Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Local Elections 2009

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭Stan Nangle

The candidates have done their bit, setting out their stall.

Now it's up to the voters to pick the team they want to be their representatives on the Councils over the next 5 years.

It doesn't matter who you vote for, but please do vote. The combined total of first preferences for the six Councillors elected last time was 400 less than the number of people who didn't vote at all. If those people had voted we might have had six different Councillors.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 652 ✭✭✭Jim_Are_Great

Who's got the balls to call it once and for all?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭Gulamugas

here goes

Anne marie power
    Lola O' Sullivan
    Joe Conway
    Paddy O callaghan
    Blaise
    Stan
    Gina
    Reine
    Martina

County

Carey
    Lola
    Anne marie
    Pat daly
    Blaise
    Paddy
    Last one too hard to call
    Stan/pat barron/geoff?

Who are Martina and Roger?

Martina keoghan fg
    And sorry pat barron not roger

• Advertisement

Maxine Keoghan?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

In no particular order and not fully complete as I really cant fully call it but..

Town::
    Lola O'Sullivan
    Joe Conway
    Eleanor Hickey
    Anne Marie Power
    Paddy O'Callaghan
    Blaise
    Stan
    Maxine / James McCartan
    Joe O'Shea/Gina

(Since James did so poor in the last election, it might be to hard for him to be re-elected.. but I could be wrong)
    County::
    John Carey
    Pat Barron
    Lola O'Sulivan
    Ann Marie Power
    Paddy O'Callaghan
    Blaise

Sorry Jim, Maxine.

Sully what about John carey...surely he will head the poll

I'm going (incomplete and unordered)

Town:
    Conway
    Power
    O'Sullivan
    Hannigan
    Nangle
    O'Callaghan
    Huchinson-Kelly

County:
    Carey
    Conway
    A.M. Power
    O'Callaghan
    Barron

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Gulamugas wrote: »
    Sorry Jim, Maxine.

Sully what about John carey...surely he will head the poll

I knew I was missing a name, thanks. He has climbed vote count wise, should have no problem getting in this time.

EDIT: I also think Conway will top the poll in Tramore.

• Advertisement

Sully wrote: »
    I also think Conway will top the poll in Tramore.

If he does, he's almost guaranteed a county place.

Edit: care to make it interesting?

Second Edit: Actually no, I'd probably agree with you, so no bets taken. Not from me anyway.

I agree lads.

If he does, he's almost guaranteed a county place.

Edit: care to make it interesting?

Second Edit: Actually no, I'd probably agree with you, so no bets taken. Not from me anyway.

It should be interesting. Some think AM Power may top it but Joe was probably the better candidate for Tramore and was great during his term as Major. Thats why I would think he should win it easily, but perhaps not so easily in the county.

Ok, I'm making my final call:

Town:
    Conway
    Power
    O'Sullivan
    Hannigan
    Nangle
    O'Callaghan
    Huchinson-Kelly
    Raine
    Clune

County:
    Carey
    Conway
    A.M. Power
    O'Callaghan
    Barron
    Daly
    G. Power

With Conway to top in the town and either Conway or Carey to top in the county.

What makes you think Tom Raine will get in ahead of FF? A new candidate to politics, very young..

Well, I have one FF town candidate. To be honest, I got to seven names and after that it was guess work. There's several people there who haven't a hope, and a few who are very much long shots. I put down Raine, and for the sake of seeing who's right tomorrow I'm sticking with him, but it could just have easily been a lot of others.

Hope I'm wrong, I must say. I can't see people being all that comfortable with coming to a kid with their problems.

Apparently there was a bit of conceded effort by a group of first time voters to vote fir raine as their man. I understand they were all plumpers.

Oh also, while I suppose it's technically off-topic, I'm saying Burke, Sinnott, Crowley and Kelly for Europe.

Gulamugas wrote: »
    Apparently there was a bit of conceded effort by a group of first time voters to vote fir raine as their man. I understand they were all plumpers.

Who got seconds? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,249 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

Oh also, while I suppose it's technically off-topic, I'm saying Burke, Sinnott, Crowley and Kelly for Europe.
    Only 3 seats in Europe

Should be

Crowley
    S Kelly

and one of A Kelly, Sinnott(please god not) and Burke

Stafford looked like a candidate but some of his policies seem absurd (eg citizenship based taxation)

• Advertisement

Sinnott eh. Struggled in polls but perhaps. Crowely isn't a prediction, he's a shoe in for god sake. Top the poll he will. Which Kelly? Sean or Alan?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,249 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

What makes you think Tom Raine will get in ahead of FF? A new candidate to politics, very young..
    He has gotten very good publicity though, don't remember seeing any other candidate on national newspapers or radio (other than Power smiling beside him)

I wonder could Power top again considering she was part of his coverage etc? Might increase her vote count and beat Joe to the top..

Only 3 seats in Europe
    Oops...
    Stafford looked like a candidate but some of his policies seem absurd (eg citizenship based taxation)
    I gave him my #1. I like ideas, and he has plenty. He strikes me as a man looking to advertise himself for a tilt at the Dáil, though.
    Which Kelly? Sean or Alan?
    Good point. I was originally referring to Alan, but I wouldn't write off Sean.
    He has gotten very good publicity though, don't remember seeing any other candidate on national newspapers or radio (other than Power smiling beside him)
    Well fancy that! What a happy coincidence that Power should get free piggyback media coverage by coercing a stunt candidate into running! I bet she never even thought of that.

What a cliffhanger on the town and county. So much for predictions. Hard luck stan and jim

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 JeffTheJeff

I'm pretty annoyed than Stan Nangle didn't get in. A very well qualified candidate, far more so than a lot of the successful candidates and a nice man from what I hear. I am glad that Tom Raine got in, he deserved it even for motivating young people to vote. I'm not of voting age by a few months but I did get the mother, father and best friend to vote Nangle no. 1 with Paddy O' Callaghan second. How does everyone else feel about the results?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Butterflyxx

Hi everyone! Im new here :D Said Id join in the fun conversation.

So far the Tramore election results are as follows:

Joe Conway topped the poll at 657 votes

Ann Marie Power came second at 568

Paddy O Callaghan came third at 488

Lola O Sullivan came 4th at 460

I also heard that Tom Raine got elected but I don't know how many votes he got.

Tramore Town Council was decided a good few hours ago. See the results thread - it was updated as each count came in including the final.

Party wise.. no surprises for me really, I had a fair idea how it would work. As I predicted FG would get Lola & AM Power in easily, Lab would get Paddy O'Callaghan and Joe Conway would top the poll. I suspected FG would get a third seat, and possibly a fourth - which they did (Maxine and Raine were elected) I just didn't know who and felt a fourth seat may be pushing it. I also knew that we would end up with only one FF councillor. Blaise got in. I think its safe to say that the returning of the same councillors was fair, they are active and hard workers in their role.

Where I went wrong was thinking Stan would be elected. Surprised at this, the only shock for me, as I thought he should have no problems in the town. I would wonder if being a GP member made a difference, as it seems a trend that Greens lost a lot in these elections. I assumed people would see him for who he is and what he is offering, but I guess not. He was the last to be eliminated though, which is better then nothing.

James McCartan lost out. I thought this might happen to him, especially since it was a tough battle and his last attempt being weak (he was co-opted in). I think that leaves us with Pat Finnerty who was elected due to Stan being eliminated. Didn't think he would get the slot, but fair play he managed to gain good ground and keep in with a shot. I know Pat, Maxine, Raine and Joe got in purely on the elimination but to be fair, they had good numbers with Maxine being very close to the quota.

As for County Council - I dont have the full results but no surprise that Carey topped but jesus, Barron loosing out to Sinn Fein is the biggest shock. Plus, Pat Daily and Joe Conway got in, which is to be expected after Joe topping the poll in Tramore. Thats all I know at this stage, stunned that Barron never made the ticket and FFs Daily did!

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭aboyro

geoff power (dunmore fianna fail candidate) had mazzive transfers to daly (ff) and fitzgearld (dunmore sf) so that propelled the two of them towards the top. lola was waiting on 5 transfers from geoff but secured 29 and annemarie was waiting on 21 from him and got 24.which ensure thay made the quota. barron being eliminated next meant that the other candidates were elected without reaching the quota.

very tight and exciting race :D

comeragh have a recount this morrning at 11 due to 3 votes seperating o'leary and whelan. both ff'ers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 795 ✭✭✭rasper

Very disappointed with the results , obviously the voters are very happy with the state of our town, roads, allocation of funds, etc to return the same candidates alongside with a secondary school student.
    Wonder how long before Blaise and Pat will display their FF colors, Blaise denied vehemently on my doorstep that he would but we'll see.

Hard luck Stan , ya got two No.1s from our house, maybe ya should have left the Greens until after the election and then go back when all the fuss dies down, seems to work with the for some.

Advertisement