Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recession Galway

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭Neworder79

• Registered Users Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭big b

Neworder79 wrote: »

Yep, and as part of that story...

"However, the plans were met with scepticism by councillors who expressed fears that the airport was overly reliant on local airline Aer Arann and that the lack of public transport to and from the airport would put people off travelling from the regional airport."

So, at least they know the service sucks. But what are they doing about it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Amazotheamazing

Neworder79 wrote: »

Rightly too, build proper connections to both Shannon and Knock and Galway won't need the airport. Shannon should only be a 40 minute drive from Galway, if we had anything like proper infrastructure in Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,376 ✭✭✭gaeilgegrinds

Town was seriously depressing today, shopkeepers standing at their doors. I'm genuinely afraid now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭James Forde

Town was seriously depressing today, shopkeepers standing at their doors. I'm genuinely afraid now.

Literally?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

Nice one, I can buy new shoes in peace next week

• Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭daveg

snubbleste wrote: »
    Nortel has filed for bankruptcy in America. Anyone know what exactly the 300 people they employ in Galway do?

Nortel have filed for bankruptcy protection, not for bankruptcy. Very different. Worse thing for Nortel employees is that it is doubtful they will receive anything over statutory redundancy if they go belly up. Nortel started layoffs 10 years ago. I was one of the second rounds to go. We all got 6 weeks per year redundancy payments as did every other round of employees since. They have shedded over 50% of their global workforce in the last 10 years from 90,000 to about 45,000 from what I know. All those loyal and committed employees who remained are now the ones who could very well get shafted with only statutory redundancy which I think is 2 weeks per year. A lot of these employees have been worked to the bone covering additional work loads from those that have been laid off and not replaced. In my mind this is disgusting.

3 things may happen. They maybe bought out, Canadian government may bail them out or they may start shedding massive jobs numbers which will save them a fortune as they will not have to pay redundancy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,376 ✭✭✭gaeilgegrinds

Yes literally. Was quite eerie

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

daveg wrote: »
    3 things may happen. They maybe bought out, Canadian government may bail them out or they may start shedding massive jobs numbers which will save them a fortune as they will not have to pay redundancy.

The Canadian government have pleged 30 million.

Nortel filed for bankruptcy protection the day before interest of 107 million was due.

30 million isn't going to do Nortel much good, I'm afraid.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭Webbs

Isnt it like this most end of Januarys on a thursday?
    I thought around now is statistically the most depressing time of year (god knows how they work that out!)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭JIZZLORD

Webbs wrote: »
    Isnt it like this most end of Januarys on a thursday?
    I thought around now is statistically the most depressing time of year (god knows how they work that out!)

crap weather, dark nights, dark early nights, dark mornings, darkness, waiting on 5 weeks of pay, resulting poverty. etc...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,252 ✭✭✭✭Madame Razz

Rightly too, build proper connections to both Shannon and Knock and Galway won't need the airport. Shannon should only be a 40 minute drive from Galway, if we had anything like proper infrastructure in Ireland.

To be fair you can do it in about an hour from the west side of the city now, granted a little longer at peak times, and less in the dead of night if you're going for one of the US flights/ Red-eye to Stansted.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭dmcg90

Quick tip, if you have a lot of rubbish to get rid of, go to the corrib village, dump it in the big compressor just after the square in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭Stky10

big b wrote: »
    So, at least they know the service sucks. But what are they doing about it?

From the article
    They also revealed that negotiations are currently taking place to run a dedicated bus service from the city to the airport but due to the delay in granting licences for such a service, it could be two to three years before this came into effect.

That says so much about Ireland, and the red tape involved in getting anything done. The problem is we're not paying our TD's, Councillors, County Council workers peanuts, but they're still monkeys.

• Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭buzz55

I think people in Galway have def been hit by the recession. Sigma to close in Loughrea is just the latest hit.
    I work for a private company, approx 35 staff. We've all had to take a substantial pay cut, and hope that that will be enough to avoid letting anyone go.
    No staff Christmas party, which was a relief for most of us - after you've been to one, they're all pretty much the same.
    I've noticed that the younger members of staff have cut out going out for lunch every day & are now bringing in the lunchboxes with them. No 2009 cars in the car park whereas with the last 5 years there's always been at least 2 brand new cars every January.

On the plus side, certain things are cheaper (petrol, rents coming down) and there does seem to be a lot more offers on the table. Pity that they're mainly for restaurants, when a good few people have stopped eating out altogether.

I'm living in hope that cinemas start doing offers, sitting in every night is miserable!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

buzz55 wrote: »
    I'm living in hope that cinemas start doing offers, sitting in every night is miserable!

Go for a walk, or get a GF. If you have a GF and you're bored of sitting in at night, yer doing it wrong :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭buzz55

Well ok, I dont sit in every night! But just want the cinemas to come up with some 2 for 1's!

I have a partner - still doesn't mean I wouldn't mind a bargain night out :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,673 ✭✭✭s_carnage

buzz55 wrote: »
    Well ok, I dont sit in every night! But just want the cinemas to come up with some 2 for 1's!

I have a partner - still doesn't mean I wouldn't mind a bargain night out :D

Ya the cineworld cinemas in Dublin have an unlimited card where ya pay €20 per month to go to as many films as ya want. Now that would be a great introduction for the Galway ones.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Anyone know what's going on with Celestica in Ballybrit?
    It employs 380 people plus had announced to create 120 more jobs 18 months ago.
    Rté said there will be a meeting with all workers tongiht

• Registered Users Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭alibabba

staff in celestica are been called in for a meeting this evening,
    expecting bad news im told

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭death1234567

:(

update ... 365 staff working there, word on the street jobs gone

• Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭galwaybabe

So much for the mayor's assurances that there'll be no major job losses in the city. I thought to myself when I heard that - what a load of boll*x

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭paddyb125

There are no jobs in galway at all, Fibber McGees are advertising but I haven't heard back yet, I'd say they got loads of applicants

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭damalo

Bolli* to that.

I was running some interviews not so long ago - 2 no shows for the Interview. I wonder with some people.

alibabba wrote: »
    update ... 365 staff working there, word on the street jobs gone
    All jobs gone or just some?

All jobs gone or just some?

Wont know til 5pm
    People on the floor up there expect ALL jobs to go.

alibabba wrote: »
    expect ALL jobs to go.
    :eek:

• Advertisement

jesus.. ballybrit is takin a battering recently. :(

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement