Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

The Too Good To Be True Thread

Options
  • 26-11-2008 2:25am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 594 ✭✭✭

Hello All,

You know when you see something at a ridiculously lower price than the going rate for said item you say to yourself "Where's the catch"?

Well I spotted a nice motor under the above circumstances and curiosity just had to get the better of me so I made the enquiry. There was no contact telephone number in the advert for the car sale, just the option to email the seller, which I did. The car is pictured in the advert displaying a Republic of Ireland vehicle registration number (history of which would be worthwhile to have checked out). Two days later a reply appeared in my inbox: (please note I have removed sensitive data)

"Hi,
    I'm (name removed), you inquired about my (make/model removed).
    I apologize for the delay, I'm in the military and now I am in United Kingdom and that's why I couldn't reply in time. If you are still interested in buying it, I'm asking (unrealistic price removed) . The car is registered in Ireland. It has a clean title, very well maintained, always garage kept, no rust, excellent condition, runs and sounds 100% perfect with no leaks or noises. All power and optional equipments are working perfect. I have to sell this car as fast as I can because in three weeks I will be in Iraq and I think I'll stay there for a while that's why I'm selling it so cheap. I intend to buy a new car when I'll get back home. If you want to buy the car please e-mail me back.
    Regards!
    (name removed)
    "

So then I said I'd like to arrange a viewing to which I received the following reply:

"The car is here with me at the base, in UK. If you are interested to buy my car we can use a third party escrow broker ( Moneybookers.Com http://www.moneybookers.com/app/help.pl?s=escrow ) to secure the transaction and to handle this whole process for us. Using a reputable E-Commerce third party escrow company will secure the transaction and you will receive the car before I'll get paid and of course I'm also covered because the funds will be kept safety into the escrow account. This is the best way for me even if I'll have to pay some extra money for their services. I'll cover the broker's fee and like I've explained, the shipping will be free because I can use one of our airplanes here and I don't have to pay anything. Let me know if you are interested.

Regards!
    (name removed)
    "

So, early next week this gentleman is due to be serving in Iraq but is recommending that if I am still interested in buying this car I should wire the asking price into his account using the website link he has supplied in his second email.

Any takers for deal of the century?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,801 ✭✭✭✭Gary ITR

Scam... There's a sticky at the top.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement