Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What is the idea of God which you reject?

Options
2»

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

as an admin I would expect that you support fair and balanced arguments even if a post seems n00bish as you've been through the wars in such discussions.
    I didn't post as an admin or a mod. I posted my opinion on your generalisation, which I felt was pointless, as are all generalisations. No-one can deny that throughout history people have done very courageous things to help other people in the name of religion. You don't need to believe in a god to admit that.

I wonder how many people who've dedicated their lives to a god you've actually called cowards to their face.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,257 ✭✭✭SoupyNorman

Dades wrote: »
    I didn't post as an admin or a mod. I posted my opinion on your generalisation, which I felt was pointless, as are all generalisations. No-one can deny that throughout history people have done very courageous things to help other people in the name of religion. You don't need to believe in a god to admit that.

I wonder how many people who've dedicated their lives to a god you've actually called cowards to their face.

You may have felt that my post was a generalisation and pointless but I didnt, funny how we have different beliefs. Rather then just jump on me with a *rolleyes attitude you could have asked why I believe what I do. MAYBE I dont really know why and some constructive discussion could have been a healthy path to take.

I guess we'll never know.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Rather then just jump on me with a *rolleyes attitude you could have asked why I believe what I do.
    Nobody jumped on you. You made a big frickin' generalisation and got called on it. And I have NEVER used a rolleyes thank you very much!

I'm sure I know why you believe what you do - and I would agree it applies to many. You just can't possibly apply it to all.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭ChocolateSauce

I reject the fact that 'God' is used as a tool by its advocate's to pedal fear, profit, control and utter lunacy on our malleable minds.

For me, people who dedicate their lives following 'God' are cowards. Afraid to face life alone, constantly quoting Fiction where and when circumstance dictates.

One might argue that people who face life with the constant fear of ever lasting torment are very brave. If I honestly thought I'd face hell (and I've experienced it...bad trip) I'd be terrified.

I know I shouldn't make generalisations, but generally speaking, generalisations lack precision.

*captain obvious AWAY!*

:pac::pac::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

For me, people who dedicate their lives following 'God' are cowards. Afraid to face life alone, constantly quoting Fiction where and when circumstance dictates.

Alright, let's do this thing:

First of all the concept of cowardice requires a choice. One must chose a cowardly path to be a coward. Belief in God is just that, a belief. One does not choose a belief, once is merely convinced or unconvinced by one's experiences. Belief in God can no more be cowardly than belief in elves can be angry.

However, you used the word "following". I'm not sure where you're going with that, but do you mean to imply that priests and nuns are cowards for choosing that path? I think it's quite brave, if foolish of them. The idea of being committed to a life of servitude, forced to follow strange and severe restrictions is terrifying to me. That takes dedication.

Finally, they don't believe they are quoting fiction, they think they're presenting the word of God, which is really a very reasonable behaviour once you accept the premise. If I believed in God I'd quote him all the time. Also, please bear in mind that there are plenty of religious people who are intellectually consistent in their position, they don't quote as circumstances dictate, they live by the word of God regardless of what kind of temporal impact that may have.

• Advertisement
Advertisement