Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recession Galway

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭alibabba

front page of todays sentinel ... LSI in serious trouble

Allot of their trouble is hotels owe them a fortune

i have loads friends up there and they say they expecting P45s soon

• Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭?Cee?view

What's LSI?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

churchview wrote: »
    What's LSI?
    Linen Supply of Ireland (formerly Connacht Court Group). They're on Henry St. about 100 yards from Cook's Corner.

Linen Supply of Ireland (formerly Connacht Court Group). They're on were on Henry St. about 100 yards from Cook's Corner.

moved to a state of the art facility out near B&Q, spent a small fortune on that place (suppose to be cursed too, but thats another story altogether)

they got 30 million for the henry street site

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

I hadn't realised that they had moved.

yip, there a few years now, 3 or 4 i think
    built on top of a fairy fort (fact)
    had nothing but trouble since, including how the whole place nearly burnt to the ground one nite and now threatening to close

dont mess with fairys i tell ya

• Registered Users Posts: 25,959 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Slightly OT, but eh??? what's a fairy fort?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭donmeister

JustMary wrote: »

Afaik its some sort of castle type structure where gay men hang out.

JustMary wrote: »

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=fairy+fort

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

Ringforts are most commonly tagged as being 'fairy forts' in Ireland, probably because they are the most common monument. There are approximately 30,000 ringforts scattered across the country and the majority of these were single family farmsteads, the earliest dating to the Irish Iron age.

These are circular shaped, consisting of banks of earth, mud or stone to enclose an interior space.

http://www.knowth.com/images-loughcrew/ringfort.jpg

(Sorry just realized I'm off topic)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,252 ✭✭✭✭Madame Razz

A lot of superstition around ring forts as the fairies are supposed to inhabit them. A lot of strange things have happened on sites where they were existed but were demolished to make way for houses/buildings.

There's a Kerry storyteller who has a lot of tales about the fairies; I can't think of his name but a bit of sleuthing on google should find him Justmary if you're interested in exploring 'fairies' further.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

You know if that Monday paper rag whateveritwascalled was around, next weeks headline would read 'Recession brings out the fairies'

• Registered Users Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭galah

whatever happened to that proposed massive hotel complex on the old Connacht laundry site? I remember the residents being up in arms about it, but then never heard anything about it again - did it go ahead, is it still planned to go ahead?

galah wrote: »
    whatever happened to that proposed massive hotel complex on the old Connacht laundry site? I remember the residents being up in arms about it, but then never heard anything about it again - did it go ahead, is it still planned to go ahead?

That's because you don't read the papers! It was there last week. The whole proposal was bonkers imo
    A receiver has been appointed to the company behind plans for a €50million five-star hotel on the site of the former Connacht Laundry premises in ‘The West’ in Galway City.
    National Irish Bank’s parent company Danske Bank appointed the receiver over the assets of Jaytar Limited, which is understood to have liabilities of at least €26million. Tom Kavanagh of Kavanagh Fennell, one of the country’s leading insolvency experts, has been appointed by the bank to Jaytar, which was the vehicle used by developers Noel Burke and John Staunton to purchase the Connacht Laundry (later Connacht Court) site on Henry Street in 2006 for €30million. http://www.galwaynews.ie/8827-receiver-appointed-firm-behind-%E2%82%AC50m-city-hotel-plan

busted ;-) I'm glad someone does ;-)

Cheers for that!

• Registered Users Posts: 25,959 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Thanks folks .. I'd heard of ringforts, but not the fairy-fort name - wondered what context the f-word ;) was being used in!

galah wrote: »

nope, the plug was pulled here for this hotel

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭ei.sdraob

Im after reading the first few pages and was shacking my head in disbelief

then i realized they dates :p were last year

to say galway has not changed is daft

a friend who cameback after being away for few years pointed out a huge amount of closed business to me, they sort of disappeared of the map slowly so alot of people haven't really noticed

my own business had a few very tough months last spring with month after month of losses, thankfully had savings to cushion the fall and in the summer things somehow recovered to just under summer 08 levels

now im dreading what the next 6 months would bring :(

Golden Discs on Eglinton St finally closed sometime in the last month

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

Xiney wrote: »
    Well, I got laid off today.

So, yeah. I guess you could say I've noticed the recession in Galway.

Coming up to a year from this post.

:-\

• Closed Accounts Posts: 272 ✭✭lt_cmdr_worf

What will the implications be for the city after the floods?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭Greaney

Back to the topic, I do facepainting and I was talking to some other facepainters, though we noticed bookings haven't dropped a lot, they come in at the last minuet so we can't plan anything and we can't really tell if they're going to drop off.

I believe Baboro bookings may have been down this year too.

Looked at a house within 12 miles of Galway city, structurally sound, just needs a new kitchen and bathroom... for less than €140K. It's just new on the market. Seller really wanted it to go and didn't want it on the market forever, also he has it years so he's not making a loss...

First time I've seen a house we might actually be able to afford.... that's not in Williamstown!!!!

There's real proof that house prices are dropping to something affordable

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭Webbs

Greaney wrote: »
    Looked at a house within 12 miles of Galway city, structurally sound, just needs a new kitchen and bathroom... for less than €140K. It's just new on the market. Seller really wanted it to go and didn't want it on the market forever, also he has it years so he's not making a loss...

First time I've seen a house we might actually be able to afford.... that's not in Williamstown!!!!

There's real proof that house prices are dropping to something affordable

Does it come with a boat to get to the city in the winter times :D

haha, very good Webb!! Actually, we drove out to it at the hight of the floods just to check that.... and it's grand (really!). Moreover, there's decent public/commuter transport to the city AND broadband.

See!! Not Williamstown;)

Things are so bad that the city council has decided to offer free parking. No need to display a credit union book in the window anymore.
    The Council has decided to offer free car parking at the end of January in bid to boost trade in the city. The initiative is expected to run from Monday to Thursday from 10am to noon. It is hoped the initiative will get underway will last for three weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭buzz55

Where did you see that bit about free parking? I can't spot it on the council's website?

buzz55 wrote: »
    Where did you see that bit about free parking? I can't spot it on the council's website?

The grammar used indicates it is from galwaynews.ie

• Advertisement

They said it on the news this morning!

I think they should go one step further, and reduce the ridiculous parking charges in town to something more sensible, AND scrap the minimum stay for a while, to get the 'quick business' as well!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement