Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Help - trying to buy an Xbox - v.confused

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭Bolgey

game are doing a great bundle atm, you get an xbox pro with GOW 1,2 and farcry 2 for 265 euro.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭hokeypokey

amacachi wrote: »
    Fair enough, decent bundle though?

na theres nat really any good bundles, but all games are around a tenar cheaper on average.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

Good bundle in Smith's as mentioned earlier in the thread. If you're gonna be up North then it's worth getting the games there, but for the console I wouldn't bother. Any problems and the saving is lost on petrol, let alone the hassle.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭nigeloconnor

Hi all,

I am thinking of getting an Xbox too for Christmas and have read everyones comments, I think Game or Smyths have the best bundle at the moment.. Just called Smyths there and they have a 60GB with extra controller and 6 games for €300, Game have 2 controllers and 4 games for €259, dont know what the games are though, they said games of their choice..

I have a question also.. Is it possible to plug a USB Hardrive into the Xbox and play movies?

Thanks to all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭koHd

I have a question also.. Is it possible to plug a USB Hardrive into the Xbox and play movies?

Thanks to all.

Yes that is possible.

You can also stream directly from your PC or laptop to the Xbox with an ethernet wire. This allows you to watch internet tv on your tv, via the Xbox.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭nigeloconnor

Will any XBOX allow harddrives to be plugged in and played? As in do you need Xbox Pro or elite to do this?

Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 512 ✭✭✭ROC1977

all 360's work the same. WMV or AVI/DIVX only will play on the 360 unless you transcode via your PC with Tversity.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,399 ✭✭✭jonski

Smyths have a deal of an Xbox 360 pro 60 gb hd extra wireless controller , halo 3 , pgr4 ,gow , forza 2 plus something about 2 €5 vouchers with loyalty card for €279.99 .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭thebigcheese22

jonski wrote: »
    Smyths have a deal of an Xbox 360 pro 60 gb hd extra wireless controller , halo 3 , pgr4 ,gow , forza 2 plus something about 2 €5 vouchers with loyalty card for €279.99 .

Does anyone know if you can put down a deposit for an Xbox in Smiths? i know ya cant in game or gamestop. And also when dya think i shud buy one before they all sell out?! :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

Does anyone know if you can put down a deposit for an Xbox in Smiths? i know ya cant in game or gamestop. And also when dya think i shud buy one before they all sell out?! :confused:

I'd be very surprised if they all sell out.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

nah ya cant bud. I annoyed me girlfriend so much that she gave me my xbox 360 a few days ago instead of christmas, she said that she asked in smyths could she book it or put a deposit on it cos it asnt in the first time she went in and me man said no.

regarding the wireless adapter for it. If you have wireless on your PC and have a laptop you can use the laptop to bridge the connection to your Xbox :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭thebigcheese22

Right I've pestered the old folks to buy it this week so no need to buy a deposit :P God i love Christmas... :D

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭duffmagic

Hi,

I'm finally thinking about upgrading my previous generation xbox with the 360. Obviously I'm both poor and not too avid a gamer.

I found with my old one, i got a rake of games but invariable got bored of all but Halo(1/2) within a week. For that reason, I don't value these bundles with 4+ games of varying genres. I've decided that my new game of choice (singular) is likely to be, in descending order:
    • Call Of Duty:World at War (maybe an older version is better?)
    • Gears Of War
    • Halo 3
    Can anyone else who exclusively plays FPSs, recommend one of the above?

Also, I'm assuming the minimum hardware I need is the Pro with 2 controllers.

Can anyone point me in the direction of a suitable package deal? Perhaps my best option is to get a basic Pro package including 2nd controller and buy the game with the vouchers that usually come therein?

Thanks in advance!

call of duty 4 is the best FPS on the 360. I'm not a big fan of Halo but some/alot swear by it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭mcgovern

ROC1977 wrote: »
    all 360's work the same. WMV or AVI/DIVX only will play on the 360 unless you transcode via your PC with Tversity.

It will also play some HD formats as well as those.

But if you are hoping to plug in a hard drive direct and play from that, it must be formatted to FAT32, the 360 will not recognise an NTFS drive. You can of course stream the data from an NTFS drive through a PC/laptop to the 360 no problem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭Wetbench4

Whatever you do, don't waste your money on the official 360 wireless adapter. I got a Belkin wireless gaming adapter for half the price and it works perfectly with the 360 and xbox live. I also use it with TVersity to stream my music and movies downstairs to the xbox. Never had a single problem in the year and half i have it.

http://www.elara.ie/products/detailsfull.asp?productcode=ECE917322

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭rg2007

duffmagic wrote: »
    Hi,

I'm finally thinking about upgrading my previous generation xbox with the 360. Obviously I'm both poor and not too avid a gamer.

I found with my old one, i got a rake of games but invariable got bored of all but Halo(1/2) within a week. For that reason, I don't value these bundles with 4+ games of varying genres. I've decided that my new game of choice (singular) is likely to be, in descending order:
    • Call Of Duty:World at War (maybe an older version is better?)
    • Gears Of War
    • Halo 3
    Can anyone else who exclusively plays FPSs, recommend one of the above?

Also, I'm assuming the minimum hardware I need is the Pro with 2 controllers.

Can anyone point me in the direction of a suitable package deal? Perhaps my best option is to get a basic Pro package including 2nd controller and buy the game with the vouchers that usually come therein?

Thanks in advance!

halo 3 and gears of war are great fun, but not many play gears online any more, and the campaign is very short but good, havent played 2 so i wont comment, but ill be getting it for christmas! halo 3 is great fun online and the campaign is spot on! but call of duty 4 is the best game on xbox 360, its amazing, youll get addicted in a heartbeat to its online and the campaign is excellent, game of choice for a lot of people, and world at war is no way as good. as for bundles i wouldnt know, smyths and game would have the best though

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭duffmagic

Thanks for the advice rg2007. I'll definitely be getting COD4. I may also get Halo3 just for the co-op and offline head to head.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

duffmagic wrote: »
    Thanks for the advice rg2007. I'll definitely be getting COD4. I may also get Halo3 just for the co-op and offline head to head.

cod4 is a no brainer, so addictive, i still have non-gamer friends knocking over to play it online - my rep takes a bit of a hit coz they suck but it's all in good fun! halo 3 is excellent, never bothered going online though, maybe someday. . .
    pick up a copy of gears 1 on the cheap, it has to be experienced, it was a cornerstone achievement in the life of the 360. then splash out on gears 2, it's epic, campaign is very good, i can't stop playing horde now, haven't even tried the other modes yet

happy gaming, you won't be disappointed

Halo 3 is an average game at best. Graphics are ok , gameplay nothing new, finished the game and never played it since. COD4 much better FPS. Like the lads said COD4 is the best FPS on the 360. I wouldn't go as far as saying the best game, but def the best FPS. Then you have the Orange box which is a must buy for FPS fans.

For me best games on the 360 are COD4, Soul calibur 2, Prince of Persia, Fifa 09, Dirt, Gears of War 2, Bioshock, Rockband1/2, Guitar hero 2.

Thats to name a few. 360 has loads of top titles compared to any other system.

Never mentioned one FPS which I don't think anyone else has recommended. LEFT 4 DEAD. top 4 player CO OP multiplayer game, or even CODWaW.

• Advertisement

ROC1977 wrote: »
    Never mentioned one FPS which I don't think anyone else has recommended. LEFT 4 DEAD. top 4 player CO OP multiplayer game, or even CODWaW.

yeah i heard left 4 dead was supposed to be amazing, might give it a go after christmas, i know valve are amazing, looking at counter strike source and orange box

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Zonda999

COD4 appears to be coming down in price too. I never got it last year but have been looking to get a good deal recently. Didnt do a whole lot of looking but the cheapest i could find it was 40E!!! For a year old game. FFS!!

Anyway, was in GAME in Mahon point on Monday. Was browsing in the pre-owned section and managed to see it for 15e!! Brought it to the till expecting it to be a misprice but happily it was'nt. Not gonna play til after my exAMS(:() but i'm expectin to be amazed after hearing so much about it on Boards:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭SRFC90

Sorry to drag up an old thread, but I'm getting an Xbox Pro for Crimbo!

I'll be using her downstairs, have wireless in the house, and will intend on playing online from downstairs. Whats your advice people?? Get this wireless adaptor/cable thing or not. What do I need to do? I'm new to all this!

Thanks a million:)

depends where your router is, you can easily come across 10 m ethernet cables to plug directly into it, but any longer are difficult, i use a wireless adapter i got in game for 55, and im sure theyll come down in price after christmas, or get one with the xbox. the adapter for me is really good, my router is 2 floors down and i get perfect online, without any lag pretty much all the time, unless someone is downloading music on a computer, id deffo recomend it

rg2007 wrote: »
    depends where your router is, you can easily come across 10 m ethernet cables to plug directly into it, but any longer are difficult, i use a wireless adapter i got in game for 55, and im sure theyll come down in price after christmas, or get one with the xbox. the adapter for me is really good, my router is 2 floors down and i get perfect online, without any lag pretty much all the time, unless someone is downloading music on a computer, id deffo recomend it

Well it's upstairs and the room nearest the stairs. It'd probs be easier to just get the adaptor. Is it included when you buy Xbox Pro?? Like in the package or will I have to fork out more to get it?

Nah, the adapter is sold separately and its pricey enough €70-90 depending where you go, game had an offer on a while back and i got mine for 55, the ethernets cheaper, and it really depends on where your router is,but regarding handiness and easiness the wireless is definitely worth it, i think it comes with 3 months of gold as well, but don't quote me on that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,875 ✭✭✭ShoulderChip

just to clarify g2007's point the ethernet way is free

you just need a cable which you can pick up for less than a euro online or about five-15 in shops depending on how consumer savy you are.

just to clarify g2007's point the ethernet way is free

you just need a cable which you can pick up for less than a euro online or about five-15 in shops depending on how consumer savy you are.

Stupid question coming up....:D

I assume this ethernet thing is the wire that would go from the Xbox to my router doing the same job as the adapter?

If so, I'd have to buy this? It don't come free with the package?

And what do you mean "it's free"?

all xbox packages come with an ethernet cable(except the arcade methinks), but its only 1-2 metres so only useful if your router is right beside the xbox, otherwise you gotta get a longer cable

• Advertisement

oh sorry, meant the ethernet cable comes free in the box, so you dont have to shelve out €70 for an adapter to connect to get online (also its €60 for a years live gold subscription which you need for multiplayer, but when you first go online, you get a month free)

Advertisement