Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Free education access for non-Europeans?

Options
  • 26-11-2008 2:36am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,136 ✭✭✭

EPP-ED Group in the European Parliament just posted a film about opening door for non-EU students, which means that they would full access to our universities..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EE8qyG4pOnY

Should non-Europeans have as equal access to European universities as European youth already have? Should they have equal right to apply in colleges and moving to the chosen country for studying time? It means no visas and resident permissions for students from non EU member states.

Do you agree with such idea and why?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,283 ✭✭✭✭Scofflaw

WooPeeA wrote: »
    EPP-ED Group in the European Parliament just posted a film about opening door for non-EU students, which means that they would full access to our universities..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EE8qyG4pOnY

Should non-Europeans have as equal access to European universities as European youth already have? Should they have equal right to apply in colleges and moving to the chosen country for studying time? It means no visas and resident permissions for students from non EU member states.

Do you agree with such idea and why?

I can't see why not, really. Universities are, as educational establishments, ideally open to all. The only proper concern I would see is funding.

cordially,
    Scofflaw

• Registered Users Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭Fat_Fingers

i cant see how that will be financed and it will also be open for abuse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,136 ✭✭✭WooPeeA

What kind of abuse?

WooPeeA wrote: »
    What kind of abuse?

One doesn't really need to ask, surely? It will be the usual abuse - furriners coming here as "students" and taking our jobs (well, or the jobs of other furriners, these dayse).

To be fair, such a scheme obviously is open to such abuse, and would therefore need some kind of policing, like businesses having to know their workers are legal, and the universities checking attendance.

Fortunately, these are already the case for students here on a student visa. The only difference would be that the students would not have to obtain a visa - they would still have to comply with all the requirements of a student visa. The scheme is not, therefore, open to any abuse that the current system isn't.

cordially,
    Scofflaw

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭mumhaabu

There is enough trouble funding our public education system as it is. I beleive we should focus our tax euros to educating Irish people so they will stay here and create a future and build up the country.

• Advertisement

mumhaabu wrote: »
    There is enough trouble funding our public education system as it is. I beleive we should focus our tax euros to educating Irish people so they will stay here and create a future and build up the country.

Unfortunately, that doesn't work if there's no graduate-level jobs when you graduate. You can pump all the money you like into education, but if there's no jobs all you're doing is what we did in the 80's - educating productive members of the British or US economy.

cordially,
    Scofflaw

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭mumhaabu

Scofflaw wrote: »
    Unfortunately, that doesn't work if there's no graduate-level jobs when you graduate. You can pump all the money you like into education, but if there's no jobs all you're doing is what we did in the 80's - educating productive members of the British or US economy.

cordially,
    Scofflaw

Alot of the same member who returned in the late nineties and early noughties and helped fuel Ireland's boom. Alot of Irish expats returned mostly those who were illegal in there respective countries (USA mainly) they brought the entrepenuerial spirirt and massive amounts of money with them. A relation of mine returned from the USA in early 1999 and paid over £170,000 for a house and was labelled mental and told he was mad etc. less than four years later people were saying "jeez he was one smart man".

We must keep educating at all costs but for Irish only, there is no point in educating foreigners who will only leave as their countries expeiriences economic growth. The Eastern Europeans have shown no loyalty to Ireland and large numbers have already left as the economy here falters. Irish people are the same we will follow the money and when things are good at home people will always go home, let's be honest people don't really want to leave in the first place but neccesity is the mother of invention.

Ireland can and will recover from this Economic Depression, we need to focus on Education and proving employment to match it. Not to hijack the thread but the Government is doing a really bad job and instead of job losses we could be in positive growth if we had proper governence. We lack infrastructure and we should boorw heavily to fund infrastructure like President Hoover and FDR did during the Great Depression. The Hoover dam being a prime example of a countries resilience during a time of great change and crisis, it won the west by making it inhabitable and set up Nevada and Arizona as America's leading states economically today.

Education good - Government bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,671 ✭✭✭genericgoon

Scofflaw wrote: »
    One doesn't really need to ask, surely? It will be the usual abuse - furriners coming here as "students" and taking our jobs (well, or the jobs of other furriners, these dayse).

To be fair, such a scheme obviously is open to such abuse, and would therefore need some kind of policing, like businesses having to know their workers are legal, and the universities checking attendance.

Fortunately, these are already the case for students here on a student visa. The only difference would be that the students would not have to obtain a visa - they would still have to comply with all the requirements of a student visa. The scheme is not, therefore, open to any abuse that the current system isn't.

cordially,
    Scofflaw

I don't mind bringing the foreign students in as long as they are paying. Why fill our Universities with non-paying furriners when we can get paying ones in instead. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 845 ✭✭✭nhughes100

It won't happen, fees are coming back for third level for Irish and EU. Not only that but non-EU students are a very important source of revenue for the 3rd level sector.

nhughes100 wrote: »
    It won't happen, fees are coming back for third level for Irish and EU. Not only that but non-EU students are a very important source of revenue for the 3rd level sector.

Before we head any further off down that road - the suggestion here is visa-free access to universities in the EU.

Not "free access" as in subsidised.

cordially,
    Scofflaw

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 845 ✭✭✭nhughes100

If that's the case then I misread the op, but I couldn't see that in the current economic situation. Education will be hard pressed enough to deal with the current demands.

nhughes100 wrote: »
    If that's the case then I misread the op, but I couldn't see that in the current economic situation. Education will be hard pressed enough to deal with the current demands.

Well, they could charge them over the odds - that's certainly the usual route. They thereby effectively subsidise the universities. Admittedly, it ensures that only the children of the wealthy can come, but that's not really unusual.

cordially,
    Scofflaw

Advertisement