Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recession Galway

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭Lord Nikon

Anyone work there from boards.ie?? Isn't the meeting on at 7:30pm?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭galah

anyone know what happend to Fidelios (spelling)? Heard it on the news, but then couldn't find anything about it on the net - 50 jobs gone there as well, according to Galway Bayfm...

Worrying times...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,064 ✭✭✭minxie

galah wrote: »
    anyone know what happend to Fidelios (spelling)? Heard it on the news, but then couldn't find anything about it on the net - 50 jobs gone there as well, according to Galway Bayfm...

Worrying times...
    wheres that place??

• Registered Users Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭galah

Parkmore...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,010 ✭✭✭✭dodzy

snubbleste wrote: »
    Anyone know what's going on with Celestica in Ballybrit?
    It employs 380 people plus had announced to create 120 more jobs 18 months ago.
    Rté said there will be a meeting with all workers tongiht

Yep, apparently 7pm. Let's hope the news is not as bad as I'm sure we all expect:(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭Lord Nikon

So?? any update?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭death1234567

galah wrote: »

Worrying times...
    Do you mean Fidelity?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

I'd assume they mean MICROS-Fidelio. They run a support centre in Parkmore.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Recession threads merged

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭gmkgreaney

celestica meeting at half 7 tonight, i can see the thumbleweed already in parkmore:o

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

I'd assume they mean MICROS-Fidelio. They run a support centre in Parkmore.

Don't think they've really been affected... Kind of out of the loop now though
    The UK offices where development of the products take place has been hit pretty hard by redundancies, but we haven't lost any existing support contracts so can't really let any support staff go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

tman wrote: »
    Don't think they've really been affected...
    Agreed. Someone probably heard about their non-Irish layoffs and wasn't sure if Ireland were affected.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,376 ✭✭✭gaeilgegrinds

Celestica letting 120 go, not good.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,378 ✭✭✭Krieg

Not good at all, but could have been worse (touch wood)
    Thanks for that update.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

Im sure i heard on rte news that it was 80 they are letting go

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭forumfiend

I was in Toy City this evening. The shelves are all but empty and there seemed to be only two people working there. Guy in the games section said it's a clearance sale and new stock would be coming in a week or two but as speculated before it looks to me like they are closing down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 Hi-Psi

Are there any types of jobs in Galway that haven't been effected by the recession and still need to employ new people?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,064 ✭✭✭minxie

we have just been told we are going on days
    in 3 weeks...all night shifts to finish up.... :(
    keeping a positive outlook on things tho :)
    major company on galway as well....

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

I should start hiring you guys as my monkeys :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

Hi-Psi wrote: »
    Are there any types of jobs in Galway that haven't been effected by the recession and still need to employ new people?

Virtually everything has been affected by the recession. It's all had a knock on effect.

• Advertisement

Xiney wrote: »
    Virtually everything has been affected by the recession. It's all had a knock on effect.

Not everything. A lot, but not *everything*

• Registered Users Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭alibabba

The count is at 320,000
    They expect it to hit 400,000 by EOY
    That means 450,000 cos they dont get anything right up there in Dail E

500,000 next year .... whats the odds that even people in this thread will be hit. God its terrible.

Ireland needs to unite now more than ever, we need to get off golden thrones and do whats best to pull out of the depression.

The public sector wage bill is an expense to the country, thats why they had to hit it. They should stop giving out about it.
    What else can they do?

JohnCleary wrote: »
    Not everything. A lot, but not *everything*

So name something that hasn't been affected.

alibabba wrote: »
    whats the odds that even people in this thread will be hit.

people in this thread have already been hit :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭alibabba

people in this thread have already been hit :confused:

Ya ... i had two brothers joining the very long dole queue yesterday in town.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,540 ✭✭✭sgthighway

Not a job for everybody but if you have a C1 and D1 license the HSE are recruiting EMTs. It is one part of the HSE that cannot be cut back because of EU regulations (ones I can't quote or point to). Checkout publicjobs.ie

Despite cutbacks in other divisions Boston Scientific in Galway are expanding and are reruiting the following:
    Technical Writer
    Supplier Engineer
    Senior Supervisor-Complaints,
    Senior Stability Engineer
    Senior Quality Engineer-Operations
    Senior Packaging Design Engineer
    Senior Manufactruing Engineer
    Quality Systems Validation Engineer (Software)
    Quality Engineer-Operations
    Quality Engineer - Pre & Post Production
    Manufacturing Engineer
    Label System Engineer
    Extrusion Technician
    Checkout: http://www.bostonscientific.com

• Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭Sniipe

sgthighway, thanks for that reply. Keep them coming. I currently have a job, and its nice to know there are still some jobs out there. Anyone else have anything else like sgthighway?

Aren't CSN meant to be coming to galway?

I sent an email to them and got this reply (on 15th jan):

We are excited to expand into the European market and establish our European headquarters in Galway.

CSN Stores is a pure play online retailer with over 260 stores selling over 1 million products. Here in the US, we are third largest online, home goods retailer (behind Williams Sonoma and Crate and Barrel). CSN Stores has enjoyed tremendous growth … founded in 2002, today we employ over 500 employees in Boston, MA.

Our current job openings can be found at http://www.csnstores.ie/join_csn_stores.asp?settab=5. These roles require fluent English and German language skills.

We are reviewing all applicants CVs. We will contact folks who meet our immediate needs and retain all CVs for future open roles.

sgthighway wrote: »
    Not a job for everybody but if you have a C1 and D1 license the HSE are recruiting EMTs. It is one part of the HSE that cannot be cut back because of EU regulations (ones I can't quote or point to). Checkout publicjobs.ie

Despite cutbacks in other divisions Boston Scientific in Galway are expanding and are reruiting the following:
    Technical Writer
    Supplier Engineer
    Senior Supervisor-Complaints,
    Senior Stability Engineer
    Senior Quality Engineer-Operations
    Senior Packaging Design Engineer
    Senior Manufactruing Engineer
    Quality Systems Validation Engineer (Software)
    Quality Engineer-Operations
    Quality Engineer - Pre & Post Production
    Manufacturing Engineer
    Label System Engineer
    Extrusion Technician
    Checkout: http://www.bostonscientific.com

But aren't the EMTs being made to take a pay cut (sorry, "pension levy")?

And Boston Scientific may be hiring, but since other companies laid people off there's a lot more people going for those jobs so it's harder to get them.

Everything has been affected.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,540 ✭✭✭sgthighway

But aren't the EMTs being made to take a pay cut (sorry, "pension levy")?

And Boston Scientific may be hiring, but since other companies laid people off there's a lot more people going for those jobs so it's harder to get them.

Everything has been affected.

The HSE are still recruiting though.

It is true that when the likes of Boston Scientific are hiring they look to the likes of other companies in a similar field who might have recently made reduntancies. e.g. When Abbott in Galway closed; a team was setup in Abbott to try and look after the people that were let go. Boston took on a lot of these people. They might go head to head at the stock exchange but they are human when it comes to looking out for each other.

• Advertisement

Me - I've been having to turn work down lately due to education committments

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement