Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UN passes 'blasphemy' resolution.

Options
  • 26-11-2008 1:45am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭

UN anti-blasphemy measures have sinister goals, observers say

http://www.canada.com/topics/news/world/story.html?id=9b8e3a6d-795d-440f-a5de-6ff6e78c78d5

And we all know how keen the US is in enforcing UN resolutions ...

Seriously though, Saudi Arabia, a country with absolutely no religious freedom is lecturing the rest of the world about "respect for religion", the mind boggles.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

That's a really big ass article. Could you please just tell me what this law actually means so I know if I should be outraged or not?

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Good to see now that civilized nations have started abolishing anti-blasphemy laws the UN pretty much gives said archaic laws it's backing and protection.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭ChocolateSauce

Dang, my respect for the UN just dropped from a "well it's trying" to a "it needs a boot in the rear".

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,417 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

Zillah wrote: »
    tell me what this law actually means
    Issnot a law, but a "call", with no legal status, so it's not worth taking to the streets just yet. It's worth a bit of mild outrage though.

The final resolution is here and the submissions' document is here.

Nice to see Russia worrying about something called the "freedom of the mass media".

• Registered Users Posts: 7,776 ✭✭✭Mark Hamill

I think that we should get an Atheist representative into the UN and tell them we find this resolution to be blasphemous.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,346 ✭✭✭Rev Hellfire

Dang, my respect for the UN just dropped from a "well it's trying" to a "it needs a boot in the rear".

The UN like any democratic organisation is prone to those who play the game, as Islamic countries get more organised you've got to expect this sort of thing more.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭pH

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭ChocolateSauce

The UN like any democratic organisation is prone to those who play the game, as Islamic countries get more organised you've got to expect this sort of thing more.

Seems so....but I was holding out hope that the non-western countries in South America, Africa, etc would stop this kind of stuff. I wonder which countries abstained?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

i dunno if you said all catholic priest are all child rapists wouldn't that be defamtion by anyones standard

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

robindch wrote: »
    Nice to see Russia worrying about something called the "freedom of the mass media".

Nah, Russia don't need censorship, they just have journalists killed.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

Zillah wrote: »
    Nah, Russia don't need censorship, they just have journalists killed.

And here's me thinking that in Russia, it equates to the same thing.:pac:

Censorship in the West=ethical codes to base profession on (even though those ethics are continuously pushed to the extreme).

Censorship in China, Russia, and Saudi Arabia=surveillance and threats of imprisonment.

Advertisement