Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Santa Clause*

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,245 ✭✭✭✭Fanny Cradock

Our very own Holden! My tip is to always pay the prostitute more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

Interesting. Care to elaborate?

Hmm I never thought it was my beliefs in monogamy that was going to be called upon! :) Now Im no expert in the history of human mating patterns. I simply meant that (western) society mostly expects people to enter monogamous relationships. Im open in my polygamous beliefs but most people quiz me about it, like yourself. Mostly in disbelief. Simply put my gut desires are never towards a monogamous relationship therefore why should I lie to myself and put myself in one?

Anywho I dont expect you to understand and it was only a comment to point out how unlikely it is for me to have a child, explaining why I hadn't given thought to the OP's issue before.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭ChocolateSauce

I find one crucial difference is that when a child asks a parent "Is Santa real?" in a serious manner, the parent admits no. The same is not true when the child asks is god real. The difference isn't in the plausibility of Santa and god, but in whether or not the parents believe it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

Dades wrote: »
    He's just read Catcher in the Rye. ;)

Im afraid I never have but I did recently listen to the new Guns N Roses album that has a cover of it on it :D

http://www.metrolyrics.com/catcher-in-the-rye-lyrics-guns-n-roses.html

Edit: I quite liked it by the way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭Rev. Kitchen

Whats all this about there being no santa ??? :(

Am i not going to get my red bike ? will i just take the helmet back now so ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 408 ✭✭gramlab

I'm not so sure about that I find it can be very isolating and a lot of pressure is put on people to hold up an idea.

I mean harmless in the sense that it does a child no damage. True, its not a happy time for some and very difficult for others. I think people tend to be a bit nicer, more charitable etc around xmas. Probably should be all year round but thats another story.

Maybe I've got a rose tinted view looking back at my own childhood. The excitement, things you only got at that time of year etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,825 ✭✭✭Gambler

Hehe this is actually a discussion I've had a few times with my wife. At some stage we are going to have kids and there has been a lot of discussion about santa and what to do.

I was raised knowing that there was no such thing as santa and personally I don't think it did me any harm at all. The closest to trouble we ever had as a result in school was when my sister refused to admit that Jesus was still alive?!?

We were always told growing up that it was important that we didn't tell any of the other children about Santa and that was fair enough. However from my wifes point of view she's horrified at my whole attitude to christmas (to me it's just like a bank holiday, a day off but with lots of repeated movies on tv..) and she thinks it's cruelty to children to not have santa (I still wonder how all the Jewish, Muslim etc. etc. kids cope with that cruelty but hey..)

When it comes to our kids I am willing to celebrate christmas (with santa) because I don't think it will do any irreparable damage but I will be raising them to be critical thinkers and to know that when the time comes they can choose what (if anything) they want to believe about god.

Advertisement