Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Local Elections 2009

Options
123457»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭Traumadoc

I like many ex green voters, were very very upset that the party that seemed so anti corruption would support Bertie Ahern , I gave my number one to John Gormley in 2007 ( I live in Dublin S.E.) and was devestated when my vote helped Bertie Ahern stay in power.

This was at the time when Bertie was telling us about his trips to Scotland to go to bet on horses:rolleyes:.

The green party are as dead as the PDs if they continue to support FF.
    If they get out now they may get some kudos, otherwise they are finished.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 JeffTheJeff

Yeah, I thought that the greens going into government with FF was the worst move they've ever made then and now it's confirmed.

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭Stan Nangle

Thanks for all the positive comments upthread. :cool:

Traumadoc wrote: »
    I like many ex green voters, were very very upset that the party that seemed so anti corruption would support Bertie Ahern , I gave my number one to John Gormley in 2007 ( I live in Dublin S.E.) and was devestated when my vote helped Bertie Ahern stay in power.

This was at the time when Bertie was telling us about his trips to Scotland to go to bet on horses:rolleyes:.

The green party are as dead as the PDs if they continue to support FF.
    If they get out now they may get some kudos, otherwise they are finished.

Bertie was going to be in power in 2007 by virtue of the electorate giving FF 78 Dail seats. The only question was who would go into coalition with FF. The choice was Labour or The Greens.

I have no hesitation, even now, in saying that we made the correct decision. The two and a half Ministers have made some serious changes in how Government operates in the two years they have been there. Most of the changes are technical and procedural, and very unsexy from a media perspective. They are also irrelevant from the perspective of someone who has lost their job, or who was hit with the pensions levy.

The Green Party has been clobbered, but an important job has been done in changing these processes at the heart of Government - and much of it is won't be undone because the Civil Service have seen the benefits of doing things in a new way.

Should the Greens stay in, and try and get a few more things done - the new Planning Act for instance - or should we step aside and let FG/Labour (or FF/Labour) take over the reins?

That is a question that is being asked up and down the Country today.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭Traumadoc

Perhaps you should consider going into coalition with labour and fine gael, I think it is what a lot of natural voters for the greens would want.

I was sickened when Ahern was leaving , because behind him,
    with a tear in his eye was Gormley.
    bertie.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xqkoz7hmc1s&eurl=http%3A%2F%2Fwww%2Efinfacts%2Ecom%2Firelandbusinessnews%2Fpublish%2Farticle%5F1011169%2Eshtml&feature=player_embedded

from about 3.25 mins have a laugh

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Should the Greens stay in, and try and get a few more things done - the new Planning Act for instance - or should we step aside and let FG/Labour (or FF/Labour) take over the reins?

That is a question that is being asked up and down the Country today.

What do you think, as a Green Party member Stan? Will you be part of the party calling for "Pull out now" or "Hang in there, we cant call for a GE or we will be killed"? I wonder do the Greens realise each day they stay in power and ignore the peoples choice, there doing more damage to their chances of getting elected in the future and creating the Green Ireland they want.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Butterflyxx

Sully wrote: »
    Tramore Town Council was decided a good few hours ago. See the results thread - it was updated as each count came in including the final.

Party wise.. no surprises for me really, I had a fair idea how it would work. As I predicted FG would get Lola & AM Power in easily, Lab would get Paddy O'Callaghan and Joe Conway would top the poll. I suspected FG would get a third seat, and possibly a fourth - which they did (Maxine and Raine were elected) I just didn't know who and felt a fourth seat may be pushing it. I also knew that we would end up with only one FF councillor. Blaise got in. I think its safe to say that the returning of the same councillors was fair, they are active and hard workers in their role.

Where I went wrong was thinking Stan would be elected. Surprised at this, the only shock for me, as I thought he should have no problems in the town. I would wonder if being a GP member made a difference, as it seems a trend that Greens lost a lot in these elections. I assumed people would see him for who he is and what he is offering, but I guess not. He was the last to be eliminated though, which is better then nothing.

James McCartan lost out. I thought this might happen to him, especially since it was a tough battle and his last attempt being weak (he was co-opted in). I think that leaves us with Pat Finnerty who was elected due to Stan being eliminated. Didn't think he would get the slot, but fair play he managed to gain good ground and keep in with a shot. I know Pat, Maxine, Raine and Joe got in purely on the elimination but to be fair, they had good numbers with Maxine being very close to the quota.

As for County Council - I dont have the full results but no surprise that Carey topped but jesus, Barron loosing out to Sinn Fein is the biggest shock. Plus, Pat Daily and Joe Conway got in, which is to be expected after Joe topping the poll in Tramore. Thats all I know at this stage, stunned that Barron never made the ticket and FFs Daily did!

Eleanor Hickey didn't get in did she?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 WhatsTheStorey

They are also irrelevant from the perspective of someone who has lost their job, or who was hit with the pensions levy.

I think you may have answered your own question there Stan! The green philosophy hit a note with all the voters and it looks like the Greens sold out! It's positive to change the planning acts etc. etc. but not taking care of the fundamentals as mentioned above (by yourself) like jobs and pension levies is simply wrong. Finna Fail was wrong but so to was the Greens!

Don't mention the Green Party member that has done irreparable damage to Waterford City! Remember what Michael Porter said you can't be a bit of everything, you need to have a single strategy and follow it!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Eleanor Hickey didn't get in did she?

Nope, I do believe it shows when she was eliminated in the result thread I linked you to earlier. Cant recall atm!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Butterflyxx

Hard luck Stan. I was sorry you didn't get in. You would have been better off getting in than Pat Finnerty, Blaise Hannigan or Joe O'Shea (even though Blaise and Joe are lovely people they are/were part of the wrong party).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 652 ✭✭✭Jim_Are_Great

Gulamugas wrote: »
    Hard luck stan and jim

Me? Why hard luck to me?

I have to say I think this was one of the best elections we've had. I'm not all that delighted with a handful of the new councillors, I must admit, but there are some great stories. A chap not much more than a child elected, and an independent topping the poll by a country mile without a party or so much as a single poster.

It also struck me that this election, more than any other that I can remember, shows just how important voting is. Some of those elected - in both town and county - were separated by six or nine votes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭Stan Nangle

Me? Why hard luck to me?

I have to say I think this was one of the best elections we've had. I'm not all that delighted with a handful of the new councillors, I must admit, but there are some great stories. A chap not much more than a child elected, and an independent topping the poll by a country mile without a party or so much as a single poster.

It also struck me that this election, more than any other that I can remember, shows just how important voting is. Some of those elected - in both town and county - were separated by six or nine votes.

I think he was referring to Jim McCartan.

Congratulations to you ;)

Advertisement