Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Copyright quickie question

Options
  • 26-11-2008 12:03am
    Registered Users Posts: 398 ✭✭

Hi,
    can anyone give insight to the following - I've recorded a video clip of performers doing dance routine at recent company event. Anyone know who owns the copyright of the clip? i.e. Me for recording it, or the performers for performing on it? The performers were aware that the event was being recorded.
    cheers,
    Reece

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,187 ✭✭✭keefg

reece wrote: »
    Hi,
    can anyone give insight to the following - I've recorded a video clip of performers doing dance routine at recent company event. Anyone know who owns the copyright of the clip? i.e. Me for recording it, or the performers for performing on it? The performers were aware that the event was being recorded.
    cheers,
    Reece

Hi Reece,

Unless you have agreed it beforehand in a contract, the photo/videographer (in this case, you) own the copyright for all their work.

Just remember though, if you have filmed something that includes any music you do not own the copyright to that music and you should get permission to use it if you are going to publish your recording on the web/tv/DVD or whatever.

• Registered Users Posts: 398 ✭✭reece

cheers, am in a tricky situation at the moment where a production company wants to use the clip but the performer wants to cash in on it - I had offered it for free

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭decob

But if he was paid by the event organisers to video the event... they would own the copyright, no?

decob wrote: »
    But if he was paid by the event organisers to video the event... they would own the copyright, no?

It doesn't matter who paid what to who.

If a contract or some sort of agreement was not in place before the shoot as to ownership of the finished material then the ownership belongs to the photo/videographer.

Unless contracted beforehand all the event organisers have paid for is a copy of the finished video, what the cameraman does with the master is his business.

I film commercials for clients but my T&C's state that I retain copyright of all material which I then use to further promote my business. If one of my clients decide that they don't want their film to be used elsewhere then they are more than welcome to purchase the rights off me.

• Registered Users Posts: 398 ✭✭reece

Thanks for the sound advice. What camera do you use to shoot commercials btw? (sorry for going off point)
    keefg wrote: »
    I film commercials for clients but my T&C's state that I retain copyright of all material which I then use to further promote my business. If one of my clients decide that they don't want their film to be used elsewhere then they are more than welcome to purchase the rights off me.

• Advertisement

reece wrote: »
    Thanks for the sound advice. What camera do you use to shoot commercials btw? (sorry for going off point)

I use a variety of camera depending on the job.

Advertisement