Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom Netopia and Vista problem

Options
  • 26-11-2008 2:12am
    Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭

Just got my laptop last week and have noticed that after around 1-2 hrs of being connected wirelessly to my router the connection ceases.

Not only does it not allow me to reconnect to it, but it also stops all the other computers from being connected to it aswell!!

Have had the router for years and have had no problem with xp laptops and macs connecting to it so i'm assuming the problem lies with the amazing Vista. :mad:

Only way to fix it is to restart the router manually! Which is alot of effort, considering i might be all the way upstairs and I'd have to go all the way downstairs to switch it off and on again!

Anyone else suffer this problem?
    Its the netopia 3347NWG.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭Voodoo2

Shanegggg wrote: »
    Just got my laptop last week and have noticed that after around 1-2 hrs of being connected wirelessly to my router the connection ceases.

Not only does it not allow me to reconnect to it, but it also stops all the other computers from being connected to it aswell!!

Have had the router for years and have had no problem with xp laptops and macs connecting to it so i'm assuming the problem lies with the amazing Vista. :mad:

Only way to fix it is to restart the router manually! Which is alot of effort, considering i might be all the way upstairs and I'd have to go all the way downstairs to switch it off and on again!

Anyone else suffer this problem?
    Its the netopia 3347NWG.

Thanks

What kind of laptop is it? - If your having no problems with other laptops it would point to your wireless card drivers or as you siad vista - Make sure your laptop has done a complete windows update! and Just check if there are any updated drivers for you wireless card?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 399 ✭✭Username!

Is this a Dell laptop?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

Voodoo2 wrote: »
    What kind of laptop is it? - If your having no problems with other laptops it would point to your wireless card drivers or as you siad vista - Make sure your laptop has done a complete windows update! and Just check if there are any updated drivers for you wireless card?

+1

Update your drivers first and if it doesn't work, try using an external wifi receiver (belkin, netgear, etc. etc.)... Also, are you using the Windows connection center, or does your laptop manufacturer have a proprietary one?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Have you tried the laptop with any other wireless routers or in a hotspot?

I am curious as to why the laptop would upset the netopia given that it seems to be working fine? Anyone any ideas as to why that aspect of the problem is happening?

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭Shanegggg

Voodoo2 wrote: »

Its a dell xps 1530, the card is the Intel wireless Wifi Link 4965AGN.

Updated the driver last night before i posted and still had the same problem. Go the latest one off the intel website, it wasn't even on the dell website.
    Update your drivers first and if it doesn't work, try using an external wifi receiver (belkin, netgear, etc. etc.)... Also, are you using the Windows connection center, or does your laptop manufacturer have a proprietary one?

Using the windows connection centre. Don't have an external wifi reciever unfortunately.

@dub45: Its very strange alright that it locks up the router. Only the wireless tho, ethernet still works after the wireless stops. I thought it might be Ipv6 so i disabled it but still the same problem.

Will see if it happens again tonight and report back later.
    Cheers for the replies

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭daithijjj

i dont know if this is any help to you but i had similar probs with vista and a belkin router i bought..........tried everything to fix it............brought the router back and got a netgear instead.........no probs to report now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,293 ✭✭✭Fuzzy Clam

Have you tried updating the router firmware? I had a similar problem with a router here with a vista pc. Worth checking.

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭Shanegggg

Yep its the latest firmware. Version 7.6.0r4.

I've think i've pin pointed the issue.

Seems to only happen when the signal is really weak. So i think it must lose the signal, still thinks it has it and keeps trying to find the router without actually disconnecting from it.

Doesn't explain why it locks up the wireless tho.
    Could it just be an compatability issue?

I have a netgear router aswell so i might set that up if i've time this weekend.
    Thanks for all the replies

Advertisement