Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Internet prices realistic?

Options
  • 26-11-2008 1:51am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,024 ✭✭✭

Do you guys think the prices on carzone etc can be bargained down much? I'm looking for an 03/04 Polo and the prices are usually around 6-7 grand. Could be a bit much for a first car. I would especially like to hear from anyone within the trade of what is my best way of getting what I want. I don't want be be heading in cocky just because I'm a cash buyer and the motor trade is in trouble. I'd like a friendly deal done with little fuss, Thanks for any replies!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭Philush

id say go visit some different garages and bargain,usually prices on the net in my exp are way over what you should really pay,esp carzone.check ur mail there

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

A simple and effective negotiating tactic goes something like:

1. Ask sensible questions about the car, take your time examining it. Show them that you are a serious buyer.

2. Tell the seller that you like the car, a little flattery can create a feeling of goodwill and make them want to do a deal with you.

3. Ask the seller what their absolute bottom line price is. When they tell you, look downwards and nod your head thoughtfully a couple of times.

4. Explain that, although you want the car, you really can't afford to go that high. Make it clear that you have the money in your account, that you are ready to buy today. They may at this point (if it's a dealer) try to steer you into another, cheaper car. Politely state that you want this car.

5. Offer a figure you feel to be a bit on the low side, substantially lower than their absolute bottom line. Reiterate that you are ready to do a deal today, but that (although you would like to) you simply can't afford to go any higher. See how this goes down.

From here on it's like a game of chess, every negotiation is different. The point of all the above, though, is to help you to figure out the minimum price the seller really has in his/her head. Remember, you like them, you want to buy the car, you just need a little bit more help on the price.

Hope this helps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 527 ✭✭✭joeperry

See this thread,they're trying to sell their Polo.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055427675

• Closed Accounts Posts: 233 ✭✭cmcsoft

At the moment I'd say negotiation is the name of the game. A friend of mine works as a mechanic and tells me that there's loads of bargains out there and at the moment asking price means nothing....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,024 ✭✭✭JokerD

cmcsoft wrote: »
    At the moment I'd say negotiation is the name of the game. A friend of mine works as a mechanic and tells me that there's loads of bargains out there and at the moment asking price means nothing....

yea I thought bargaining would be a given, however when e-mailing some dealers, they replied that the asking price was the lowest possible cash price which i found a bit weird. Maybe I was naive to think I could bargain down sale prices.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,245 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

JokerD wrote: »
    yea I thought bargaining would be a given, however when e-mailing some dealers, they replied that the asking price was the lowest possible cash price which i found a bit weird. Maybe I was naive to think I could bargain down sale prices.

Nobody will give you their bottom price unless you are sitting in front of them. E-mails, text messages and even telephone calls are pointless when trying to bargin. You will be seen as just another window shopper.

Sorry OP but you need to spend a day or two going into various garages to get the best deal, it will not come to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,455 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

What Anan said. Tends to get good results and can be very effective in particular situations like a difficult market in general (like now) or with particular cars, e.g. older large petrol engined cars

• Registered Users Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭kuro_man

unkel wrote: »
    What Anan said. Tends to get good results and can be very effective in particular situations like a difficult market in general (like now) or with particular cars, e.g. older large petrol engined cars

like a 735i? ;)

Advertisement