Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recession Galway

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,540 ✭✭✭sgthighway

Another crowd ijust remembered who are recruiting: http://www.gxpsystems.com/jobs.html

Mainly got to do with Validations.

They have contracts with a lot of Manufacturing Companies in Galway.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

JohnCleary wrote: »
    Me - I've been having to turn work down lately due to education committments
    What area do you work in John?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,160 ✭✭✭✭banshee_bones

Was in River Island on Sunday, and it was dead , now that is a shop that is always wedged. I actually could not believe it. This shop pulls in tremendous money, my friend that works there told me before christmas " with the money were taking in you would not think theres a recession going on at all"

Wonder where they are now, i reckon the january credit card statement has arrived for alot of their customers...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

ronnie3585 wrote: »
    What area do you work in John?

Male Jigalo

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

Male Jigalo

Ah I see. I suppose Warty Nora will always have a desire for sweaty manjina that reeks of the docks, what with all that moula she wins on the scratchers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,155 ✭✭✭PopeBuckfastXVI

Male Jigalo

Filling a gap in the market eh John? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭galah

galah wrote: »
    anyone know what happend to Fidelios (spelling)? Heard it on the news, but then couldn't find anything about it on the net - 50 jobs gone there as well, according to Galway Bayfm...

Worrying times...

Sorry, I heard wrong - it was Fidelity, not Fidelios.
    Just as bad though...

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ireland/2009/0205/1233787117308.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 174 ✭✭futura123

was worried last year now very scared at how things are panning out for 09...... very little is recession proof in this little city..... and to think the money was bein thrown around like it had an expiry date and this was only 2006....:(

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

futura123 wrote: »
    was worried last year now very scared at how things are panning out for 09...... very little is recession proof in this little city..... and to think the money was bein thrown around like it had an expiry date and this was only 2006....:(

Oi, stop talking down the economy. Didn't our esteemed photograph-addicted Mayor declare Galway was different and less prone to the recession effects?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,378 ✭✭✭Krieg

My father works in dentistry (Not an actual dentist) and he has more work coming to him since before the recession.
    A mate of mine works in bons secour (sp?) and while they aren't hiring, a lot of the staff are working extra hours and have become very busy.
    Im doing my thesis for one of the medical device companies and they are also doing very well lately.

Of course those examples could change in the coming months. It seems that a lot of the medical industry aren't doing badly. Its a common conception that they are generally recession proof.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭jasonh

Krieg wrote: »
    My father works in dentistry (Not an actual dentist) and he has more work coming to him since before the recession.
    A mate of mine works in bons secour (sp?) and while they aren't hiring, a lot of the staff are working extra hours and have become very busy.
    Im doing my thesis for one of the medical device companies and they are also doing very well lately.

Of course those examples could change in the coming months. It seems that a lot of the medical industry aren't doing badly. Its a common conception that they are generally recession proof.

I suppose if you're ill you're ill - regardless if the arse has fallen out of the economy. The best recession proof business is funeral directors.

I've heard crematoriums are on the up also - due to lack of land.

I wonder how to set up my own crematorium in galway - do i need a qualification?
    J

• Registered Users Posts: 2,650 ✭✭✭cooperguy

Sniipe wrote: »
    sgthighway, thanks for that reply. Keep them coming. I currently have a job, and its nice to know there are still some jobs out there. Anyone else have anything else like sgthighway?

Aren't CSN meant to be coming to galway?

I sent an email to them and got this reply (on 15th jan):

We are excited to expand into the European market and establish our European headquarters in Galway.

CSN Stores is a pure play online retailer with over 260 stores selling over 1 million products. Here in the US, we are third largest online, home goods retailer (behind Williams Sonoma and Crate and Barrel). CSN Stores has enjoyed tremendous growth … founded in 2002, today we employ over 500 employees in Boston, MA.

Our current job openings can be found at http://www.csnstores.ie/join_csn_stores.asp?settab=5. These roles require fluent English and German language skills.

We are reviewing all applicants CVs. We will contact folks who meet our immediate needs and retain all CVs for future open roles.
    Medtronic are hiring in many departments aswell

January 2009 registered unemployment figures show 18,432 for Co. Galway (up 7,857 from Jan 2008), of which 9,967 are signing on in the city.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭EJLL

snubbleste wrote: »
    January 2009 registered unemployment figures show 18,432 for Co. Galway (up 7,857 from Jan 2008), of which 9,967 are signing on in the city.

Those figures seem bizarre. Galway City with a population of 73,000 and yet there are almost 10,000 signing on in the city. Then when you break the population down into children/OAP's vs adults.....??

I guess if you look at Galway County as a whole, with a population of 230,000,the amount unemployed (18,432) seems more balanced.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Thu 15th January 2009

Unemployment in Galway is continuing to rise.
    More than a thousand more people signed on the Live Register in December, leaving just over 16.400 people without work in the city and county.
    The biggest jump in unemployment last month was in the city, with 480 more people signing on the Live Register. There are now almost 16 and a half thousand people out of work in Galway compared to 9.700 for the same time last year.

EJLL wrote: »
    Those figures seem bizarre. Galway City with a population of 73,000 and yet there are almost 10,000 signing on in the city. Then when you break the population down into children/OAP's vs adults.....??
    I guess if you look at Galway County as a whole, with a population of 230,000,the amount unemployed (18,432) seems more balanced.

You are right..
    The CSO identify 6 social welfare office centres in Co. Galway, so i presume the Galway city figure includes Oranmore, An Spidéal, Oughterard etc. I got the stats from http://www.cso.ie/releasespublications/documents/labour_market/current/lregeo.pdf

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 meheremc

i work in retail and its hella quiet compared to last years figures

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

I went up to Galway for a night out for the first time in I don't know how long. Jayz it was quite compare to how it used to be. Much more tolerable being able to go into a bar and being able to move through it easily.

Walked from William St down to Mainguard St. today. There are 9-10 empty retail outlets along the route

• Closed Accounts Posts: 315 ✭✭galvianlord

sure what can ya do? the whole place is listed to the nines and retailers wont go into poky shops with lots of levels, what they want is a big box. not something they're goin to get in galway. when people try and change things, an taisce objects and the council do sweet f-all about it. taffes must be derelict for 10 years now and nothin has been done. go to athlone for shopping cause i know theres none here!

• Advertisement

The Steiner factory in Carnmore will close next month with the loss of 45 jobs.
    The company, which is opposite Galway airport, supplies the capacitor industry with raw materials.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 546 ✭✭✭quietobserver

thats sad to hear. often its only in the face of negative news that you learn what a company provides. never knew what steiner made

it's getting really bad.. after another few job losses for people i know, i am the only person my age that i know working. i'm 21.

most of the people i know are still in college so it's not a completely damning statistic.. but i could still name maybe 30 people under 22 looking for a job right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,959 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

.. but i could still name maybe 30 people under 22 looking for a job right now.

They'll have more chance for the few McJobs that are around than the older people (who cost more). Won't help them career-wise I know, but better than nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭alibabba

a mate of mine up in boston sci just told me the factory had meeting this morning, they told they have to tighten belt even more to keep out of the red, talks of cutting shifts and going back to basic 5 day week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 curiousd

balu wrote: »
    Talking about this? ;)
    http://ie.youtube.com/watch?v=B8r-nDBx5Jg
    http://ie.youtube.com/watch?v=2I0QN-FYkpw

Schiff was right! Schiff is the man!

Schiff is great. Quite entertaining to listen to, but most importantly he's pretty accurate in what he says. I love his weekly podcast "Wall St. Unspun" available on iTunes.

Also check out Doug Casey
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zKIYNr2PPgM
    http://www.caseyresearch.com/casey-services/free-publications/conversations-with-casey/

and Gerlade Celente
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J3DfjLCcbzw
    http://www.trendsjournal.com/

The mainstream pundits on TV didn't see this crash coming and they slagged off the guys above for gloom predictions at the time. Why should we pay any attention to the mainstream pundits now? I trust the guys above much more than the mainstream.

p.s. How wrong does Ben Bernake have to be before he's declared unfit for his job? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HQ79Pt2GNJo

• Registered Users Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭Greaney

Galway has a lot more markets so people are doing the amature entrepreneur thing. I host a carboot fundraiser once a year and the numbers of folk making enquiries is growing every year

The next one, a mate of mine Suzanne is organising in Terryland Football parks carpark on Sat 8th of August by the way... she's going to try and get it regular for the summer. You can contact her @ 087xxxx

Remarkably less 09 cars around

• Registered Users Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭alibabba

snubbleste wrote: »
    Remarkably less 09 cars around

remarkably less car dealers around too !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭McTigs

Deeley's Menswear has shut down on shop street and they've been in business for generations

I see a lot of closing down sales happening around the town too

It may still have been choc a bloc in the pubs when this thread started but it has been noticably quiet over the past 5 weeks or so

i reckon the next few months will be pretty dismal and probably a muted christmas too if/when the public service get hit in the budget (not starting a public/private debate but it certainly looks like they will)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement