Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spolier tags aren't "spoilered" in subscribed email updates

Options
  • 26-11-2008 1:39am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭

...any way they could be, please?
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Doubt it. Cant recall what it uses but most email applications wont parse HTML or Javascript so chances are you will read it before you get the chance to parse the HTML :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,332 ✭✭✭311

I noticed this when quoting posts aswell.

Maybe theres a program that prints blocks in space of the spoiler ,so you have to revert back to the original post to uncover the spoiler.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,443 ✭✭✭Red Sleeping Beauty

I don't know if this is related but I get email updates of a particular post and then when I click on the link to read the post/thread it's sometimes been edited . Earlier I got an update which had abuse in the post and the post was then edited soon after.

I suppse though if there's a thread that may have spoilers in it that you don't want to see then don't subscribe to it ? Or don't read the emails. Seems like the obvious Russian solution to "how to write in space" Ans. = Use a pencil rather than spending millions and millions on inventing a new type of pen.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

What alan dunne says makes sense.

If you don't want spoilers, then don't subscribe to a thread that has "May contain spoilers". Or turn off email notification for that thread :)

From a technical POV it's not possible to reliably "spoiler" text in an email. At best, spoilered text could be replaced with <There is text here which may contain spoilers. In order to view it, please click the link above to view the thread>

That seems like it might mess with mails though :)

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

It should be possible. The email notification thingy is processing markup already - note how quote tags are handled, and bold type is marked out *like this*.

It shouldn't be too hard to include spoiler tags in this markup, and replace their contents with something like what Seamus said.

I mean, it's not like CuLT has anything else to do... :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

I don't know if this is related but I get email updates of a particular post and then when I click on the link to read the post/thread it's sometimes been edited .
    That is the best aprt of the whole system. Many a muppet has been caught out because of content in an email that was ninja edited out of the thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,094 ✭✭✭✭javaboy

[nerd]Caesar cipher spoilered text. It would solve the problem of accidentally seeing the text. If you want to see the original post just log into boards and if that's not an option, it's simple to figure out what it says in a few seconds.[/nerd]

Less nerdy option is to replace spoilered text with a reference number and to put the actual text way down the email after a load of white space. That would stop people seeing the spoilers by accident I reckon.

e.g.
    Did you see the match last night? The Red team beat the Blue team by *SPOILER #1*. It was a great spectacle. Especially the last minute when the Red team scored the winning *SPOILER #2*.

Spoilers:
    #1: "one score to nought"
    #2: "goal"

javaboy wrote: »
    [nerd]Caesar cipher spoilered text. It would solve the problem of accidentally seeing the text. If you want to see the original post just log into boards and if that's not an option, it's simple to figure out what it says in a few seconds.[/nerd]
    ROT13 would be a good option.
    Less nerdy option is to replace spoilered text with a reference number and to put the actual text way down the email after a load of white space. That would stop people seeing the spoilers by accident I reckon.
    Much harder for a markup-to-text processor to do.

oscarBravo wrote: »
    ROT13 would be a good option.

Meh it's all the same really. Although converting soccer scores using Caesar would be a bit obvious. e.g 1-0 => 4-3 (not exactly rocket science to figure that one out :D) So yeah ROT13 would be better.
    Much harder for a markup-to-text processor to do.

Not really. The spoilers wouldn't have to be hyperlinked or anything. A single regular expression could probably do the job.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭jhegarty

or just the mailer software could just send using a white font . <- spoiler

• Advertisement

jhegarty wrote: »
    or just the mailer software could just send using a white font . <- spoiler
    Not reliable enough IMO. Some clients do a HTML -> Plaintext conversion. Others strip out any superfluous styling such as font colors. Nice idea though.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭jhegarty

seamus wrote: »
    Not reliable enough IMO. Some clients do a HTML -> Plaintext conversion. Others strip out any superfluous styling such as font colors. Nice idea though.

I think that only happens when there is a plaintext mime component. If you only send a html component then most* won't strip.

*well outlook anyway , I don't have any others to test with.

Outlook is unsurprisingly obedient. Gmail, Hotmail and Thunderbird though don't play ball a lot of the time for security reasons.

seamus wrote: »
    Outlook is unsurprisingly obedient. Gmail, Hotmail and Thunderbird though don't play ball a lot of the time for security reasons.

Not to mention the menagerie of nonstandard mail clients on mobile phones these days. Relying on the email client to treat mime types correctly is not reliable.

Also, some of us like our mail in plaintext.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,517 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Can a regular expression replacement be done on the text before sending? Replace [.spoiler.] xxx [./spoiler.] with (Spoiler) so it isn't displayed in the email?

• Subscribers Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭CuLT

This turned out to be easier to do than I thought it might.

Although it means one more hardcoded modification per vB update.

If you notice any problems, post em in Development, I only glance at Feedback occasionally.

Spoilers should now show as ***SPOILER REMOVED*** in email updates. If you want to view the spoilers, visit the thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Draupnir

Mr E wrote: »
    Can a regular expression replacement be done on the text before sending? Replace [.spoiler.] xxx [./spoiler.] with (Spoiler) so it isn't displayed in the email?

I can't believe it took more than two weeks for someone to suggest the obvious solution.

Out of interest, where does one post problems with the adverts.ie systems and/or make suggestions on improvements there?

Draupnir wrote: »
    I can't believe it took more than two weeks for someone to suggest the obvious solution.

The obvious solution was actually suggested as far back as post #3. They just didn't use the right lingo but the concept was the same. :)

I also mentioned a way that a regular expression could be used to not only spoiler the content but to place it far down the bottom of the email so that you wouldn't have to visit the thread to actually read it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

Out of interest, where does one post problems with the adverts.ie systems and/or make suggestions on improvements there?
    Adverts support forum I imagine, Here.

• Advertisement

javaboy wrote: »
    The obvious solution was actually suggested as far back as post #3. They just didn't use the right lingo but the concept was the same. :)

I also mentioned a way that a regular expression could be used to not only spoiler the content but to place it far down the bottom of the email so that you wouldn't have to visit the thread to actually read it.

From what I saw, you were spouting rubbish about Caesar Ciphers. I stopped reading then.

SteveC wrote: »
    Adverts support forum I imagine, Here.

Cheers man

From what I saw, you were spouting rubbish about Caesar Ciphers. I stopped reading then.

Fair enough but very similar ciphers such as ROT13 are in common usage as a method of implementing spoiler tags in plaintext formats. Don't talk about people not proposing solutions if you're not actually going to read the posts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,443 ✭✭✭Red Sleeping Beauty

Ah well done, ye got the spoilers in the email notifications :)

Comes up as : ***SPOILER REMOVED***

Advertisement