Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Problem with tyres

Options
  • 26-11-2008 3:04am
    Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭

I have a problem with my tyres
    i have to pump them up nearly every week its very annoying
    im sure i have a slow punture in one but i brought that tyre to a punture repaire place and they cheaked it out and said theres no puncture and pumped it up and gave it back,
    They are low profile tyres and i have to pump up the other ones fairly regularly too
    Does anyone know why this would be happening?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,534 ✭✭✭SV

What kind of driving are you doing?

Are the tires fitted correctly?

What PSI is it dropping to, from?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

Check the valve on the tyres as air could be escaping. There is a key to tighten them best ask your local tyre fitter about this though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭newbie123

There is a key to tightening on tyre valves? what is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭BlueDragon

ClioV6 wrote: »
    What kind of driving are you doing?

Are the tires fitted correctly?

What PSI is it dropping to, from?

I do a lot of aggressive driving because i can never keep tract of time lol

Ya the tyres should be fitted properly because it was the tyre places that have put them on

I pumped all the tyres to 40 then a week later cheaked them the front one which im sure has a slow puncture in it went down to 10
    and one of the back ones went down to 25/30

• Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

newbie123 wrote: »
    There is a key to tightening on tyre valves? what is it?

If I'm not mistaken some valve types are adjustable (maybe this only applies to bikes(the ones you cycle):o), but ask your local tyre fitter for details.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,287 ✭✭✭Ferris

You mentioned that they're low profile tyres.

I'd hazard a guess that you may have cracked or buckled the alloy wheel. If its cracked air can/will escape through it. If its buckled then air can escape around the rim of the tyre.

Do you remember smacking any big potholes?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,685 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

Try putting 1/4 can of tyre weld in each tyre?

I had a similar problem on an old car that had pitted alloys allowing air to escape where the rim met the tyre. A bit of tyre weld in each tyre sorted them right out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭here.from.day.1

Ferris wrote: »
    You mentioned that they're low profile tyres.

I'd hazard a guess that you may have cracked or buckled the alloy wheel. If its cracked air can/will escape through it. If its buckled then air can escape around the rim of the tyre.

Do you remember smacking any big potholes?

I done this 4 times now, its the worst. Its always put the tyre to 0 instantly though.

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭bonham23

`you may need to get them re-fit but this thime get them to apply plenty of bead sealer on the tyre before application. I had this problem too with an old car i had . As previously mentioned if the wheels are pitted or warped slightly air will escape.

• Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭Paddy001

bonham23 wrote: »
    `you may need to get them re-fit but this thime get them to apply plenty of bead sealer on the tyre before application. I had this problem too with an old car i had . As previously mentioned if the wheels are pitted or warped slightly air will escape.

bead sealer is put around the rim and then fit the tyre. That and change the valve, then see how it goes.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Stevie Dakota

Squirt some water with washing up liquid all over them, any leaks should reveal themselves quick enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 315 ✭✭stifz

Happened to me before with a golf. I had seriously low profile tyres on it - Never ever again they broke my heart!

I tried water to see if any bubbles etc nothing showed up. replaced the valves.

Anyway what i found in the same situation was to get the guys in a tyre centre to apply a glue like gum (they have a name for it - the tyre equivalent to silicon) to the rims between the tyres and the wheel walls meet. It seals up the minor leaks around the sides. Job done.

I have to say though it really put me off low profiles forever more. Would'nt touch them now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

Squirt some water with washing up liquid all over them, any leaks should reveal themselves quick enough.
    ^
    |
    |
    What he said.

Alternatively, pump the tyre up to pressure, and dip the whole wheel in the bath/swimming pool/fishpond/cattle trough/whatever.
    Any leak will quickly become apparent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,097 ✭✭✭Darragh29

BlueDragon wrote: »
    I do a lot of aggressive driving because i can never keep tract of time lol

Ya the tyres should be fitted properly because it was the tyre places that have put them on

I pumped all the tyres to 40 then a week later cheaked them the front one which im sure has a slow puncture in it went down to 10
    and one of the back ones went down to 25/30

Any chance they are alloys and you've damaged the inner walls of the wheels driving into potholes and the seal between the tyre and the rim isn't good???

• Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭Paddy001

Rovi wrote: »
    ^
    |
    |
    What he said.

Alternatively, pump the tyre up to pressure, and dip the whole wheel in the bath/swimming pool/fishpond/cattle trough/whatever.
    Any leak will quickly become apparent.

Not if its as slow as he says. Spray it with detergent or something that bubbles, then play the waiting game. Dont forget to pump it to pressure first

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭BlueDragon

Got it cheaked out the air was leeking out of the back of the alloy because it was slightly damaged from potholes he put some seal on it to try and keep the air in, to be honest im not to sure how well that will keep it in, time will tell,
    thanks a lot for your help guys i never would of found out what it was without ye :)

Advertisement