Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ubuntu wireless internet problems

• 25-11-2008 10:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 30

hi, I have an old pentium3 dell running winXP and decided to try out ubuntu via wubi to see how good/bad it is as an OS. This computer was connecting fine to internet wirelessly using a Sweex LW055 wireless router and USB receiver. After successfully downloading and installing ubuntu with no problems, I find that I cant connect to the internet. I have tried help files and searching other forums but to no avail. Would really like to try out the internet this way as I feel it would be a big improvement over MS Windows.
    All advice appreciated.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭An Fear Aniar

I've looked on Google and the pickings are really thin, so it may not be possible to connect this thing. It will help if you type these commands one-by-one in the terminal and copy and paste the output here (use the Wrap Code tags so it formats better):
    lsusb

lshw -C network

ifconfig

iwconfig

iwlist scan

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

better still paste the results into http://pastebin.com/ and stick the link here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭Cantab.

sudo apt-get install wicd

Only a matter of time before wicd Ubuntu trumps Network Manager as the default.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭db

I did something similar recently with an old Dell notebook. Do a search for linux drivers for the USB device. If you don't have any luck with that you should still be able to use the windows driver with ndiswrapper. I found the right drivers for my usb device but I came across the second method when I was looking.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Dunmoon

Hi An Fear Aniar i did what you asked me to do and saved the scan results as a document file but this windows computer won't open the file for me to paste the results

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭An Fear Aniar

Dunmoon wrote: »
    Hi An Fear Aniar i did what you asked me to do and saved the scan results as a document file but this windows computer won't open the file for me to paste the results

I see what you mean. Try saving it as a .txt file. That might work. File endings don't matter so much in Linux as they do in Windows.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Dunmoon

Update: unfortunately my daughter has accidently broken the screen on her laptop and has "requisitioned" my computer monitor until she gets a new screen fitted. So my experiments with ubuntu have been put on hold for a while. Many thanks to all who have taken the interest to reply to my thread and maybe can be of help when I try again.

Advertisement