Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No Way! (irish times wed, 26th)

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭rockbeer

kelly1 wrote: »
    Pure atheism means a simple lack of belief. It's clear from this forum that many so-called atheists are actually anti-theistic. From what I've seen very few atheists are prepared to accept that belief in God is valid.

It kind of goes with the territory that somebody who doesn't believe in god is going to find such a belief 'invalid'. That's still not an ideology.

What do you mean by invalid anyway?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

From the article regarding the recent Quebec congress:
    It marked the 400th anniversary of the founding of that city and was attended by crowds estimated at 12,000-15,000 people.
    That's hardly an affair to get hot under the collar about. A lot more people than that went to Top Gear last week and it hardly ground the city to a halt. If anything there'll be money to be made from all the foreign trippers in spending their congregation's cash.

"While the theme for the next congress has yet to be finalised, we are deeply conscious that 2012 also marks the 50th anniversary of the opening of the Second Vatican Council," they said.
    So instead of griping, we could help out by coming up with a good "theme" for the event.
    I'm thinking Satanic Sluts!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭ChocolateSauce

Fair point if one is being entirely fair. But I can well imagine how atheists wouldn't be too concerned about where funding for the advancement of their chosen ideology would come from. We're all subject to bias. But as soon as something promoting the Catholic faith comes along, objections are immediately raised. Although in this case, 6 months late.

If this is truly what you think, you have badly misjudged us. I wouldn't accept money from the government to promote atheism, not because I wouldn't like it but because doing so would not only be unfair on those who did not agree, but it would make me a hypocrite.

It is a sad reflection on yourself that you would misjudge atheists as unscrupulous double-standard holders.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,457 ✭✭✭Cactus Col

I doubt that. Anyway who says taxpayers money will be spent on it?

Just crazy Atheists making assumptions again. Need to complain about something, so may as well make something up to complain about.

Although, it does make sense for either the govt or dublin council to welcome the Congress with open arms. After all it's a big event which will draw tens of thousands of people to the city.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

Dades wrote: »
    I'm thinking Satanic Sluts!
    Any respect I had for you....gone. :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,179 ✭✭✭RichTea

toiletduck wrote: »
    London gets the Olympics and we get this, great :pac:

I'm telling ya, they got the raw deal!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Any respect I had for you....gone. :(
    Helena, I'm hoping you just missed out on the Late Late thread which was ongoing at the time - see Fanny Craddocks post here.

I was just being "current". :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭studiorat

Begrudgery is alive and well on this forum I see. I assume you won't be in attendance so why does it bother you? Would you be upset if taxpayers money was spent on an atheist conference?

Or are you really hard-up for something to discuss?

Hi Kelly san,
    I was looking at the wrong date on the Irish Times article, I actually thought it was news at the time.

Anyway the congress in 1932 does interest me from an historical point of view. The photo is pretty spectacular, I think you'll agree. I was wondering who funded such things amongst other things. I reckoned if there was as many people as say the Phoenix park in 1979, why wouldn't they be entitled to have it come from their tax? democracy and all that lark.

So apart from trying to motivate a little discussion on the matter, there actually is a genuine interest in the thing.

My protest at the bottom of the OP was purely in jest, I think you'll see that if you read it again.

I meant "No Way!" in a "Bill and Ted" kind of "No Way!". As opposed to an Ian Paisley kind of "No Way!":)

To finish, I'm not sure how the Catholic Church in Ireland makes it's money these days but if money was being spent by Govnt. for such an event. I would also like to see funding for the pursuit of promoting purely secular agendas too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 879 ✭✭✭UU

BJC wrote: »
    No one did.

Whats wrong with it is that most likely the whole of the city will come to a standstill for it.

I've no problem with it if we can stick him in the o2 arena or simmons court. After all, thats where we put all other forms of light entertainment.
    Oh my dear, you had me laughing for five minutes after reading that! lol Well the RDS could work too!

- Hey I'm gonna buy a ticket to see the Pope in the RDS, what about you? lol (as if!)

Advertisement