Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NOT looking foreward to college

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,410 ✭✭✭Aisling(",)

karma403 wrote: »
    This link would be a start. It (hopefully) will show vetinary medicine courses in the UK. http://search.ucas.co.uk/cgi-bin/hsrun/search/search/StateId/DDgPrwbjIwqK-fTKbb39iJ-oTJ_ks-U48E/HAHTpage/search.HsKeywordSuggestion.whereNext?query=1609&word=VETERINARY+MEDICINE&single=N There are lots of other vetinary courses but those are specifically medicine ones. The UCAS website has a search by subject option. Your guidance councellor at school should also be able to help you find info on UK universities. Where I went to school, the majority of people choose to go to Uni in Northern Ireland so we knew all about UCAS. But I know that schools further away from the border tend not to consider it so much.
    aye my guidence teacher never even mentioned it as an option to me during the individual meeting.then again she isnt the best shes not even half way through the interviews which she said would be done by halloween
    Fad wrote: »
    Deadline has passed for Vetinary this year, but UCAS Website
    oh well then thats useless ha
    thanks though:)
    DenMan wrote: »
    Ask your guidance counsellor Aisling. That't what they are there for. You have options of going both through the CAO and UCAS routes. Ask them and find out.
    mines kinda fairly useless.she said i should go for medicine even though at my highest ill only get 450 points and that aint even realistic.shes cracked
    karma403 wrote: »
    If you decide to do a "sensible course" asin something your parents are more keen on, consider picking a certificate in that area. The course will be shorter, so if you hate it you'll get through it quicker. and then afterwards you could do what you actually want. :p
    You said your parents wont support you financially if you follow the drama route.. you could go to citizens advice to see if it's possible for you to be considered for a grant. A grant takes into account your parents income but if you can prove they aren't going to support you then you may be entitled to one. .
    id enver jsut pick something because my parents wanted me to do it.tbh i think im making them out to sound worse then they are.they said theyd let me do a plc in performing arts in the local community college but the other course just seems so much better.only thing is i think i want to do it because id like it but i know myself i wouldnt go anywhere out of it.
    colly10 wrote: »
    College is good craic and you may not make friends right away but you will without much effort, it's easier to make friends in college cause people seem to be more accepting of each other than school days and with all the clubs and socs it's easy to find people that share your interest.
    Get out on the nights out early if ye can, ye get to know more people on one night out than days in the course
    im hoping so now.
    like if i stay within dublin chances are ill know people in any of the courses i choose.im hoping that when it comes down to it ill enjoy it and im jsut praying it isnt half as cliquey as school is now.that kills me!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 435 ✭✭~Candy~

yea, its scary to be tnking to going to dublin on my own...while all my friends stays in cork =( ...i will prob end up with no friend and being a loner!! lol

but at the sametime, i can't w8 to get out of school

~Candy~ wrote: »
    yea, its scary to be tnking to going to dublin on my own...while all my friends stays in cork =( ...i will prob end up with no friend and being a loner!! lol

im sure you'll be grand.its really brave to leave everythign you know.
    im lucky in the fact that theres loads of colleges around in dublin.
    im sure youll make new friends in no time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 435 ✭✭~Candy~

im sure you'll be grand.its really brave to leave everythign you know.
    im lucky in the fact that theres loads of colleges around in dublin.
    im sure youll make new friends in no time.

aww thanks hun!! best of luck to u too..
    well yea, sure i guess i can't be too bad like, since i have even moved country before, had to start form 0 back then ...so yea..

aww thanks hun!! best of luck to u too..
    well yea, sure i guess i can't be too bad like, since i have even moved country before, had to start form 0 back then ...so yea..

ouch!ive never even had to move house!
    and i know all but one of my girl friends since im 4.hope college is fun now
    getting hopeful:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭bythewoods

I'm sure it'll be a lot better than you expect!
    I started in a new school in an entirely different county- even provence- this year to repeat and I knew NOBODY... I know it's not the same thing but I see where you're coming from. It was actually grand, and it'll be so much easier in college seeing as everyone else won't have already known each other for 5 years already!
    (Y)

Anyway, in regard to courses, if ity's drama and horses you like why not look at courses like ...
    Drama & English in UCD (http://www.qualifax.ie/?Mainsec=courses&Subsec=course_details&ID=34309&CSH_ID=4),
    Equine Science in UL ( http://www.qualifax.ie/?Mainsec=courses&Subsec=course_details&ID=3297&CSH_ID=4) or
    Equine Science in UCD (http://www.qualifax.ie/?Mainsec=courses&Subsec=course_details&ID=21964&CSH_ID=4).

• Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

well my main interests are my stage school and horse riding neither of which really provide career opertunities.id love to do the performing arts degree in sligo it but my mam and dad said they wont pay for me to do it and as ive no job or indpendant income thats useless.

my dream career is vetinary medicine but im not able to get the points no matter how hard i study,ive looked into the back route into it by doing a science degree then gong into medicine but im already finding leaving cert chemistry immpossible so that options out.

i just need somthing i really want to do but none of the careers id like are achieveable.and im scared now.:(

You might be interested in Equine Business in Maynooth, it's the business of all things to do with horses, might be a good thing to do as it's a "sensible" degree but aimed at an area you're interested in.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,124 ✭✭✭wolfpawnat

Hey Candy, Don't worry, I went to UCD and all my friends are in UCC, CIT, IT Tralee and UL. I came up here with non of my friends and had to learn how to get to college by myself and how to get around Dublin. I am not very outgoing and I am not as sociable as others and I was terrified of not making any friends.

I needn't have worried, I have now got plenty of friends in my course and I know my way around pretty well now You have to remember that most people who choose a certain course are alike in some way even if its just a love of science for example!

You are very brave to come up here alone, I kow exactly how you are feeling as I really wanted to have the comfort of my friends but to do the course I wanted I had no choice but to leave my comfort zone and lthough I didnt talk to anyone for a while, I don't regret my decision to come here in the slightest:D

• Registered Users Posts: 929 ✭✭✭TheCardHolder

If your interested in stage school you should take a look at Communication Studies in DcU,theres a thread in the college section about it.

Im most likely doing it and it would be great to have a fellow forum member on the course!:P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭whiteandlight

Don't stress about it. I was terrified going to college, in fact my parents dropped me up on sunday and I ended up going home with them again until the wednesday (I lived in Mayo, college was in NUIM!). Having said that it has been the best experience of my life. My advice would be attend freshers week and joing a society!
    When it comes to course choice I have to disagree slightly with a previous poster on the value of an arts degree. If you choose subjects you like and can achieve at a 1:1 in an arts degree is great to have under your belt. However despite what you hear I would work in your arts degree and ensure you get a high grade. I was also going to suggest equine science/business or if you are interested maybe a full business course as that would help either in the equine industry or in business itself. As regards the drama, remember pretty much every college in the country has a drama society. I have spent the last 5 years as a member of the maynooth one-was on the committee at one stage. I got a ton of experience and gained a load of confidence!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 422 ✭✭Ckal

I was in the same situation as the OP. I hated school and the thought of going to college was terrifying. I wasn't popular in school and I never really fit in. I had rumors spread about me and of course everybody believed them, so I just wanted to get out. I was delighted when I finished the LC.

Now I'm on a year out. I'm working a bit and I'm reapplying for college. I've got a few level 7s down.

There is no rush on applying for college. And you don't even have to go to college! But if you think it's better if you do, take your time making the decision. Don't rush into anything because you might hate it and you'll end up dropping out in your second year.

I think the best thing to do is (if you're really unsure) is take a year out, get a job, and really search for a good course. I wasn't attracted to any courses AT ALL. But I recently found a few that I may be interested in. So if you do take that year out, take a few hours out of your day to research college. And if you don't want to go to college, then plan something else. But the main thing if you're taking a year out is to get a job. You'll go mad if you are sitting around doing nothing. Your brain will melt. I only have about 2 hours work every few days as it's the only job I can find. But it keeps me going and it keeps me sane.

Also, don't be afraid the apply for level 7 courses. I didn't get a lot of points, so level 7 is more or less the highest I can go. But it's just as good as a level 8. I know a few people who have a level 7 and they're quite successful.

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭SilverSparkle

I hate college.
    Im the only one in my county doing my course.
    And there are more international students than Irish students.
    I hate being away from home.
    Im no longer interested in my course or the career at th end of it.
    I do not want to go abroad for a year which is part of the course.

I sound so negative but im not enjoying myself.
    Im afraid ill rub myself into a hole.
    Im such a home girl and im not ready for this change yet.
    However, im having trouble conveying to my parents how unhappy i am

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭chops1990

I done **** at school, got crappy points.Obviously I didnt go to college and things are a lot ****ing harder for me as a result. I cant get any jobs, the only qualification I've got is the leaving cert. I started smoking weed after school, and now I'm thinking of getting into dealing as I cant find any legit jobs that I've got the qualifactions for. So I'd say go to college :D.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,124 ✭✭✭wolfpawnat

I hate college.
    Im the only one in my county doing my course.
    And there are more international students than Irish students.
    I hate being away from home.
    Im no longer interested in my course or the career at th end of it.
    I do not want to go abroad for a year which is part of the course.

I sound so negative but im not enjoying myself.
    Im afraid ill rub myself into a hole.
    Im such a home girl and im not ready for this change yet.
    However, im having trouble conveying to my parents how unhappy i am

Ok I have to ask, by any chance are you in the Royal College of Surgeons, because if you are then believe me you are as good as alone in that place, bunch of pansies the lot of them, sorry just 90% of them are ****!

Moving away from home is hard for some people, none of my friends are in Dublin. Parents can be the worst, they can get so proud that we get into college, or that they are delighted we are there at all that us pulling out of something we are not happy in doesnt make sense to them.

All I can say and this is from personal experience is, if your not happy, do not waste your time in a college course you dont want to be in. It'll cost you more financially in the long run if you dont do what makes you feel happy.

Also dont go to a college just because your friends are nearby. In all fairness you have to choose whats the right course for you, not because of location or friends but because that course is what you wanted

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭SilverSparkle

wolfpawnat wrote: »
    Ok I have to ask, by any chance are you in the Royal College of Surgeons, because if you are then believe me you are as good as alone in that place, bunch of pansies the lot of them, sorry just 90% of them are ****!

Moving away from home is hard for some people, none of my friends are in Dublin. Parents can be the worst, they can get so proud that we get into college, or that they are delighted we are there at all that us pulling out of something we are not happy in doesnt make sense to them.

All I can say and this is from personal experience is, if your not happy, do not waste your time in a college course you dont want to be in. It'll cost you more financially in the long run if you dont do what makes you feel happy.

Also dont go to a college just because your friends are nearby. In all fairness you have to choose whats the right course for you, not because of location or friends but because that course is what you wanted

Nope im not in the RCSI... Im in college in Shannon. My parents are so proud of me for getting in because it has recognition worldwide as being prestigious.

At first when i chose the course i was so so happy with it. But im not happy now. The course is a brilliant course but im just so unhappy. Im so far away from family and friends. I hate going back to college on sundays. Im thinking if going a different way completely career wise... Even possibly repeating. But im haveing trouble getting through to my dad. He is like, "If you quit now, you'll be a quitter all your life".

With the state that the country is in now, i know how important it is to get a degree in something.
    I'm just not able to figure out what I want to do.
    And i still dont understand what the story is with fees if i drop out...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭insinkerator

Just remember about the making friends bit. Everyone is in the same boat as you. And be sure to get involved! I havent gotten involved and a few of my friends have, and they now seem to know everyone around college, so ya, getting involved will make you frineds no problem!

Also college is great, except sometimes i think theres a little too much freedom to be had. The amount of lectures i have skipped, even when i am in college loo, is depressing.

Advertisement