Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recession Galway

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 894 ✭✭✭filmbuffboy

Hmv needs to start charging decent prices if it wants to survive.

I know competition is tough, and theyre up against internet giants and the like.... but going in there these days, their prices are still quite extravagant overall. Sure, they have the odd sale etc... but a lot of their stuff is severly overpriced!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,898 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

€179 online including postage & €269 from HMV - that's only 50% dearer :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 894 ✭✭✭filmbuffboy

Discodog wrote: »

exactly. is it any wonder theyre in financial trouble? There is a recession on, and people automatically shop where they can get a product cheapest these days.... and more often than not, its not HMV theyre going to.

Its a pity, because I really like hmv as a place to shop. It would be sad if they pulled out of galway altogether. But I for one rarely spend money there anymore because I can find things far cheaper on amazon and the likes.

The strange thing is that some shops are a total rip off but others do manage to compete. To my surprise I have been able to buy some items locally at similar to the online cost. I would always prefer to buy locally & I don't expect them to match online prices but given the high postage costs, they should be able to be competitive.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,401 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

You sure they're the same model (Beats Studio), as there are quite a few variations of these shoddy headphones, some cheaper, some more expensive. The RRP for Beats Studio's is €299, a quick look on amazon uk puts their price in line with HMV's own.

That said, beats aren't even worth €20, monster audio/dre are laughing :pac:

• Advertisement

Mactard wrote: »
    You sure they're the same model (Beats Studio), as there are quite a few variations of these shoddy headphones, some cheaper, some more expensive. The RRP for Beats Studio's is €299, a quick look on amazon uk puts their price in line with HMV's own.

That said, beats aren't even worth €20, monster audio/dre are laughing :pac:

Well they say that they are the Studio model:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Monster-Cable-Products-BEATS-DR-DRE-HD-STUDIO-HEADPHONES-WHITE-/290706042544?pt=UK_AudioVisualElectronics_HomeAudioHiFi_Headphones&hash=item43af6e2eb0

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,401 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

Almost definitely fakes, ebay is riddled with them. (not that it makes a difference quality wise)

Mactard wrote: »
    Almost definitely fakes, ebay is riddled with them. (not that it makes a difference quality wise ;) )

Quite possibly. High demand product that's easy to fake & with a huge margin. Add in the factor that 99% won't know the difference :D. In reality they are probably a consistent price like Apple etc. Following the pack is a recipe for getting ripped off.

I wonder if parents buy them because they are closed - one way of getting a bit of peace :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭GearMaven

Over years of spending 6 months Ireland/6 months California, kept waiting for the shoe to drop over here. The recession that crept up on USA over 10 years hit Ireland over a shorter period of time but for same reasons.

We were bemoaning the fall caused by American excesses...little-money-down leased autos resulting in 4-5 cars in home driveways, McMansions bought/built by people who took out 120% mortgages with nothing down and government encouraging home ownership by those who should not have been buying at all, shopping/shopping/shopping with talk of Manolo Blahniks and imitating the stupidity of Sex in the City images.

Then, we started to see the same 5-bedroom McMansions on the roads near Sixmilebridge owned even by singles or couples without children, the same BMW or Mercedes car leases by those without a savings account safety net in the bank, the same spend/spend/spend mentality taking over, the young girls in designer dresses and no money in their pocketbooks, those in low-wage jobs shelling out hundreds of Euros for tickets to concerts and other luxuries. We all were enamored by the idea of having it all right now instead of later when we'd saved for it!

So sad to see the disillusionment now and to hear the stories of young people again heading to Australia and Canada to find work. Encouraged in US, not by politicians, but by those cutting up credit cards, paying cash and saving again, those starting their own small businesses and taking it slow. Wondering what awaits as we head back home again to Galway this month.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

I saw five different cars on the road today with plastic/cardboard covering a back passenger window. Has there been a serious rise in car break-ins?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭swine

Maybe they just got tired of you looking in? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭ladhrann

GearMaven wrote: »
    Over years of spending 6 months Ireland/6 months California, kept waiting for the shoe to drop over here. The recession that crept up on USA over 10 years hit Ireland over a shorter period of time but for same reasons.

We were bemoaning the fall caused by American excesses...little-money-down leased autos resulting in 4-5 cars in home driveways, McMansions bought/built by people who took out 120% mortgages with nothing down and government encouraging home ownership by those who should not have been buying at all, shopping/shopping/shopping with talk of Manolo Blahniks and imitating the stupidity of Sex in the City images.

Then, we started to see the same 5-bedroom McMansions on the roads near Sixmilebridge owned even by singles or couples without children, the same BMW or Mercedes car leases by those without a savings account safety net in the bank, the same spend/spend/spend mentality taking over, the young girls in designer dresses and no money in their pocketbooks, those in low-wage jobs shelling out hundreds of Euros for tickets to concerts and other luxuries. We all were enamored by the idea of having it all right now instead of later when we'd saved for it!

So sad to see the disillusionment now and to hear the stories of young people again heading to Australia and Canada to find work. Encouraged in US, not by politicians, but by those cutting up credit cards, paying cash and saving again, those starting their own small businesses and taking it slow. Wondering what awaits as we head back home again to Galway this month.

Whats wrong with people in low-wage jobs spending their money on concert tickets by the way? If anything those in low-wage positions were never in a position to take on the housing debt that is endemic of the crisis.

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭Stevolende

Is the Amber House being shown preceding a sale or something? Looked like somebody was looking at it as I got off the bus a few days ago. been sitting there unused for past year or whatever, thought hey do keep a couple of lights going at night.
    Was just put in mind of that when reading something on this thread about the Clayton Hotel but I think that was from January

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭kevin65

ladhrann wrote: »
    Whats wrong with people in low-wage jobs spending their money on concert tickets by the way? If anything those in low-wage positions were never in a position to take on the housing debt that is endemic of the crisis.

Don't think it was meant as a comment against low-wage workers, more part of a general comment on how people spent money they didn't have and never saved for a rainy day as contributing to current situation alot of people find themselves in.

Almost zero helicopters in the sky today..so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭Squeeonline

snubbleste wrote: »

Heard one earlier on over Lough Atalia. Didnt bother to look out at it though so could have been anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭dloob

Seen 3 or 4 of them heading in and out between races today

• Closed Accounts Posts: 378 ✭✭I_smell_fear

I decided to take the ferrari instead

• Registered Users Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭Squeeonline

I decided to take the ferrari instead

ah understandable.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,172 ✭✭✭Wompa1

Heard one earlier on over Lough Atalia. Didnt bother to look out at it though so could have been anything.

The ants are back Ted

• Advertisement

The public is being urged to report any suspicious behaviour in Claddagh quay following recent accounts of attempts to net swans in the area.

Also observed illicit destruction of trees on Council property, presumably for firewood.

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭Aiel

A few examples of the recession ive noticed:People are burning cheaper coal these nights which is causing smog to develope as the coal is "smokey" coal and of a lesser quality then the dearer stuff.If it keeps people warm though then its fine its just annoying to have your clothes smell of smoke when you come home at night.
    I started work in my current retail job 4 yrs ago,that Christmas was very busy.Every Christmas since has been getting more quiet,couldnt believe how quiet it was the last Saturday before Christmas last year.This year looks like being worse im afraid.
    The biggest most obvious noticable sign of the recession is the difference of the que's at the social welfare office compared to around 6 or 7 yrs ago.

Had a wander around town today. There are so many prominent shopfronts vacant. It makes the town look a little bit desolate. Noticed the chuggers were not as chirper as normal either

• Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭Ms.Sunshine

I have definitely noticed it. Although Shop Street is always busy , not many people are actually carrying shopping bags. Also you certainly notice it at night, the before the recession you could head to any pub or club on any night of the week and it would be buzzing now it is dead!!

Is there still a recession in Galway?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,172 ✭✭✭Wompa1

Was back there for 2 weeks recently....definitely still a recession.

Thanks for that, tourist.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

Wompa1 wrote: »
    Was back there for 2 weeks recently....definitely still a recession.

They were all hidin' on ya.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭antoobrien

No

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭Paddyfield

I have 100% evidence that the recession is over.

Someone just posted this on boards.ie >>>>>>>

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057102540

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement