Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any informal orchestras/music groups?

Options
  • 26-11-2008 2:49am
    Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭

hey just wanted to find out if there were any informal/notuptheirownhole classical groups out there just playing for the fun of it all?

It seems to me that this art is over-occupied by well-established societies who have life-time queues to join (essentially until one of their members quits or dies).

I am a pianist and everytime i wish to join one of these groups they seem never to want anything but strings and winds -which are all well and good but personally I don't want to master violin or trumpet for a bit of fun.

Surely Dublin of all places would have their own informal spin on the classics. Why should we stick to merely cloning music? I have a device that does that for me.

Anyway cheers for reading.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,718 ✭✭✭The Mad Hatter

If you play piano, the best idea is probably to form your own group, I'd say. Pianists are generally in high enough demand as accompanists and soloists, but not so much as ensemble members.

I think it's partly because we're brought up playing on our own.

Advertisement