Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No Way! (irish times wed, 26th)

Options
  • 26-11-2008 3:22am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭

Whilst grooming Garth in the way of the heathen this evening by way of a discussion on Liturgical music. I got to thinking about the days of yore and the size of the really big Church and State ceremonies.

Church and State, hand in hand, Corpus Christi parades with the Irish Army marching, the Eucharistic Congress in 1932(wordspic) and Pope JP's visit in 1979.

I thought who paid for these things? There were thousands of people at these events, were they were entitled to foot the bill for it through tax. Who knows!

I go to check a speeling of Eucharistic for a google search and lo-and-behold I find this.

Alleluja!!!!

Ahem! considering the carry on in FAS recently and the state of the economy, are we going to see this sort of thing going on now again? or something.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

It was, they said, their hope "that the 2012 congress will be an opportunity for the Catholic Church in Ireland to reflect on the centrality of the Eucharist at the heart of our increasingly diverse community

A diverse community is fine as long as the Eucharist is at the centre of it. Awesome.

I really hate the Catholic Church.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭studiorat

Someone change the date on that thread title! Twit...

My alternative response to this thread was: "Yay, finally a chance to rape the Pope!"

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

studiorat wrote: »
    Someone change the date on that thread title! Twit...
    That right now?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭toiletduck

London gets the Olympics and we get this, great :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭ChocolateSauce

Finally, a chance to show the Pope how apathetic I am!

Dades wrote: »
    That right now?

need new glasses!
    looking at wrong date...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,849 ✭✭✭condra

I bags the Flying Spaghetti Monster costume at the protests. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,888 ✭✭✭AtomicHorror

Zillah wrote: »
    My alternative response to this thread was: "Yay, finally a chance to rape the Pope!"

That would make an awesome slogan for a t-shirt. Wearing it would be the start of the most interesting day ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭stingray75

it will be interesting to see the public reaction if the government offer any funding.

not that the Crutch is short of cash anyway...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Zamboni

womoma wrote: »
    I bags the Flying Spaghetti Monster costume at the protests. :D

Y'know, if you look closer at the original pic, you can see he attended the first one :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,849 ✭✭✭condra

Hahaha! PBOH!

Spaghetti in Dublin in 1932? Very Unlikely...
    Where's the evidence?:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

He told me he was there.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,718 ✭✭✭The Mad Hatter

Zamboni wrote: »
    Y'know, if you look closer at the original pic, you can see he attended the first one :D

Amazing how He maketh the air around Him vibrate so that, when photographed from that angle, He seems to be surrounded by a perfectly square ion field.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,026 ✭✭✭kelly1

studiorat wrote: »
    Whilst grooming Garth in the way of the heathen this evening by way of a discussion on Liturgical music. I got to thinking about the days of yore and the size of the really big Church and State ceremonies.

Church and State, hand in hand, Corpus Christi parades with the Irish Army marching, the Eucharistic Congress in 1932(wordspic) and Pope JP's visit in 1979.

I thought who paid for these things? There were thousands of people at these events, were they were entitled to foot the bill for it through tax. Who knows!

I go to check a speeling of Eucharistic for a google search and lo-and-behold I find this.

Alleluja!!!!

Ahem! considering the carry on in FAS recently and the state of the economy, are we going to see this sort of thing going on now again? or something.

Begrudgery is alive and well on this forum I see. I assume you won't be in attendance so why does it bother you? Would you be upset if taxpayers money was spent on an atheist conference?

Or are you really hard-up for something to discuss?

kelly1 wrote: »
    Would you be upset if taxpayers money was spent on an atheist conference?

Yes.

Yes.
    I doubt that. Anyway who says taxpayers money will be spent on it?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Zamboni

The capital city being used to stage some medieval circus?
    Of course it worthwhile discussing. :rolleyes:

I doubt that.

Why even ask if you're just going to dismiss a straight forward answer? We're not all capable of double think.

• Advertisement

Would you be upset if taxpayers money was spent on an atheist conference?

Of course we'd find it very strange, but who turns down free money? I'd say it would be reasonable for other groups to question why we'd get it though. Why would we expect such funding?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,809 ✭✭✭CerebralCortex

Begrudgery is alive and well on this forum I see. I assume you won't be in attendance so why does it bother you? Would you be upset if taxpayers money was spent on an atheist conference?

We are entitled to discuss the fact that unfortunately Ireland is associated with the catholic church. Would you not agree?

We are entitled to discuss the fact that unfortunately Ireland is associated with the catholic church. Would you not agree?
    In this day and age, the Church is just another voice among many. Long gone are the days when the state shows deference to the Catholic faith.

What's wrong with having a Eucharistic congress? Should Catholics be denied freedom of expression?

Why even ask if you're just going to dismiss a straight forward answer? We're not all capable of double think.
    Fair point if one is being entirely fair. But I can well imagine how atheists wouldn't be too concerned about where funding for the advancement of their chosen ideology would come from. We're all subject to bias. But as soon as something promoting the Catholic faith comes along, objections are immediately raised. Although in this case, 6 months late.
    Of course we'd find it very strange, but who turns down free money? I'd say it would be reasonable for other groups to question why we'd get it though. Why would we expect such funding?
    I wouldn't expect the taxpayer to fund it but who says it is being funded by the tax-payer?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,057 ✭✭✭Wacker

Long gone are the days when the state shows deference to the Catholic faith.

Well in that case, and seeing as it is coming up in a few weeks, I'll look forward to heading to the pub at about seven p.m. on Christmas Day to kill the boredom that sets in after all the eating & exchanging of gifts.

Oh wait, hang on.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭rockbeer

But I can well imagine how atheists wouldn't be too concerned about where funding for the advancement of their chosen ideology would come from.

I would have thought you'd been around these boards long enough now to have got over these petty misrepresentations.

From the Compact Oxford Dictionary:
    Ideology
    • noun (pl. ideologies) 1 a system of ideas and ideals forming the basis of an economic or political theory. 2 the set of beliefs characteristic of a social group or individual.

Atheism an ideology? That's like calling not liking carrots a philosophy.

When will you christians understand that atheism isn't a system or a set of beliefs?

rockbeer wrote: »
    When will you christians understand that atheism isn't a system or a set of beliefs?
    Pure atheism means a simple lack of belief. It's clear from this forum that many so-called atheists are actually anti-theistic. From what I've seen very few atheists are prepared to accept that belief in God is valid.

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭BJC

I doubt that. Anyway who says taxpayers money will be spent on it?

No one did.
    In this day and age, the Church is just another voice among many. Long gone are the days when the state shows deference to the Catholic faith.

What's wrong with having a Eucharistic congress? Should Catholics be denied freedom of expression?

Whats wrong with it is that most likely the whole of the city will come to a standstill for it.

I've no problem with it if we can stick him in the o2 arena or simmons court. After all, thats where we put all other forms of light entertainment.

Fair point if one is being entirely fair. But I can well imagine how atheists wouldn't be too concerned about where funding for the advancement of their chosen ideology would come from.

Speculation. Also, so what?
    I wouldn't expect the taxpayer to fund it but who says it is being funded by the tax-payer?

I was responding to a question you asked. I wasn't suggesting either event would be.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

My stamp collection disagrees. :(

Advertisement