here from time to time there may well be some truth in the proposition of hotel closures in Galway City and County over the next six months. Pubs and Clubs are hardly the best economic indicators, but people like to drink to forget at times and they maybe busier as people brush their worries under the carpet. Read somewhere a month or so ago that in times of recession champagne sales go up...

It's a wait and see thing how the shops in town will do for Xmas; Shop St and William St can always be busy with pedestrians but its safe to say only a small minority are actually spending.

As the recession takes greater hold and unless some miraculous things happen Galway may well be quite the depressing place for the next 12 months are so.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

cornbb wrote: »
    Apparently pubs actually tend to do better during recessions, or so I heard.

Cinemas do extremely well in tough times.

Expect them to get busier for sure

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

It's a wait and see thing how the shops in town will do for Xmas; Shop St and William St can always be busy with pedestrians but its safe to say only a small minority are actually spending.

I saw a retail expert on TV walk around a shopping centre. This could be bollix but he said 1 ot of 6 people in a shopping area carrying a shops bag is normal.
    In recent years they've seen 1 in 4 and currently it's one in 10. Yes, someone actually checks this

Shop St will always be busy, doesn't mean the shops are making many sales

micmclo wrote: »
    I saw a retail expert on TV walk around a shopping centre. This could be bollix but he said 1 ot of 6 people in a shopping area carrying a shops bag is normal.
    In recent years they've seen 1 in 4 and currently it's one in 10. Yes, someone actually checks this

Shop St will always be busy, doesn't mean the shops are making many sales

It also doesnt help that Galway lags behind places like Limerick and Athlone when it come to choice in retailers, particularly clothing. I know people who prefer to head to Athlone to shop than Galway because of the wider choice on offer in the new centre there. And that is not meant to demean Galway's independent traders...it's just a fact that means Galway is hemorrhaging retail sales to other Irish towns if and when people spend!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭Fey!

Retail is a lot quieter than the previous few years. As for huge crowds "shopping" in town, have a look and see how many people are carrying shopping bags (and what proportion of the bags you see are from Easons).

I know several people who have been made redundant. One of them only got 30 minutes notice before the liquidators came into the factory he worked in.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

The Rahoon flats are to be put back up to accommodate all those who can no longer afford the mortgage on their gerry-built "starter home" in a car park on the Western Distributor Road.

Toasted Heretic are to go back on tour.

Shop Street is to be opened to traffic again and pay and display parking will be phased out in favour of scratch-n-sniff parking discs.

Robbo wrote: »
    The Rahoon flats are to be put back up to accommodate all those who can no longer afford the mortgage on their gerry-built "starter home" in a car park on the Western Distributor Road.

Toasted Heretic are to go back on tour.

Shop Street is to be opened to traffic again and pay and display parking will be phased out in favour of scratch-n-sniff parking discs.

ah my childhood.....make it mandatory for everyone to wear brown and grey (in different shades of the same) again!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭AvrilLavigne

d-gal wrote: »
    pubs and clubs are packed

You can't have a recession without a session! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭galwaybabe

Another thing I've noticed is that there are a lot more folk hanging around town to have a coffee with in the day. Reminds me of the early nineties.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭AvrilLavigne

galwaybabe wrote: »
    Another thing I've noticed is that there are a lot more folk hanging around town to have a coffee with in the day. Reminds me of the early nineties.

See you in Arabica on merchants road @ 1.15! :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭Fey!

See you in Arabica on merchants road @ 1.15! :eek:

I'm in Arabica now trying to get a glimpse of you and GalwayBabe (I'm the fella in the corner in the dirty mac, staring into my coffee).
    wanted to see if you looked as tough as you talk!!!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement