Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Trip to Italy

• 26-11-2008 12:58am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 143 ✭✭

Hi has anyone ever driven acroc France and down through Italy and back again any info please

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,032 ✭✭✭colm_c

I did it in September, but we went as far as Krakow.

Great trip, I'd do it again but spend more time seeing each country rather than making up the miles.

Not sure what kind of info you're after?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 143 ✭✭harly1516

Did you go to Italy or poland

We went to France, Italy, Slovenia, Austria, Slovakia, Hungry, Poland, Czech Republic, Germany, Belgium, Luxembourg and the Netherlands :D

Hi Colm C
    Sounds like you had some trip, I looking to go across France and down Italy and then freeie across to Greece then back again Im just looking for any info that might help like anything to look out for, anything we might need, any hassel from the local garda and maybe some good places to stay or not for that matter.

Thanks Harly :confused:

We didn't get a single bit of hassle for the whole trip from any cops, other stuff that is essential would be a good set of maps or a GPS, AA cover & Puncture repair kit, we brought camping stuff with us but regretted bringing it in the end - we camped 3 nights out of 22, there were always cheap hotels available.

We also didn't really plan the trip, we just decided to go as far east as possible, go north and then go back west.

You'll do about 3-4 times the mileage per day on motorways than on non-motorway roads, so if you need to make up mileage then sitting on them for 3-4 days will get you a huge distance, but it's fairly boring driving.

We also had some radios to talk to each other - great for giving directions to the guys behind and having a bit of craic :D

• Advertisement

Thanks colm c
    Just one question, a friend who drives a restricted Honda 400 on a provisional licence would love to come with us for a few days in France, do you have any idea if it would be a problem, or does he need a full licence before he can drive in Europe.

Thanks

Harley

harly1516 wrote: »
    Thanks colm c
    Just one question, a friend who drives a restricted Honda 400 on a provisional licence would love to come with us for a few days in France, do you have any idea if it would be a problem, or does he need a full licence before he can drive in Europe.

Thanks

Harley

Technically you can't drive outside the 26 counties with a provisional license, I don't think you'd even be covered by insurance if something was to happen.

Tell your friend to apply for the test now - and he might have a chance of having a full license before the trip.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 buttsoirl

HI Harley

I have done that trip a few times... but getting there different ways...

the first way is to go straight to Paris after you get off the ferry and head to Gare D'Est to get the Autotrain, this train takes you and your bike overnight to Nice, I got the bike 2 persons (2nd class) overnight sleeper for €330 euros one way (in early september)... its a great way to cut out the France overland trip.. which if you have done it before.. can be a bit tedious... going this way.. you arrive rested and refreshed...

the other way, which involves heading south from Roscoff towards La Rochelle... great spot...
    here is a wee pic
    la-rochelle.jpg

heading from there, you can either go down to biarritz, or turn off at Bordeaux.. and head across to Toulouse... and then hit Cap D'adge lovely beach town (it is a nudest spot as well for those who like to let it swing) ... then head up toward Montpeiller and then turn off into the mountains anywhere around Aix-en-Provence... rather than list the towns..
    here is a link to google maps showing the route...

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&saddr=N296&daddr=43.832546,6.127625+to:D4085+to:Avenue+Bachaga+Boualam&hl=en&geocode=FYo6mAIdCNdSAA%3B%3BFUginQIdvkdjAA%3BFSiSmAIdSAZrAA&mra=dpe&mrcr=0&mrsp=1&sz=9&via=1&sll=43.771094,6.141357&sspn=1.378391,2.460938&ie=UTF8&t=h&z=9

coming down to Cannes, you can see the theatre where the hollywood stars have pressed their hands into the concrete.., and onto Monaco.. where it is nice to stop for lunch and a gander at the nice boats... and the occasional supercar...

the only thing I will say about the Autostrada in Italy, is that it is NOT considered rude to sit off the back wheel at 80+ mph and "encourage" them to move to the slower lane... whereas the italians are very relaxed about this behaviour... the Irish treat it the same way as somebody coming up to you in the pub and stirring your pint with their finger.... I wasnt a big fan of this driving when I was over there, but you get used to it.. and just pull in...

I then ploughed onto the Autostrada and headed to Pisa, to see the leaning tower.. I stayed in a hotel well outside the town.. had a nice pool...

the other highlights on the west coast for me were

1) Pompeii
    2) Mount Vezuvius
    3) Sorrento
    4) Rome (Book your accomodation in advance....) also for the vatican tour go with a group tour they are available in the square down the road its 20 quid more expensive.. but you dont have to join the 1 mile queue (for real) you skip to the front.. bypass the main queue.. and in the door... lovely...

and a special mention for Tropea down in the very south... what a place
    tropea.veduta.jpg

google link
    http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&safe=off&q=tropea&ie=UTF8&t=h&z=13&g=tropea&iwloc=addr

beautiful little Italian town.. the campsite is on the beach... the water is warm... great restaurants... would have stayed there longer if it wasnt for some german fella who latched onto us like a a bad smell.... its desperate when you have to try and sneak out of a campsite...

we did go down to Sciily.. it was well worth it....
    even if you just go to Taorimina... you can also go in a cable car up to Mount Etna..

taormina-img_2118.jpg

heading up the west coast..
    Bari and Brindisi are nice coastal towns....

and from Pescara you can get the ferry to Split in Croatia... its only 7 hours... that will bring you up the Dalmation coast... to slovenia.... and bring you back into Italy via Trieste (James Joyce lived there)

a great website for roads is http://www.alpineroads.com/

lists all the best bits...

sorry if this is a bit general.. but if you have any specific questions about anything let me know..
    ta
    iain

Thanks Iain
    we are planing on going over to Greece. do you know anything about the ferry crossing also one of the lads is planing to come to france with us but doesnt have a full licence I know now he shouldent be driving outside Ireland but do you think he might be alright ????

Hi Harley

yeah I got the ferry before over to Greece, I got it from Brindisi over to Corfu.. then Corfu down to Patras in Greece...

takes 15 hours, I paid 40 quid for my passage...

but a better one for you would be the Brindisi to Igoumenitsa, its a shorter distance and drops you off further north, allowing a nice trip south along the coast motorcycles are a HUGE €12 euro one way... :-) but it also stops off in Corfu... which is a nice place to spend a few days... on Corfu head north to "st george bay" (Agios Georgios in greek) great spot to relax.. campsite on the hill ... very motorcycle friendly...

http://www.hellasferries.gr/agoudimos-lines/brindisi-igoumenitsa-brindisi-timetables-prices.html?Itemid=77

as for your friend.... I couldnt in good conscience recommend he ride uninsured in europe... the thing is... your mate could be the best pilot in the world on a bike... but its the person that might hit him that causes the can of worms to be opened..... and Italians do have wine/spirit bars in the petrol stations...... nothing like a nice shot of "grappa" before you get behind the wheel...

the best thing he could do, is to send a letter into the licensing authority and tell him he needs it for his job and he is going to loose it unless he gets it... and to rush it through.... especially where you are going... Italian drivers and greek drivers are notoriously bad...
    at least that way he has a full license... restricted.. but full....

• Advertisement

Thanks Iain I think your right but he is insistant on spending 3 to 4 days in France, some people just dont understand so we will just have to wait and see hopefully when the cop at the ferry port in France asks for his licence he will turn him back.
    Thanks again.
    Harly

Hi Harley

you are more than welcome.. I wish you well on your trip..

ride safe and have a great time.... if I can help with anything else.. let me know..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

harly1516 wrote: »
    Thanks Iain I think your right but he is insistant on spending 3 to 4 days in France, some people just dont understand so we will just have to wait and see hopefully when the cop at the ferry port in France asks for his licence he will turn him back.
    Thanks again.
    Harly

Its not like Ireland where you get a slap on the wrist and asked to show your licence. If you don't have a valid licence they'll stick you in jail.

No full licence = don't leave the Republic, simple as that.

Advertisement