Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General: Unhappy with "proposals" to restrict access to drugs unless they're "proven&

Options
  • 25-11-2008 11:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭

I thought I'd post this here as other people with chronic illnesses may also be unhappy about what looks like is going to happen.

I'm unhappy at the cut-backs that may be coming soon with regard to payments for drugs and supplements.

There's an article on this in today's Irish Times:

"Take some drugs out of GMS, report to suggest"
    http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/health/2008/1125/1227486544857.html

There were pieces for the last two weeks in the Irish Times on the issue:

"Are we going to lose our access to drugs"
    http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/health/2008/1118/1226700692297.html

Saving on the drugs bill
    http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/health/2008/1111/1225925640939.html

Although it is only talking about the medical card scheme, I think it may be extended to the Drugs Refund Scheme also as it otherwise causes a "major" two-tier system. Also currently as I understand it, GMS patients aren't eligible to use the Drugs Refund Scheme so technically if they want to go outside it to try a drug, they might have to pay the full price. So it might work out better in some circumstances for some people to give up their GMS card if say there was somebody else in their household who was also getting drugs regularly!

Not sure what to do to try to change the moves.

One thing could be to write a letter to the Irish Times Health Supplement:
    healthsupplement@irish-times.ie
    - the more letters they get, the more likely they are to print one or more.

I've watched so-called "evidence-based medicine" in "action" in the UK (following it in the media, on discussion forms, etc) with NICE and the like and it's very frustrating.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭kangaroo

(Not a major point but something that popped into my head)

I wonder would there be many instances where this might affect diagnosis?
    For example, I think some doctors may use antidepressants to see if somebody has depression i.e. if it works, that's what the patient probably has. I've a vague impression doctors do this in other situations. Anyway not the main reason I'm annoyed.

I remember one doctor did a small trial of immunoglobulin on 10 or so people with ME/CFS. One person who had been ill for many years fully recovered. However "on average" the effect wasn't that big so it would not be seen as an "evidence-based medication". Probably not the best example either of the problems that may be caused but it was in my head.

Advertisement