Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Local Elections 2009

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭Gulamugas

Sully wrote: »
    Where are the poll results? Are they publicly available? The name doesnt ring any bells but that Ted chap, is he in newtown or am I mixing him up?

Iv been told its confirmed Ben Gavin has set aside, wonder will that benefit/effect the FF votes in the town? None of the older FF candidates are running anymore, we have instead two new candidates.

It was a private poll. Which was done in the proper scientific sampling way to get a more realistic result rather than some of those vox pop type polls carried out outside a supermarket.
    That Mc Donald chap was, if you remember, the chap who objected to the appolonian apartments and Ted yes, you got him in one. He is a lecturer in WIT.
    Ben's vote would have been a personal rather than party vote so it would look like it will scatter all over the place. I dont think Tina and certainly not Joe O' Shea would benefit from it. Joe Conway would get some of Bens vote and so would Paddy O' C. Lola would get a chunk of it too. There is another poll being taken this weekend so it will be interesting with all the changes there has been during the week

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Do you recall the overall results? Are they even made public? Sample taken etc.

Curious to see how everyone is doing, especially our new independents.

Cant think of McDonald but ill ask about and someone will refresh my memory im sure. Forgot about Ted, havent seen him around in a while.

It was a sample of 200 taken scientifically from the register. 200 is quite a good sample considering national polls are based on a 1000 sample.

My lips are sealed as to the exact results as they are not being made public.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭scout353

I still think there will be an issue for Joe O Shea or any of the FF candidates. The backlash will be felt even on the local front.

Joe Conway will probably pick up some of Ben Gavins poll but his support dropped dramatically last time out - IIRC he scraped in on the last seat.

I think Ann Marie Power will continue to head the poll - she has been quite vocal in the five years on Council and is well regarded.

I do think that there is merit in the argument that SF and the likes of Eddie Walsh could scupper each other - basically feeding on scraps of the others. Which could allow the likes of James McCartan to hold his seat - he would also pick up some of the Green transfers as he has been vocal enough about the back strand and the environment.

Will Stan Nangle suffer from the Green's involvement in government - I think yes to an extent but he may have enough to carry him through.

One thing that strikes me as odd is the huge amount of Green Party posters that have sprung up around the town for Stan and Dan Boyle - should the Greens not be considering the environment and refrain from the use of all this paper???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 652 ✭✭✭Jim_Are_Great

RE the young Fine Gael chap (anyone remember his name?) I think you're overestimating the youth vote. That demographic never turns out significantly, particularly in local/Euro elections.

RE SF, I think Fitzgerald in the county has a decent chance because of the amount of support he has out Passage/Dunmore way himself and Carey will probably do each other a bit of numerical damage though.

RE Anne Marie topping the polls: do you want to make it interesting? Bajillion euro says she doesn't.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2 John-Power

Hey Guys,

I have been watching your posts for the last few days and felt it necessary to join and point out the following: I think ye sound like a pack of old women gossiping!!
    Gulamugas wrote: »
    Not official but yes, Martina to run for F.G. The leaving cert student is Tommy ?, father has a driving school and they live in Newtown Glen or whatever that place is called.
    I think this was confirmed tonight, I couldn't hear the person very well who was explaining. As for college... I assume he is aiming for WIT or not going to college at all?

You couldn`t hear Sully...... earwigging down in super valu again???
    I was told that the other candidate is very confident of getting elected, which would be one reason why Labour accepted that she was not to run in Tramore. But yes, he will get the school leavers vote id imagine. Will probably get them out to vote.

You were told..... speculation?? Fact please.... Getting bored!

Ann-marie is sending out letters (oddly, I got one) offering people a "text reminder service" to head out and vote on the day. Is this a new thing?

Other parties such as SF have been using this tactic for a while, getting mobile numbers and e-mail addresses. Not new really. Some parties just a bit slow..... sorry Sully:)
    Ok so there you are on election day and theres all the posters and talk on the radio

Under the BCI Guidelines ,a Moratorium on Election Coverage will be imposed on all Broadcasters in the State from 12.01 am the dat before any election and will run to the close of Polling. Really Gul, thought you had the T-Shirt:D

An independent poll carried out over the weekend would say that Eddie Walsh entry into the race would not be good news for the shinners it shows both clune and walsh very close to the bottom of the pile and neither of them capable of helping the other in terms of transfers and anyway Tramore is not a Shinner town and the candidate is not well known.

Not well known. Are you crazy?? Are you from Tramore?? Doubt it.....Think I know who you are though...... Don`t hide
    It was a private poll. Which was done in the proper scientific sampling way to get a more realistic result rather than some of those vox pop type polls carried out outside a supermarket.
    That Mc Donald chap was, if you remember, the chap who objected to the appolonian apartments and Ted yes, you got him in one. He is a lecturer in WIT.

Private poll....rubbish. Give us facts. Zero credibility or integrity. Gul maybe Walter Mitty??
    It was a sample of 200 taken scientifically from the register. 200 is quite a good sample considering national polls are based on a 1000 sample.

Random/block/specific or multistage sampling??? Scientific?? Yea!

My lips are sealed as to the exact results as they are not being made public.

Crap.
    scout353 wrote: »
    I still think there will be an issue for Joe O Shea or any of the FF candidates. The backlash will be felt even on the local front.

Of course it will be an issue. Be realistic.

:cool::cool:

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Joe is a nice chap. Popular and a businessman - people might take into account the party he is running for. Two new candidates, a fresh FF team.
    Joe Conway will probably pick up some of Ben Gavins poll but his support dropped dramatically last time out - IIRC he scraped in on the last seat.

I think Ann Marie Power will continue to head the poll - she has been quite vocal in the five years on Council and is well regarded.

Yup, but Joe Conway would be next in line in terms of being vocal. So a bit tougher to call. People might also give one of the new candidates a better vote for "fresh faces" so its harder one to call.
    I do think that there is merit in the argument that SF and the likes of Eddie Walsh could scupper each other - basically feeding on scraps of the others. Which could allow the likes of James McCartan to hold his seat - he would also pick up some of the Green transfers as he has been vocal enough about the back strand and the environment.

Will Stan Nangle suffer from the Green's involvement in government - I think yes to an extent but he may have enough to carry him through.

Opinion polls seem to suggest that the Greens have not been effected by being in government. So this might not play as big of a factor as the FF name would.
    One thing that strikes me as odd is the huge amount of Green Party posters that have sprung up around the town for Stan and Dan Boyle - should the Greens not be considering the environment and refrain from the use of all this paper???

Stan will explain better, but the material is a special type of recyclable board that wasnt sourced locally. Every one of the Green candidates has it. I actually dont think they have much up anyway.
    RE the young Fine Gael chap (anyone remember his name?) I think you're overestimating the youth vote. That demographic never turns out significantly, particularly in local/Euro elections.

Bare in mind that a young candidate is more likely to pull out young voters. Big difference to previous elections where there really hasnt been a young candidate.
    RE SF, I think Fitzgerald in the county has a decent chance because of the amount of support he has out Passage/Dunmore way himself and Carey will probably do each other a bit of numerical damage though.

RE Anne Marie topping the polls: do you want to make it interesting? Bajillion euro says she doesn't.

Curious, what makes you sure she wont top it again? As was said, she has been vocal, especially on issues that concern people. She did it last time, might easily do it again.
    John-Power wrote: »
    Hey Guys,I have been watching your posts for the last few days and felt it necessary to join and point out the following: I think ye sound like a pack of old women gossiping!!

You couldn`t hear Sully...... earwigging down in super valu again???

Other parties such as SF have been using this tactic for a while, getting mobile numbers and e-mail addresses. Not new really. Some parties just a bit slow..... sorry Sully:)

Under the BCI Guidelines ,a Moratorium on Election Coverage will be imposed on all Broadcasters in the State from 12.01 am the dat before any election and will run to the close of Polling. Really Gul, thought you had the T-Shirt:D

An independent poll carried out over the weekend would say that Eddie Walsh entry into the race would not be good news for the shinners it shows both clune and walsh very close to the bottom of the pile and neither of them capable of helping the other in terms of transfers and anyway Tramore is not a Shinner town and the candidate is not well known.

Not well known. Are you crazy?? Are you from Tramore?? Doubt it.....Think I know who you are though...... Don`t hide

Private poll....rubbish. Give us facts. Zero credibility or integrity. Gul maybe Walter Mitty??

Crap.

Of course it will be an issue. Be realistic.

:cool::cool:

Welcome to the forum. Just bare in mind this is a topic about the local elections, which effect people in the town/county, so there is hardly anything wrong with people discussing the candidates and new comers to the race which might make it an interesting election. Id suggest you avoid the mainstream Politics forum on Boards - if this is gossiping, its far worse on that forum! If this isnt something that interests you, the site is big enough for you to find something that does.

Cheers for the clarifcation on the number thing - I wasnt aware it was that common during elections. Not a bad idea. SF have been doing it?

As for who told me this was confirmed, it was one of the candidates for the local elections (not Tramore). It was in a noisy pub enviroment and with my poor hearing I couldnt hear exactly what the person was saying to me. But that seemed to be the jist of it.

blablabla
    Take it easy there, pal.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,249 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

Does anyone have any interest in the European elections?

Or do people feel that the EU is too far removed from daily life in Co. Waterford?

Does anyone have any interest in the European elections?

Or do people feel that the EU is too far removed from daily life in Co. Waterford?

Not as much talk all around for EU elections I guess, and the candidates are not really local. Feel free to start a conversation here or on a new thread if you like.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭Stan Nangle

Where are all these posters?

I've only seen a dozen or so of mine and two of Dan's.

The poster boards are made by Coillte from wood that came from sustainably managed Irish forests, and they will be recycled into biofuel when we're finished with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,249 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

Not as much talk all around for EU elections I guess, and the candidates are not really local. Feel free to start a conversation here or on a new thread if you like.
    Obviously the candidates are not local, a shame really that we haven't had a Waterford MEP in recent memory, but they are still our representatives in Europe so I still feel we should take an interest in them.

So far running there is
    Brian Crowley FF
    Kathy Sinnott Ind
    Colm Burke FG
    Dan Boyle Green
    Ned O'Keeffe FF
    Toirease Ferris SF
    Alan Kelly Lab
    Sean Kelly FG

Feel free to add anyone if I have left anyone out as these are just off the top of my head.

Should be an interesting election, anyone have any comments?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 lilmo

Whoo Hoo
    Great to see Eddie Walsh back!! Go on Eddie Boy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,893 ✭✭✭rex-x

I think I speak for alot of Tramore people when I say i'll vote for whoever can help get a F*cking Tarmacadam surface on the Main Waterford Road!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

Stan is getting my vote. Mainly because he has the coolest name of the lot and he replied to a pm I sent him on upthedeise. That makes him sound. Woo come on stan the man.

rex-x wrote: »
    I think I speak for alot of Tramore people when I say i'll vote for whoever can help get a F*cking Tarmacadam surface on the Main Waterford Road!!

Which will be nobody until at least the next budget from what Stan is saying! It will be resurfaced but wont be the proper surface.

rex-x wrote: »

Dungarvan have decreed that we are going to get tar and chip again in a couple of weeks.

The sitting Councillors voted to pay €1.7 million for a new road to Clonea last year, and they voted €52,440 to put tar and chip on the busiest road in th County.

The Tramore Road has more traffic on a Bank Holiday Weekend than Clonea gets in total from September to June - but Clonea is in Dungarvan.

Here's what you get for €1.7m

DSC00726.jpg

DSC00728.jpg

DSC00725-1.jpg

The Tramore Councillors voted for that at the same time they were voting for this

DSC00721.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭scout353

I have been driving around Tramore over the last few days and its interesting to see that there are no Fianna Fail posters around!

All the best poles in the town have been taken now!!!

:D:D:D

I am sure that when they do come to put their posters up the Fianna Fail boys will be able to find spots or "make room" for their posters.;)

Enjoyed this blog of Joe Conway's. He's certainly literate, and makes good points.

• Advertisement

Never knew Joe had a blog. Should be promoted more, how did you find out about it?

There was a link to it on the bottom of a leaflet he gave me.

So what about the county council seats?

Anne Marie Power
    Lola O' Sullivan
    John Carey
    Paddy O Callaghan
    Pat Daly
    Joe Conway
    ?
    Anyone got any views?

Nangle? Sure of seat in the town but would he have a following in the county?
    Blaise did well enough last time but can he get some of Dan Cowmans county vote?
    Or would Geoff Power benefit from it?

Some more stats I missed;
    Brian Cowen scores just 18%, a fall of six since February.

Enda Kenny is up three at 33%, while Eamon Gilmore has the highest satisfaction rating at 51%, up 7.

John Gormley at 25% is down four and Gerry Adams at 34% is up two.

---
    Pat Barron is a candidate for the County Council, for FG. Should do well, along with the other FG candidates. Can see Joe having no problems either.

So what about the county council seats?

Anne Marie Power
    Lola O' Sullivan
    John Carey
    Paddy O Callaghan
    Pat Daly
    Joe Conway
    ?
    Anyone got any views?

Nangle? Sure of seat in the town but would he have a following in the county?
    Blaise did well enough last time but can he get some of Dan Cowmans county vote?
    Or would Geoff Power benefit from it?

John Carey should top the poll.

Lola and AMP should bag the second and third seats.

After that anything could happen.

John Carey should top the poll.

Lola and AMP should bag the second and third seats.

After that anything could happen.

Do you not think Joe has a chance of topping the poll, at least getting elected?

He will definitely win a seat..top the poll? interesting. Wonder what price youd get about that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 John-Power

Enjoyed this blog of Joe Conway's. He's certainly literate, and makes good points.

Makes good points:

http://www.munster-express.ie/letters-to-the-editor/former-mayor-appears-to-be-out-of-touch/

Come on Joe, Dont take the p--s out of us well educated residents please......

Makes good points:

http://www.munster-express.ie/letters-to-the-editor/former-mayor-appears-to-be-out-of-touch/

Come on Joe, Dont take the p--s out of us well educated residents please......

just catching up on current events john? That was published last October !
    He is entitled to voice his opinion which he does publicly rather than what you are doing anonymously

• Advertisement

Nothing particularly persuasive in that article at all, John Power. I don't see what your point is, if you're even trying to make a point. I certainly don't see what you being educated has to do with it.

Advertisement