Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NOT looking foreward to college

Options
  • 26-11-2008 12:30am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,410 ✭✭✭

so sitting in school today everyone was talking about cao choices and how much theyre dying to get out of school and go to college.this got me thinking im not looking foreward to it one bit!
    theres no courses i can get that i want to study,dreading making new friends and i cant see me fitting into college.:(

that being said i know i probably will enjoy it when i go but right now its more or an ominous cloud the the light at the end of the tunnel.

am i the only one?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

I get were you're coming from, but i couldnt want to be out of school anymore :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,410 ✭✭✭Aisling(",)

yeah im dying to leave but im just not looking foreward to the new start.
    hope its just a phase though

• Registered Users Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭PurpleFistMixer

Well, I'm pretty pro-college myself, but you don't HAVE to go. There are other options if you're really not into it...

That said, I've found making friends easier in college than it was in secondary school. Of course, being a nerd I'm in my element around other nerds in college, but there are so many different people there with different interests, and you can meet them through society events etc., you're bound to find people you share common ground with. And remember that starting in college the majority of people are in the same boat - been thrown into this college thing and they don't really know anyone either, so everyone's eager to make new friends.

Also, there's something on every night of the week. I'm doing Theoretical Physics which is pretty high on the old nerdometer, but our class has had parties almost every wednesday night since college started, so I'd be scared to think of what other courses are like. The SU sends out an email... possibly every week telling everyone what new things are on that week, and that's not even counting stuff the societies are up to. I'm biased due to going there admittedly, but TCD has something like 100 societies, many of which meet weekly, so even if you wanted to you couldn't go to everything.

I wouldn't worry about fitting in and making friends if I were you... if you can find some kind of course that interests you, work hard in LC and get your place, then go into college as yourself, talk to new people, do new things, get involved in stuff, then it'll all follow naturally.

</college pimping>

• Closed Accounts Posts: 911 ✭✭✭Beau x1

I can't wait to leave myself. I guess I will miss some things, though.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,420 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

You think it's bad now, wait until your college career starts to wind to a close, and your next step is 'the real world.'

You'll enjoy college. Everyone does. It's the rest of your life that'll suck!

NTM

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,066 ✭✭✭Sea Devils

Have to say at the moment I'm having a good experience in College but at the moment I know Friends who have dropped out partly because the course may have not been to their liking or even because they weren't used to the workload!

It's worth remembering that College isn't for everyone but there will always will be some sort of backdoor to get to where you want to go

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭KnifeWRENCH

College is what you make it, really.
    I'm not a "party person" - I don't particularly like clubs and I very rarely drink (unlike your good self! :P). I generally find it hard to make friends too.

But the thing about college is that in most cases, everyone starting a course is a complete stranger to each other. Everyone will be nervous, anxious to make friends. If you just get talking to a couple of people in the first few lectures, you'll be surprised how quickly you get to know each other.

As for picking a course, there are loads of people who have no idea what they want. I'm into my 2nd year and I have absolutely no idea what I want to do with my degree, or even if I want to do something related to my degree.
    The best thing for you to do is browse through as many college prospectuses and websites you can find. There'll surely be something somewhere that will stand out. If you end up doing a course you don't like, you can always drop out.

College is a great experience, but it's NOT compulsory. If you don't want to go to college, there are plenty of other routes for you to take.
    Your CAO doesn't have to be filled for a little while yet - use the time you have to carefully consider your options. Talk to your school's careers counsellor if they're any good (if they're not, just keep asking here! :))

That said, I've found making friends easier in college than it was in secondary school. Of course, being a nerd I'm in my element around other nerds in college, but there are so many different people there with different interests, and you can meet them through society events etc., you're bound to find people you share common ground with. And remember that starting in college the majority of people are in the same boat - been thrown into this college thing and they don't really know anyone either, so everyone's eager to make new friends.

That's what I'm hoping for anyway, I love science and well to say I have a different taste in music to the vast majority of my year would be a bit of an understatement (Carcass is on in the backround at the moment). So I'd be lying if I said I fit in, (That said I quite like it this year) so i kinda half expect, people who do Science in 3rd level, to generally not be of the rugby jock mentality, ya know?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭KnifeWRENCH

Fad wrote: »
    That's what I'm hoping for anyway, I love science and well to say I have a different taste in music to the vast majority of my year would be a bit of an understatement (Carcass is on in the backround at the moment). So I'd be lying if I said I fit in, (That said I quite like it this year) so i kinda half expect, people who do Science in 3rd level, to generally not be of the rugby jock mentality, ya know?

You'll get all sorts of characters doing Science - there'll prob. be some "jock" types, but you don't have to be friends with them if you don't want! :D A lot of Science students are really cool, down to earth people. The "nerd" stereotype hardly ever applies either (unless you do Computer Science! :pac:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 233 ✭✭cmcsoft

There is something for everyone in College....if you want to give it a go. I wouldn't try to talk anyone into going but there is so many choices now that you will find domething to do....somewhere!

As for making new friends, that will come too. When I started college all my friends had gone to a different one so I was starting from scratch and I loved it (and I would consider myself quite shy) so don't worry about it.....just enjoy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,407 ✭✭✭✭justsomebloke

hey I am going to scary old man here and say there has never been a better time to go to college. With the economy all over the place, decent jobs maybe very hard to come by if you were to take a year out.

However you say there is no course you like that you can get, why what is the problem is it points? if so you could always repeat the leaving next year and try and get the course you want. hell some of my friends went to college, then quit after 1st year and went back to leaving to get the course they wanted.

Anyway other then that you will be fine in college yes it maybe seem big and scary now but trust me some of the best moments on your life await you there

You'll get all sorts of characters doing Science - there'll prob. be some "jock" types, but you don't have to be friends with them if you don't want! :D A lot of Science students are really cool, down to earth people. The "nerd" stereotype hardly ever applies either (unless you do Computer Science! :pac:)

Well allow me to be a little less subtle with what I meant, in my school on average 60% go on to UCD, I'd say about 10% go to Private colleges and the rest will end up in TCD or elsewhere in the country. I doubt I'll be sharing Science in TCD with any from my year.

I dont hate jock types in general, theres just a specific few I intensely dislike (For numerous reasons) and would be delighted if I never have to see them again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 310 ✭✭rvd156

Just remember that everyone is in the same boat as you starting college...

It's a new start for everyone and I know it can be a bit daunting but once you get settled you should find yourself falling into your own groups at college...

Be yourself and you will be fine!!

Best of luck in College!!

• Registered Users Posts: 929 ✭✭✭TheCardHolder

Im so pumped for college,its all thats getting me through this year,well that and ****** !:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭Monkey61

I just thought I'd throw my 2 cents in on this one. I absolutely hated college! Dropped out the first time, then went back and finished my degree, dropped out of a masters and am now starting another degree via distance learning...

The best advice I can give anyone is to make sure that you pick a course that you will enjoy or that you have valid reasons for wanting a career in. Don't just do anything for the hell of it. Consider what your course will involve and how many hours you will be spending in classes etc.

Go to open days and speak to people who already do the course you want to do. Find out as much info as you possibly can.

On the plus side though, meeting new friends is great and very very easy. The social aspect can be as wonderful as you make it. Fitting in really depends on where you go and what you do. Be careful though. I originally turned down the subject that I am doing now cos I didn't think I would fit in with the type of people that were doing it. It was probably true...but it was a very silly reason as you meet plenty of people in different courses anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,626 ✭✭✭timmywex

Cant fricken wait ofr college.

but i do love my school, so ill miss it always, not the works aspect, the atmosphere and craic around the place. Oh well, college=fredom=more drunkness every night

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭ConmanTheKiller

Can`t wait to finish school, but i`ll defo miss my school what with that poker game i had in a free english class.

Physics high FIVE!! (I know, I`m a nerd) :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭LivingDeadGirl

Fad wrote: »

Carcass ftw!! :D

But yeah, not looking forward to it in a way, I find it hard to make new friends as I'm quite nervous and shy around new people....

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭DenMan

Hi Aisling

What do you like doing? If you have an idea of what is best for you then go for it. Don't worry about making new friends? You will, trust me. Go for it. You will not be disappointed

• Registered Users Posts: 6,124 ✭✭✭wolfpawnat

Hey, thought I would put my 2 cents in.:)

I am in College, however I am just a first year at the ripe old age of 21! 90% of my fellow students are 17 and 18 years old.
    The reason I am only in 1st year at 21 is, I sincerely did not know what to do with my life. My school and family were pressurizing me to do this and to do that and all I could think is when do I get to actually think about what I want.

I filled out the CAO 3 years in a row and for 2 of those years I put down random courses cause I hadnt a clue what I wanted to do, I even repeated my Leaving Cert to try and give myself another year to think about it!

I have to say, do not rush into anything. My boyfriend did an arts degree because he didnt know what to do with himself and then when he finiched it and actually had a chance to do whatever he wanted, he decided to go back into college and study again, only now it costs him €10,000 a year in fees AND he has no grants!!!

If you want to take time to think, my suggestion is fill out a CAO (just in case) you dont even have to put down anything in particular now, you have until July 1st to change it, and look at propectus's to see if there is anything that suits you in a field you have not considered.

Don't rush into anything, I took 3 and a half years to decide what I want and I am now studying it and I love it, because I didnt rush into anything.

Good luck:)

• Advertisement

Carcass ftw!! :D

Prince now :D

(I listen to nearly everything, but metal holds a dominant rotation on my iPod)

DenMan wrote: »
    Hi Aisling

What do you like doing? If you have an idea of what is best for you then go for it. Don't worry about making new friends? You will, trust me. Go for it. You will not be disappointed

well my main interests are my stage school and horse riding neither of which really provide career opertunities.id love to do the performing arts degree in sligo it but my mam and dad said they wont pay for me to do it and as ive no job or indpendant income thats useless.

my dream career is vetinary medicine but im not able to get the points no matter how hard i study,ive looked into the back route into it by doing a science degree then gong into medicine but im already finding leaving cert chemistry immpossible so that options out.

i just need somthing i really want to do but none of the careers id like are achieveable.and im scared now.:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,641 ✭✭✭andyman

I'm the only person in my year (that I know of) that has put a course in DCU as 1st choice. I could very well be in the same boat.

Having said that, I can't wait for college!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 233 ✭✭cmcsoft

well my main interests are my stage school and horse riding neither of which really provide career opertunities.id love to do the performing arts degree in sligo it but my mam and dad said they wont pay for me to do it and as ive no job or indpendant income thats useless.

my dream career is vetinary medicine but im not able to get the points no matter how hard i study,ive looked into the back route into it by doing a science degree then gong into medicine but im already finding leaving cert chemistry immpossible so that options out.

i just need somthing i really want to do but none of the careers id like are achieveable.and im scared now.:(

If you really want to do veterinary medicine you could look at the UK route. A friend of mine did theirs over there and I remember him saying that the entry requirements were much lower. It's worth a look anyway

cmcsoft wrote: »
    If you really want to do veterinary medicine you could look at the UK route. A friend of mine did theirs over there and I remember him saying that the entry requirements were much lower. It's worth a look anyway

ive not really tried looking at the ucas route but my family are very against me going off on my own.do you know where i can find out about it?

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭karma403

I did the leaving cert in 2004 and decided to pick theology in Maynooth. I felt like I had to go to uni.. that it was the only way to achieve anything or be something. Unfortunately for me, Maynooth didn't work out. I left after 6 weeks and I felt worthless, like I wasn't as good as everyone else in my year. It's been difficult to shake those feelings off. Anyways since then I've taken things much slower, I've discovered an interest in computers which I never had the opportunity to do at school. I'm doing a certificate in computing part time and next year I plan on going back to do a degree. :D (Bricking it, but doing it anyways)

If you decide to do a "sensible course" asin something your parents are more keen on, consider picking a certificate in that area. The course will be shorter, so if you hate it you'll get through it quicker. and then afterwards you could do what you actually want. :p
    You said your parents wont support you financially if you follow the drama route.. you could go to citizens advice to see if it's possible for you to be considered for a grant. A grant takes into account your parents income but if you can prove they aren't going to support you then you may be entitled to one.

I wish you lots of luck and if things dont go as planned dont do as I did and feel a "failure" Making these sorts of decisions is very difficult for us all..

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭DenMan

Ask your guidance counsellor Aisling. That't what they are there for. You have options of going both through the CAO and UCAS routes. Ask them and find out.

ive not really tried looking at the ucas route but my family are very against me going off on my own.do you know where i can find out about it?

Deadline has passed for Vetinary this year, but UCAS Website

• Registered Users Posts: 3,008 ✭✭✭colly10

so sitting in school today everyone was talking about cao choices and how much theyre dying to get out of school and go to college.this got me thinking im not looking foreward to it one bit!
    theres no courses i can get that i want to study,dreading making new friends and i cant see me fitting into college.:(

that being said i know i probably will enjoy it when i go but right now its more or an ominous cloud the the light at the end of the tunnel.

am i the only one?

College is good craic and you may not make friends right away but you will without much effort, it's easier to make friends in college cause people seem to be more accepting of each other than school days and with all the clubs and socs it's easy to find people that share your interest.
    Get out on the nights out early if ye can, ye get to know more people on one night out than days in the course

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭karma403

do you know where i can find out about it?

This link would be a start. It (hopefully) will show vetinary medicine courses in the UK. http://search.ucas.co.uk/cgi-bin/hsrun/search/search/StateId/DDgPrwbjIwqK-fTKbb39iJ-oTJ_ks-U48E/HAHTpage/search.HsKeywordSuggestion.whereNext?query=1609&word=VETERINARY+MEDICINE&single=N There are lots of other vetinary courses but those are specifically medicine ones. The UCAS website has a search by subject option. Your guidance councellor at school should also be able to help you find info on UK universities. Where I went to school, the majority of people choose to go to Uni in Northern Ireland so we knew all about UCAS. But I know that schools further away from the border tend not to consider it so much.

Advertisement